steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
December 11th, 2012 at 11:53:13 AM permalink
It's only a burden if you don't properly plan on it. Making it all paid time off eases that burden considerably. Even handed. Fair. No ill will created between associates. Easy to plan on.

And....respectfully, someone in his position should never try to compare his work rules to someone in Tim's. Never. I sure as hell wouldn't. Anyone well compensated would probably be fine with Soopo's work rules. I am and I don't begrudge Tim anything.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
steeldco
steeldco
December 11th, 2012 at 12:26:38 PM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

Soopoo is more than equiped to defend himself, but I agree with his point regardless profession. When someone calls in sick, it puts a burden on others who do not call in sick. Therefore to use the company provided benefit of paid sick days should only be done when one is to sick to work (or other covered reason).

MidwestAP, not to be a jerk and just to reiterate and clarify.......should I, or anyone, making $200K or $300K and having some equity in a business be comparing myself and my benefits, and work rules, to someone earning say $60K with no equity or stake? Over the question of 6 days of pay worth maybe $1,300? People really are too judgemental without knowing or understanding all of the facts......
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 175
December 11th, 2012 at 12:33:28 PM permalink
Quote:

When someone calls in sick, it puts a burden on others who do not call in sick.

This is a significant factor at low pay scales. It matters to employees picking up the slack for non-sick people. (I might say, it matters at high pay scales, but maybe the compensation makes it easier)
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
December 11th, 2012 at 12:34:19 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

MidwestAP, not to be a jerk and just to reiterate and clarify.......should I, or anyone, making $200K or $300K and having some equity in a business be comparing myself and my benefits, and work rules, to someone earning say $60K with no equity or stake? Over the question of 6 days of pay worth maybe $1,300? People really are too judgemental without knowing or understanding all of the facts......

What's there to understand? The common fact is this: ALL other workers have to cover for the sake of the business, whether a doctor in an office or a cook at McDonalds.

There IS a feeling that the lower the job, the easier it is to blow off work, true.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 11th, 2012 at 12:36:49 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

What's there to understand? The common fact is this: ALL other workers have to cover for the sake of the business, whether a doctor in an office or a cook at McDonalds.

There IS a feeling that the lower the job, the easier it is to blow off work, true.

I think it is closely related to how easy it is to replace you. The more difficult, the more generous the policy.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
December 11th, 2012 at 12:37:54 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Tim- I understand your thoughts, but if they wanted you to use all those days 'no matter what', they wouldn't call them sick days! And I don't know what your career goals are, but right or wrong, your behavior has been noticed by your bosses and I can't imagine it is good for you.

I understand that.
And I understand what my career goals are...or at least I should after doing it for 12 years...
On a lighter note...
Early on in my career, I had a boss tell me "We're no opting to rehire you...we don't want to ruin anyone's career here." (Simply because when they originally hired me, they THOUGHT I was someone they knew's kid...When they had full INTENTION on trying to ruin my career by making my first step in the business a black mark) WELLLLLL, look at me, 12 years later, at the top of the game...
And SOOPOO, we are two people that absolutely CAN NOT call in sick (Doctor and IT guy) hahaha...people's live's can't go on without us!
My behavior has only been noticed by my immediate boss (who is a douche), the MAIN BOSS could literally care less...he just gets mad when my immediate boss complains to him. (Personally, if it were me, I'd say "Clean your own backyard.")
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
steeldco
steeldco
December 11th, 2012 at 12:40:57 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Dan,sorry to have inserted that last sentence about being judgemental. It was off point.
The point was that if you're going to make comparisons, do so covering all aspects, and not just parts.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 11th, 2012 at 12:45:17 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

If a partner calls in sick another partner who was supposed to be off has to work.

Quote: MidwestAP

When someone calls in sick, it puts a burden on others who do not call in sick. Therefore to use the company provided benefit of paid sick days should only be done when one is to sick to work (or other covered reason).

In some jobs, certainly not all, being absent from work does not mean that someone else has to do your job. Instead, it means that you are behind, and when you get back to the place of work, you have to do "today's" work as well as what you didn't get done when you were out. This, of course, assumes that the tasks can wait for you.

Different places have different ways of dealing with that situation, but it's not too different from the way work is usually handled in self-employment -- you keep working until all of your responsibilities are completed. If you get too far behind, such as with an extended absence, something probably gets dropped entirely.
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
December 11th, 2012 at 12:46:18 PM permalink
and on the note of "other people having to pickup the slack for my absence"
I am the only person in the IT department...when I'm out, it just doesn't get done.
Hence me not really being able to take a REAL vacation (some of you people who take a week or two off...I bite my thumb at you...if I were to do that, HA! I can imagine the nuclear warzone I'd come back to!)
On the same point...when I'm out sick, I have my netbook close by and my phone, so if something DOES happen, I can just jump in remotely and fix it...
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
December 11th, 2012 at 12:46:52 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

In some jobs, certainly not all, being absent from work does not mean that someone else has to do your job. Instead, it means that you are behind, and when you get back to the place of work, you have to do "today's" work as well as what you didn't get done when you were out.
Different places have different ways of dealing with that situation, but it's not too different from the way work is usually handled in self-employment -- you keep working until all of your responsibilities are completed. If you get too far behind, such as with an extended absence, something probably gets dropped entirely.

Doc just barely beat me to it...

• Jump to: