Poll

25 votes (83.33%)
5 votes (16.66%)

30 members have voted

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:34:37 PM permalink
Do you believe that the presidential election will be over by 9am eastern time on Wednesday? By over, I mean that the loser has made a concession speech?

I make the odds 1 - 6 that it will be over, but how much fun will it be if it is not!
PlayYourCardsRight
PlayYourCardsRight
  • Threads: 10
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:42:16 PM permalink
Had you said 9 pm eastern time Tuesday, it might be closer. I think it will be clearly over Tuesday night.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:47:43 PM permalink
And I just thought of this.... Do the candidates already have 'acceptance speeches' and 'concession speeches' prepared?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:50:50 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

And I just thought of this.... Do the candidates already have 'acceptance speeches' and 'concession speeches' prepared?

Unless it is a slam-dunk like 1984 they almost always will have both. Someone else write them anyways. I predict it will be over by 11:00 PM in that it has been called. This holds even if all states have been called but not all by any one network, as 2004 was. Full concession speech might be the next morning.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:55:31 PM permalink
All the news networks are saying 'it could be a very long
night' which almost always means it won't be.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 3rd, 2012 at 5:58:33 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

All the news networks are saying 'it could be a very long
night' which almost always means it won't be.

They are just talking about for the people who have to look at Rachel Maddow all night.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 3rd, 2012 at 6:04:21 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

They do! The concession speech has a good bit of taboo associated with it. Usually candidates review speeches ahead of time and give input. But they almost never let the candidate look at the concession speech until the polls have closed.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
November 3rd, 2012 at 6:04:34 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

They are just talking about for the people who have to look at Rachel Maddow all night.

My husband loves her. Go figure.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 3rd, 2012 at 6:07:34 PM permalink

LOL!! nice! I would rather look at Wolf Blitzer.

But really, it'll be a long night whether the presidential election is over or not. There are like 10 competitive house races in CA, there are competitive races in HI, the AZ senate race is competitive... It'll be 1am EST before any of those races are ready to be called just because of the time difference involved.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
November 3rd, 2012 at 6:13:15 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

All the news networks are saying 'it could be a very long night' which almost always means it won't be.

Almost always.

Also, there's a chance that the Senate ends up 50-49 in favor of the party that doesn't win the White House, with one race too close to call until all of the ballots are in (and even then, there would probably be a recount) - that could make it a long night as well.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 3rd, 2012 at 6:32:31 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

My husband loves her. Go figure.

I love Megyn Kelly. My god she's gorgeous, and
smart. I remember her sparring with the weener
Anthony Weiner before he banned himself from
society. She frequently tore him a new one and
I bet he loved every minute of it.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
November 3rd, 2012 at 6:40:22 PM permalink
I voted no just because I think there's a greater chance than 1/8 that it won't be over.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 3rd, 2012 at 8:19:08 PM permalink
Fox News just needs to borrow Sandra Smith from Fox Business:

And pair her up with Julie Banderas from Fox News:

Boom, they've got me, sorry CNN, sorry Erin Burnett.

Erin Burnett is really attractive and has great eyes, don't get me wrong, but come on, Sandra Smith & Julie Banderas, please!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
bbvk05
bbvk05
  • Threads: 7
November 4th, 2012 at 12:45:19 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

They do! The concession speech has a good bit of taboo associated with it. Usually candidates review speeches ahead of time and give input. But they almost never let the candidate look at the concession speech until the polls have closed.

This is a fact. Most campaigns have highly superstitious elements floating about. Concession speeches are pre-written but the candidate will almost never look at them until polls close and it can't have magical or unintended effects on voting.
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
November 4th, 2012 at 2:24:41 AM permalink

Wait...I can't tell if you're implying she's hot or ugly. I think she's kinda hot...for a Bieber lesbian.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
November 4th, 2012 at 4:11:09 AM permalink
Quote: ewjones080

Wait...I can't tell if you're implying she's hot or ugly. I think she's kinda hot...for a Bieber lesbian.

You have to love her uni-brow!!
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
November 4th, 2012 at 5:31:28 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

You have to love her uni-brow!!

I'm all for making fun or people's personal appearance but I try to keep it within the realm of reality. Uni-brow?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
RonC
RonC
November 4th, 2012 at 5:42:06 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

I'm all for making fun or people's personal appearance but I try to keep it within the realm of reality. Uni-brow?

Reality, my friend, is that when I tried watching her show--and I do try to watch MSNBC but I have a hard time with a network that will give a show to Al Sharpton--I found her brow to be unkempt and ugly. It leans towards the heavy side in this picture but is not too bad. I've seen it a lot worse; hence her "unibrow" has been distracting when I have tried to watch her show.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
November 4th, 2012 at 6:10:12 AM permalink
We should have made the poll, "At what time will Romney have collected his 320 electoral college vote mandate" LOL.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 4th, 2012 at 6:13:29 AM permalink

Reality, my friend, is that when I tried watching her show--and I do try to watch MSNBC but I have a hard time with a network that will give a show to Al Sharpton--I found her brow to be unkempt and ugly. It leans towards the heavy side in this picture but is not too bad. I've seen it a lot worse; hence her "unibrow" has been distracting when I have tried to watch her show.

Here's a picture with her gigantic nose and birth control glasses and geeky pencil neck. Have at it, but uni-brow? I think not.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
RonC
RonC
November 4th, 2012 at 6:54:41 AM permalink

Here's a picture with her gigantic nose and birth control glasses and geeky pencil neck. Have at it, but uni-brow? I think not.

You have your opinion and I have mine. I don't like caterpillars for eyebrows.

Can't we just leave it at that or do you insist on posting more pictures of her?

Geez.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 4th, 2012 at 7:04:20 AM permalink

Can't we just leave it at that or do you insist on posting more pictures of her?

Geez.

Here's her high school picture :)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 4th, 2012 at 7:07:29 AM permalink

Geez.

Hear Hear! If I had known all these pics would show up I would never have made the joke in the first place.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 4th, 2012 at 7:58:22 AM permalink
Make up for it with a few pics of crazy ol' man Reilly or drug addled Limbaugh. Then people can retaliate with the nerd/Buscemi cross that is Franken.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 4th, 2012 at 8:18:29 AM permalink

Geez.

Unibrow is a word with a definition. She doesn't meet it. How can you guys possibly "discuss" this. There's no room for opinion here.
RonC
RonC
November 4th, 2012 at 8:34:28 AM permalink

Unibrow is a word with a definition. She doesn't meet it. How can you guys possibly "discuss" this. There's no room for opinion here.

Yes, "unibrow" is a word with a definition. While none of the pictures shown meet that definition, I saw with my own eyes markedly large and closer eyebrows than most pictures show. What would one expect? Most publicity shots are made to cast a good light on things and she obviously does not always let them grow as full as I saw them at the point where I was watching her.

What she had, as described by more than one of the women in my household, was what is known as a unibrow. Was it actually closed across like that basketball dude? No, of course not. They were big, thick, and distracting.

So, was it actually a "unibrow". No, not by the strictest definition. Was it ugly? Yes.

There are lots of words with definitions that we can discuss. it doesn't really matter whether or not you feel "we can't possibly discuss" it; I think we all take some liberty with definitions around here.

I found her ugly to look at and listening to her show was an even uglier experience. The pure hatred for any idea no within her liberal positions was sickening. It wasn't just that she was advocating progressive positions, it was her condescending attitude towards anything that had to do with a different opinion.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 4th, 2012 at 8:51:23 AM permalink
Quote:

It wasn't just that she was advocating progressive positions, it was her condescending attitude towards anything that had to do with a different opinion.

Imagine that. A political commentator that is so rigid and unyielding, that anything outside their world view is mocked.

It's a disease that's common across the political spectrum.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 4th, 2012 at 8:55:12 AM permalink

So, was it actually a "unibrow". No, not by the strictest definition. Was it ugly? Yes.

Okay, then go with ugly. "Ugly" is subjective. I'm really okay with that. "Unibrow" is not subjective. It's something that is well defined.
RonC
RonC
November 4th, 2012 at 9:15:16 AM permalink

Okay, then go with ugly. "Ugly" is subjective. I'm really okay with that. "Unibrow" is not subjective. It's something that is well defined.

She was ugly, had an ugly demeanor, and a thick pair of eyebrows that neared unibrow status when I watched her show.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
November 4th, 2012 at 9:17:09 AM permalink

She was ugly, had an ugly demeanor, and a thick pair of eyebrows that neared unibrow status when I watched her show.

So, basically, if Bill O'reilly had a vagina...
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 4th, 2012 at 11:14:07 AM permalink

I'd ask "How do you know that he doesn't?" but I think Andrea Mackris can vouch for it.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 4th, 2012 at 11:32:14 AM permalink
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 6th, 2012 at 11:34:49 PM permalink
Over at 1 A.M., so the anyone betting almost lost due to being over on Tuesday.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
November 7th, 2012 at 1:37:27 AM permalink

He'd be Ann Coulter... now she's an ugly b**ch..
  • Jump to: