Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
September 3rd, 2012 at 8:51:28 PM permalink
Moonshining in WVa in the 30s. I don't want to give it away, so I'll just say what is good about it.

The cast is pretty good, Shia LaBoeuf is actually probably the weakest link but he's still believable. The rest of the cast is unfamiliar to me, but they might be known by younger audiences. I thought they worked together well.

The cinematography is just phenomenal. This is a beautiful looking film. I guess that's to be expected these days, but I like it when the way things are framed and shown serve the story.

The soundtrack kicks ass.

I enjoyed this film. It is an action movie; as it progresses, tension and anxiety build relentlessly. The plot is linear, without twists; it starts slowly and accelerates, and is moving breakneck by the end.

I give it a solid 8, worth seeing. Entertaining and really, really well made, and with some good acting. Better than most action films over the past 10 years. People act like people here, and that makes it feel right.
A falling knife has no handle.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 3rd, 2012 at 8:53:05 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

The cinematography is just phenomenal. This is a beautiful looking film.

My dads family is from W VA. There is some beautiful country
there, lots of mountains that seem to go straight up and straight
down. Lots of spooky mists in the morning and in the woods.
Way too humid for me. You can see how catching moonshiners
is a problem, much of the hill country is impassable still..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
September 3rd, 2012 at 8:59:02 PM permalink
Franklin County is in East Virginia. Near Roanoke. I was just there last weekend.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Mosca
Mosca
September 3rd, 2012 at 9:22:29 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

Franklin County is in East Virginia. Near Roanoke. I was just there last weekend.

Thanks, FFV. I thought it was West Virginia. It sure looked like it, like Bob's description. It looks a lot like southwestern PA, where I grew up. It doesn't detract from the movie, it just makes my description of it wrong!

Edited to add, I was curious to see where it was filmed: Coweta County, Georgia. Huh. Go figure.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 3rd, 2012 at 9:25:53 PM permalink

Thanks, FFV. I thought it was West Virginia. It sure looked like it, like Bob's description. It looks a lot like southwestern PA, where I grew up. It doesn't detract from the movie, it just makes my description of it wrong!

And it was filmed in Georgia! They give tax breaks if you film there.

The guy who wrote The Joneses wanted to film in our neighborhood since his dad was a builder around here and he had constructed many of the homes, so he had this area in mind when he wrote the screenplay, but Georgia was cheaper.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Mosca
Mosca
September 3rd, 2012 at 9:27:49 PM permalink
Hey, my edit lost to your informative post!
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 3rd, 2012 at 9:29:20 PM permalink

Hey, my edit lost to your informative post!

Nah--I was editing mine to reflect the name of the movie--it was changed from the original because there was a TV series of that name.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 3rd, 2012 at 9:32:38 PM permalink
"The cinematography is just phenomenal." I loved the trees in Oh, brother where art thou " Really pissed first year I was in Colorado and everbody said I had to go see the aspens turn. They turn yellow big deal.

Then special effect feature on Oh Brouher DVd showed how the computer painted the leaves. SIGH
  • Jump to: