Poll

16 votes (37.2%)
14 votes (32.55%)
1 vote (2.32%)
12 votes (27.9%)
7 votes (16.27%)
3 votes (6.97%)
1 vote (2.32%)
1 vote (2.32%)
15 votes (34.88%)
5 votes (11.62%)

43 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
Thanked by
Mission146
September 8th, 2021 at 3:33:08 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Sometimes. My fiancee has her money and I have mine, anyway, then we have money that is ours.

  • link to original post



    Mine had her own money, and everything else was ours.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    • Threads: 16
    • Posts: 5608
    Joined: Jul 23, 2014
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    September 8th, 2021 at 3:34:38 PM permalink
    Quote: Mission146

    My fiancee has her money and I have mine, anyway, then we have money that is ours.

  • link to original post



    My wife has her money, which she spends, and then my money, which she spends after hers runs out.

    But I get to hold it a while, so that's nice.
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    Mission146
    Mission146
    • Threads: 142
    • Posts: 16832
    Joined: May 15, 2012
    September 8th, 2021 at 3:52:15 PM permalink
    Quote: DRich

    Quote: Mission146

    Sometimes. My fiancee has her money and I have mine, anyway, then we have money that is ours.

  • link to original post



    I understand it for non married people.
  • link to original post



    If we ever do have a big wedding, it's coming from her money. JK
    https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
    DRich
    DRich
    • Threads: 86
    • Posts: 11883
    Joined: Jul 6, 2012
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    September 8th, 2021 at 4:05:12 PM permalink
    Quote: Mission146

    Quote: DRich

    Quote: Mission146

    Sometimes. My fiancee has her money and I have mine, anyway, then we have money that is ours.

  • link to original post



    I understand it for non married people.
  • link to original post



    If we ever do have a big wedding, it's coming from her money. JK
  • link to original post



    Why would you want a big wedding. Just come to Vegas and invite your most "Thanked" forum poster.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    Mission146
    Mission146
    • Threads: 142
    • Posts: 16832
    Joined: May 15, 2012
    Thanked by
    Hunterhill
    September 8th, 2021 at 4:08:00 PM permalink
    I don't know why I would want one, but my fiancee will tell you why I want one if you ask her.
    https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
    DRich
    DRich
    • Threads: 86
    • Posts: 11883
    Joined: Jul 6, 2012
    September 8th, 2021 at 4:11:50 PM permalink
    Quote: Mission146

    I don't know why I would want one, but my fiancee will tell you why I want one if you ask her.

  • link to original post



    To each their own. I actually had a church wedding for my second one and neither of us had been in a church the preceding 15 years.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    billryan
    billryan
    • Threads: 240
    • Posts: 16282
    Joined: Nov 2, 2009
    September 8th, 2021 at 4:16:13 PM permalink
    Quote: DRich

    Quote: Mission146

    I don't know why I would want one, but my fiancee will tell you why I want one if you ask her.

  • link to original post



    To each their own. I actually had a church wedding for my second one and neither of us had been in a church the preceding 15 years.
  • link to original post




    Best thing about church weddings is you don't have to worry about people showing up in khaki shorts.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    Mission146
    Mission146
    • Threads: 142
    • Posts: 16832
    Joined: May 15, 2012
    September 8th, 2021 at 4:21:50 PM permalink
    Whatís the problem with that? I canít imagine that our wedding will have a dress code for guests.

    The most recent wedding I attended (five or six years ago, I think) I was worried Iíd be embarrassed due to not wearing a tie, but I truly hate ties. The good news is half of the guys there were also just wearing open dress shirts.

    EDIT: Four years ago. I just remembered an event that happened in close proximity to the wedding and I remember the year that took place.
    https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
    DRich
    DRich
    • Threads: 86
    • Posts: 11883
    Joined: Jul 6, 2012
    September 8th, 2021 at 4:26:59 PM permalink
    Quote: billryan

    Quote: DRich

    Quote: Mission146

    I don't know why I would want one, but my fiancee will tell you why I want one if you ask her.

  • link to original post



    To each their own. I actually had a church wedding for my second one and neither of us had been in a church the preceding 15 years.
  • link to original post




    Best thing about church weddings is you don't have to worry about people showing up in khaki shorts.
  • link to original post



    No, the best thing s the ministers and priests don't charge you anything.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    • Threads: 213
    • Posts: 12318
    Joined: Feb 28, 2010
    January 25th, 2023 at 7:46:13 AM permalink
    I noticed that when I load a Starbucks card now, the machine asks if I want to add a tip as well?! I realize it's probably more a glitch of the way the machine processing works than intentional, but good grief. It's similar to buying a gift card and being asked for a tip when you load it.
    There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
    DRich
    DRich
    • Threads: 86
    • Posts: 11883
    Joined: Jul 6, 2012
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    January 25th, 2023 at 3:34:57 PM permalink
    Quote: rxwine

    I noticed that when I load a Starbucks card now, the machine asks if I want to add a tip as well?! I realize it's probably more a glitch of the way the machine processing works than intentional, but good grief. It's similar to buying a gift card and being asked for a tip when you load it.
    link to original post



    I have worked on many Point Of Sale systems and it is just usually a single configuration option to ask for tips on sales. It doesn't distinguish what is being sold.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    7NeverWins
    7NeverWins
    • Threads: 1
    • Posts: 72
    Joined: Aug 30, 2022
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    January 25th, 2023 at 4:53:31 PM permalink
    The slot and ETG machines at Wind Creek have an option to Tip the cocktail server, however it only comes up AFTER the drink is delivered and the server is half way across the casino floor away from you.

    I always tip them at least $2, but it's quite absurd that the machine wants to ask for a tip after the drink server is gone! I realize many slot junkies don't carry small bills and would rather tip out of winnings, similar to table players.

    But if I opted to tip on the machine instead of handing them crisp dollar bills, how does that help anyone? The server will think you are cheap for not tipping and probably won't see the electronic tip until later, so she won't thank you. And the house will then be able to track any tips they get, making their write offs a lot more scrutinized!

    Or do they honestly expect you to tip twice??
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    • Threads: 122
    • Posts: 11083
    Joined: Aug 8, 2010
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    January 25th, 2023 at 5:58:51 PM permalink
    Quote: 7NeverWins

    The slot and ETG machines at Wind Creek have an option to Tip the cocktail server, however it only comes up AFTER the drink is delivered and the server is half way across the casino floor away from you.

    I always tip them at least $2, but it's quite absurd that the machine wants to ask for a tip after the drink server is gone! I realize many slot junkies don't carry small bills and would rather tip out of winnings, similar to table players.

    But if I opted to tip on the machine instead of handing them crisp dollar bills, how does that help anyone? The server will think you are cheap for not tipping and probably won't see the electronic tip until later, so she won't thank you. And the house will then be able to track any tips they get, making their write offs a lot more scrutinized!

    Or do they honestly expect you to tip twice??
    link to original post



    Heaven forbid the cocktail waitress has to pay taxes on her income!

    In practicality, they will just get used to getting some (most?) of their tips later through the computer system. If YOU are afraid of looking cheap to a cocktail waitress you need more self worth. If it really means that much to you, tip her the old fashioned way.
    billryan
    billryan
    • Threads: 240
    • Posts: 16282
    Joined: Nov 2, 2009
    Thanked by
    Mission146Hunterhill
    January 25th, 2023 at 6:26:38 PM permalink
    When I tip anyone, I want to hand it to them and expect a thank you.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    unJon
    unJon
    • Threads: 14
    • Posts: 4654
    Joined: Jul 1, 2018
    Thanked by
    RogerKintMission146
    January 25th, 2023 at 8:11:43 PM permalink
    Quote: SOOPOO

    Quote: 7NeverWins

    The slot and ETG machines at Wind Creek have an option to Tip the cocktail server, however it only comes up AFTER the drink is delivered and the server is half way across the casino floor away from you.

    I always tip them at least $2, but it's quite absurd that the machine wants to ask for a tip after the drink server is gone! I realize many slot junkies don't carry small bills and would rather tip out of winnings, similar to table players.

    But if I opted to tip on the machine instead of handing them crisp dollar bills, how does that help anyone? The server will think you are cheap for not tipping and probably won't see the electronic tip until later, so she won't thank you. And the house will then be able to track any tips they get, making their write offs a lot more scrutinized!

    Or do they honestly expect you to tip twice??
    link to original post



    Heaven forbid the cocktail waitress has to pay taxes on her income!

    In practicality, they will just get used to getting some (most?) of their tips later through the computer system. If YOU are afraid of looking cheap to a cocktail waitress you need more self worth. If it really means that much to you, tip her the old fashioned way.
    link to original post



    Judgmental much?

    Could just mean you want the cocktail waitress to serve the next round quickly. Tips should be incentivizing after all.
    The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    • Threads: 122
    • Posts: 11083
    Joined: Aug 8, 2010
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    January 26th, 2023 at 4:52:17 AM permalink
    Quote: unJon

    Quote: SOOPOO

    Quote: 7NeverWins

    The slot and ETG machines at Wind Creek have an option to Tip the cocktail server, however it only comes up AFTER the drink is delivered and the server is half way across the casino floor away from you.

    I always tip them at least $2, but it's quite absurd that the machine wants to ask for a tip after the drink server is gone! I realize many slot junkies don't carry small bills and would rather tip out of winnings, similar to table players.

    But if I opted to tip on the machine instead of handing them crisp dollar bills, how does that help anyone? The server will think you are cheap for not tipping and probably won't see the electronic tip until later, so she won't thank you. And the house will then be able to track any tips they get, making their write offs a lot more scrutinized!

    Or do they honestly expect you to tip twice??
    link to original post



    Heaven forbid the cocktail waitress has to pay taxes on her income!

    In practicality, they will just get used to getting some (most?) of their tips later through the computer system. If YOU are afraid of looking cheap to a cocktail waitress you need more self worth. If it really means that much to you, tip her the old fashioned way.
    link to original post



    Judgmental much?

    Could just mean you want the cocktail waitress to serve the next round quickly. Tips should be incentivizing after all.
    link to original post



    Perhaps too judgmental! But of course, if you think your tip is being used to buy better service, then that is sort of sad, too. Implying your gambling isnít enough to get you that Ďfreeí drink. But in the real world, you are correct.
    DRich
    DRich
    • Threads: 86
    • Posts: 11883
    Joined: Jul 6, 2012
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    January 26th, 2023 at 5:28:37 AM permalink
    Quote: SOOPOO



    Heaven forbid the cocktail waitress has to pay taxes on her income!

    In practicality, they will just get used to getting some (most?) of their tips later through the computer system. If YOU are afraid of looking cheap to a cocktail waitress you need more self worth. If it really means that much to you, tip her the old fashioned way.



    Tipped employees in Las Vegas make a killing not being taxed. Most servers and bartenders. Most places conform to a tip compliance program offered by the IRS that just tips them a flat % of sales. The bartenders make a killing because 75% of their drinks are comped and they are not tracked for tips given on slot machine payouts where the majority of their money comes from. I know lots and lots of bartenders that work at local bars that are bringing home $100k and being taxed on maybe $20k of it.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 242
    • Posts: 14070
    Joined: Nov 2, 2009
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    January 26th, 2023 at 6:23:33 AM permalink
    Quote: 7NeverWins

    The slot and ETG machines at Wind Creek have an option to Tip the cocktail server, however it only comes up AFTER the drink is delivered and the server is half way across the casino floor away from you.

    I always tip them at least $2, but it's quite absurd that the machine wants to ask for a tip after the drink server is gone! I realize many slot junkies don't carry small bills and would rather tip out of winnings, similar to table players.

    But if I opted to tip on the machine instead of handing them crisp dollar bills, how does that help anyone? The server will think you are cheap for not tipping and probably won't see the electronic tip until later, so she won't thank you. And the house will then be able to track any tips they get, making their write offs a lot more scrutinized!

    Or do they honestly expect you to tip twice??
    link to original post



    In this kind of system the servers will get used to so much of it being from the machine and accept it. The house probably tracks tips anyhow. There is a high chance that the waitresses and any other cash handling employees (dealers, etc) are not allowed to carry any of their own cash on the floor, meaning any money on them at all is house money. Also a good chance they pool tips and have to tip-up to the employee bartender since they get no customer tips.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    Mission146
    Mission146
    • Threads: 142
    • Posts: 16832
    Joined: May 15, 2012
    January 26th, 2023 at 7:31:16 AM permalink
    Quote: DRich

    Quote: SOOPOO



    Heaven forbid the cocktail waitress has to pay taxes on her income!

    In practicality, they will just get used to getting some (most?) of their tips later through the computer system. If YOU are afraid of looking cheap to a cocktail waitress you need more self worth. If it really means that much to you, tip her the old fashioned way.



    Tipped employees in Las Vegas make a killing not being taxed. Most servers and bartenders. Most places conform to a tip compliance program offered by the IRS that just tips them a flat % of sales. The bartenders make a killing because 75% of their drinks are comped and they are not tracked for tips given on slot machine payouts where the majority of their money comes from. I know lots and lots of bartenders that work at local bars that are bringing home $100k and being taxed on maybe $20k of it.
    link to original post



    It's a weird situation. 100k is about where I think a person should maybe start being charged Federal Income Tax (Medicare and SS aside, of course). I don't really care if they are making 100k and claiming on 20k.
    https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
    DRich
    DRich
    • Threads: 86
    • Posts: 11883
    Joined: Jul 6, 2012
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    January 26th, 2023 at 2:44:25 PM permalink
    Quote: Mission146

    Quote: DRich

    Quote: SOOPOO



    Heaven forbid the cocktail waitress has to pay taxes on her income!

    In practicality, they will just get used to getting some (most?) of their tips later through the computer system. If YOU are afraid of looking cheap to a cocktail waitress you need more self worth. If it really means that much to you, tip her the old fashioned way.



    Tipped employees in Las Vegas make a killing not being taxed. Most servers and bartenders. Most places conform to a tip compliance program offered by the IRS that just tips them a flat % of sales. The bartenders make a killing because 75% of their drinks are comped and they are not tracked for tips given on slot machine payouts where the majority of their money comes from. I know lots and lots of bartenders that work at local bars that are bringing home $100k and being taxed on maybe $20k of it.
    link to original post



    It's a weird situation. 100k is about where I think a person should maybe start being charged Federal Income Tax (Medicare and SS aside, of course). I don't really care if they are making 100k and claiming on 20k.
    link to original post



    I only care because I am paying taxes on $100k and they aren't. If I wasn't, I would not be participating in this thread.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    seven
    seven
    • Threads: 25
    • Posts: 247
    Joined: Oct 1, 2013
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    January 26th, 2023 at 10:23:16 PM permalink
    I have a question. do I need to tip the dealer of a roulette table when I win for example a 100$ bet on a single number?
    in Europe I would need to tip the dealer a 100$ in such a case
    ChumpChange
    ChumpChange
    • Threads: 118
    • Posts: 4917
    Joined: Jun 15, 2018
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    January 27th, 2023 at 3:31:54 AM permalink
    If you're betting 18 single numbers and get paid $3500 on a win plus your bet back, you may want to slow down that tip rate, a lot.

    BTW, I was watching a YT slot channel lady hit the $100 minimum BJ table for nearly the first time. She had a man next to her helping her decide what to do. But they were both playing the Dealer Match for $5 and they were both making a side bet for the dealer on each hand. I had never seen BJ players make dealer bets on video before and I was surprised to see it. But the lady would make a side bet of $5 and double down or split it if necessary and the guy would sometimes make $100 dealer bets instead of $5 bets. They were both betting a few hundred dollars per hand at times, so the $5 bets didn't seem unreasonable, but it was basically throwing your red chips away especially when the Dealer Match wasn't paying much either. So the dealer pays off his winning dealer bets and puts up to $110 - $220 into the toke slot on some hands. After 20 minutes of this, the big chips are adding up. There could be a near equal amount of tipped chips but one batch would be red and the other would be blacks.

    I'm so rarely in a place that demands a tip, it is absolutely foreign to me if I have to pay one. Seems like a 20% sales tax or something. For casinos, I've decided to keep my tipping down to under 0.5% of my total ongoing winnings. If I'm up $1,000, I might put in a $5 chip for the dealer at some point. Has that ever happened, no. But I'll pay $1 for a glass of wine, but the server never ever asks or serves me at the Bubble Craps machine; but some others seem to get her around. I'll just stick to my Sierra Mist refills at the machine. I usually don't have $1 chips on me if I'm not at a table game though.
    Last edited by: ChumpChange on Jan 27, 2023
    Joeman
    Joeman
    • Threads: 36
    • Posts: 2422
    Joined: Feb 21, 2014
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    January 27th, 2023 at 5:31:40 AM permalink
    Quote: seven

    I have a question. do I need to tip the dealer of a roulette table when I win for example a 100$ bet on a single number?
    in Europe I would need to tip the dealer a 100$ in such a case
    link to original post

    When you say need, are you saying it is a requirement by rule that you must tip? Or is it just that you are compelled to tip that much by other forces (peer pressure, dealer will turn surly if you don't, etc.)?

    You are never required to tip in US casinos. Some folks at the tables never do. Any tips are (usually) much appreciated by the dealer. WoV member MichaelBluejay has compiled a comprehensive tipping guide for what is customary in US casinos. Going by his chart, if you consider the $3,500 win to be a jackpot (which, IMHO, it is not), then a $40 tip would be sufficient.

    Although I rarely play roulette, for me personally, I'd probably tip a green chip in this situation, but I probably would have been tipping a few bucks every so often during my session.
    "Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
    seven
    seven
    • Threads: 25
    • Posts: 247
    Joined: Oct 1, 2013
    Thanked by
    JoemanMission146
    January 27th, 2023 at 5:40:36 AM permalink
    Quote: Joeman

    Quote: seven

    I have a question. do I need to tip the dealer of a roulette table when I win for example a 100$ bet on a single number?
    in Europe I would need to tip the dealer a 100$ in such a case
    link to original post

    When you say need, are you saying it is a requirement by rule that you must tip? Or is it just that you are compelled to tip that much by other forces (peer pressure, dealer will turn surly if you don't, etc.)?

    You are never required to tip in US casinos. Some folks at the tables never do. Any tips are (usually) much appreciated by the dealer. WoV member MichaelBluejay has compiled a comprehensive tipping guide for what is customary in US casinos. Going by his chart, if you consider the $3,500 win to be a jackpot (which, IMHO, it is not), then a $40 tip would be sufficient.

    Although I rarely play roulette, for me personally, I'd probably tip a green chip in this situation, but I probably would have been tipping a few bucks every so often during my session.
    link to original post



    it is not a must or a law in Europe but if you will not tip one unit of your base bet on a single number win the dealers will try wherever they can to punish you. for example they will not put any chips for you on numbers and when you are putting it yourself they will very fast through the ball and say no bets and stop you putting more numbers.

    very unpleasant environment
    DoubleGold
    DoubleGold
    • Threads: 3
    • Posts: 87
    Joined: Jan 14, 2023
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    January 27th, 2023 at 6:00:14 AM permalink
    I tip waitresses, waiters, and bartenders to help compensate for their cost of living, if they deserve it with manners.


    I think a casino could make more money by eliminating tips to waitresses, waiters, and bartenders when serving an alcoholic beverage.

    Alcohol can stimulate more revenue of betters and lessen their effective money management.

    So the casino could compensate for the tips out of the additional revenue.


    It would be like a call option on top of the normal tips with unlimited upside.

    In regards to protecting the consumer and other citizens, that might have to be risk evaluated before the tips are removed.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 242
    • Posts: 14070
    Joined: Nov 2, 2009
    Thanked by
    Mission146
    January 27th, 2023 at 1:32:45 PM permalink
    Quote: DoubleGold

    I tip waitresses, waiters, and bartenders to help compensate for their cost of living, if they deserve it with manners.


    I think a casino could make more money by eliminating tips to waitresses, waiters, and bartenders when serving an alcoholic beverage.

    Alcohol can stimulate more revenue of betters and lessen their effective money management.

    So the casino could compensate for the tips out of the additional revenue.



    Unlikely. People too cheap to give a waitress a $1 tip for bringing a drink are not going to be revenue drivers.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    rxwine
    rxwine
    • Threads: 213
    • Posts: 12318
    Joined: Feb 28, 2010
    Thanked by
    smoothgrhMission146
    February 2nd, 2023 at 6:14:52 PM permalink
    Informational

    Under Special Tips

    Cow Tipping

    Quote:

    If you succeed in tipping a cow only partway, such that only one of its feet is still on the ground, you have created lean beef. Such a feat is well done. Naturally, being outside, the cow is unstable. When it falls over, it becomes ground beef.

    There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
    SiegfriedRoy
    SiegfriedRoy
    • Threads: 21
    • Posts: 487
    Joined: Sep 23, 2014
    April 29th, 2024 at 8:13:08 AM permalink
    Hi all. I'm having much debate with my friends about what is the right tipping amount in Vegas. Tipping has gone out of control in the US. However in Vegas, it's something that we can't consciously opt out of without screwing over the workers or getting dirty looks. With inflation, what are your tipping amounts/percentage for Vegas services rendered? I'll provide my take, and feel free to critique if I am over/under tipping. I'd love to read everyone's perspective.

    -Bathroom Attendance (at clubs, nice restaurants, etc) - $1 to $2 depending on how nice they are.
    -Bell Service - at least $5 or $2 a bag which ever is higher. For example, if I have 10 bags, I will be tipping $20 for bringing my bags to my hotel.
    -Cab flagger - $1
    -Cabs/uber - 15%-20%. I usually tip more if the driver is driving like a felon on a police chase and get me to my destination sooner.
    -Cage worker - $0 to $5 depending on how complicated my cashing out is.
    -Dealers - 1% - 5% of winnings. If I've been playing for a while and I win a $1000, I'd tip $50.
    -Drink Service - $2 to $5 a drink. I will tip more if the drink service is fast and if the cocktail waitress has to go out of the way for my drink. For example, my wife only
    drinks Mojitos and not all bars have mints. There are cocktail waitresses who will go out of her way to go to bars to bring us mojitos.
    -Front desk - $0 to $20. Sometimes without asking, front desk will put in late check out and room upgrades. If so, I do tip them to show my appreciation.
    -Housekeeping - $3 to $5 a day
    -Limo from airport - $40 to $50
    -Restaurant (take out) - 5%
    -Restaurant (normal sitdown) - 15% to 18%
    -Restaurant (fancy) - 18% to 22%
    Nathan
    Nathan
    • Threads: 67
    • Posts: 4147
    Joined: Sep 2, 2016
    April 29th, 2024 at 8:45:16 AM permalink
    I won $1,000 in cash at a Bingo game and I tipped the Cashier $50 because I was beyond grateful that I won $1,000 on a FREE Bingo. 😀💡She was beyond grateful herself to be tipped $50. 😀💡
    In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
    MDawg
    MDawg
    • Threads: 40
    • Posts: 7530
    Joined: Sep 27, 2018
    April 29th, 2024 at 10:16:12 AM permalink
    With dealers I start tipping after I get ahead. I play table games only. I put money on the circle and when the bet wins the dealer gets double. The amount obviously depends on what I am betting but I don't sit there and think about it as a percentage. I've tipped ten grand or so in one session, but obviously that and other sessions like it when I tipped that much I was annihilating the casino.

    The cocktail waitresses pretty much a flat $5. per drink (this is something non-alcoholic, unless a guest who is with me is drinking alcohol).

    Where I am probably the cheapest is with valet - I don't give them anything when I drop off the car, tip a little on each pick up. I am in and out a lot some days, and I view it as they're churning money so if everyone at least tipped something, they'd get a lot, which I think some people tip nothing. If the valet doesn't know me, and is new, I do get the feeling that he feels a little miffed because a guy with a really expensive car isn't tipping much at all, but I don't care. If everyone even tipped a dollar they'd have plenty each day. The exception is at check in, when checking in I give the valet more than just the very small amount I give him each time I pick up the car.

    Housekeeping just give them some money every now and then. And at check out, especially if it's a late checkout. We might be staying in the suite for weeks, not necessarily getting service every day.

    Where I noted a big discrepancy is you mentioned $40 - $50 for airport limo. I never tip that much. First of all, this is not a private limo this is the hotel's limo for VIP guests I am talking about. I tip $20. for airport pick up / drop off, $20. for limo ride from/to Strip to/from downtown, and $10. for a jaunt that is on the Strip (such as say from Cosmo to Wynn, etc.). If they are taking us to/from a concert or special event, I might tip somewhere in between, $15.

    I've actually talked to hotel limo drivers who have said that they don't necessarily expect any tip when dropping people OFF at the airport - because people might have lost all their money. That sounds crazy to me, that someone who is getting a free hotel limo and therefore must be some kind of high roller, has lost even all the cash in his wallet, but I guess it does happen.

    Bellmen, I tip the guy who unloads the bags from the vehicle to the cart or carts, $5. or $10., and then $20. or $25. to the one dropping off. When leaving, I give the bellman who gets the bags in the suite and takes them to the car $25. or even $30. if we have a lot of bags. We have a lot of bags but I don't look at it as a "per bag" affair, just I give them the figures I just outlined.

    In restaurants I tip exactly 18% of the actual bill (before tax), if you tip much more than that you deserve to be laughed at and considered a hick if it's any kind of class establishment. I might additionally hand either a $10. (two people dining), or $20. bill (four or more) to the maitre d' when taken to our table, if the restaurant has a real maitre d' and not just a random hostess in a tight fitting black dress.

    Bathroom attendants are those guys you just have to tip a dollar just because they are there, even if the guy doesn't do much of anything for you. I suppose if you partake of anything he has to offer besides a hand towel, a tip of more than a dollar is in order.

    I stopped tipping at the cage when I cash out. I don't know why I stopped, I just did.

    Cabs I just round up and give them around a couple dollars or so tip.
    Last edited by: MDawg on Apr 29, 2024
    I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    • Threads: 242
    • Posts: 14070
    Joined: Nov 2, 2009
    April 29th, 2024 at 1:56:47 PM permalink
    With dealers I ask for 5 whites and put a one down for them beside mine time to time. No logical reason, just time feels right to do it. As random as a human being can be. If I am there over an hour or so I will get another 5 whites and repeat. Bartenders buck or two a drink. I rarely drink at the tables so cocktail waitresses do not come into play. I self park and never use bell service places I stay (not talking Vegas) so that does not come into play. I never tip at the cage or sportsbook. I do not tip the maid. Waitstaff 15-20$ though once two of us were kind of loaded and read the coupon wrong. If the staff rung it up right they likely got 30% that meal.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    DRich
    DRich
    • Threads: 86
    • Posts: 11883
    Joined: Jul 6, 2012
    April 29th, 2024 at 2:36:12 PM permalink
    When gambling at a table I generally don't tip until i am done.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    TigerWu
    TigerWu
    • Threads: 26
    • Posts: 5633
    Joined: May 23, 2016
    April 29th, 2024 at 2:54:46 PM permalink
    I usually place a dealer bet with every bet I make.
    MDawg
    MDawg
    • Threads: 40
    • Posts: 7530
    Joined: Sep 27, 2018
    April 29th, 2024 at 2:58:47 PM permalink
    I can respect that, but the usual concept that goes along with placing that dealer bet on the edge of the circle is things are going well. While of course the dealer has nothing to do with it unless he's giving you signals while looking up the hole card, the type of shuffler that lets you shuffle track even easier than usual, or something else he is doing that actually does help you, still the idea illusory or not is that the dealer is being rewarded for paying you.

    Dealers often use the phrase "money I gave you" when referring to the winnings with which you walk.
    I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    • Threads: 122
    • Posts: 11083
    Joined: Aug 8, 2010
    April 29th, 2024 at 5:10:49 PM permalink
    Quote: TigerWu

    I usually place a dealer bet with every bet I make.
    link to original post



    Serious questionÖ. Do you go there thinking you have a chance to win? If you are a green chip player tipping $1 a hand you would have a better chance winning playing 6:5 BJ than the best game youíd find in Vegas. Let that sink in!
    • Jump to: