vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
July 12th, 2012 at 5:08:18 AM permalink
SO I'm at work yesterday talking with a coworker. It was his wives birthday and he was telling me how he bought her a Savannah cat(which I had never heard of before)....He was telling me they are a "hybrid" cat....it is a mix of domestic cat with a Serval cat(a midsize African cat)...and that they are super rare because it is hard to get them to breed. They are like twice the size of a domestic cat and they weigh like 30LBS.....Anyways here is the crazy part, He said "Ya, they are really expensive but my wife really wanted one"...I said "how much are they?"...He says " I paid $17,400 for it" HOLY SH&T BATMAN!!!!!! I wonder if you can insure it LOL

I would be scared to own one

Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
July 12th, 2012 at 7:31:32 AM permalink
They say most cats would eat their owners if they could just figure out how. That cat looks big enough to be able to put 2 and 2 together.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
July 12th, 2012 at 10:34:48 AM permalink
Quote: vert1276

I said "how much are they?"...He says " I paid $17,400 for it" HOLY SH&T BATMAN!!!!!! I wonder if you can insure it LOL

I am a cat lover myself and honestly this breed sounds appealing, but that is batshit insane. I wonder if they have separate bank accounts, or if she knew how much it was going to cost and was okay with it.

You can get pet health insurance. Never heard of pet "life" insurance before...I would want a policy on that feline. Probably too easy to commit fraud though...
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
July 12th, 2012 at 11:53:17 AM permalink
Oh, now I want one! But no way would I pay even CLOSE to that much for a pet.

Maybe when your friend gets tired of feeding it I'll take it off his hands...
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 12th, 2012 at 1:53:21 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

Oh, now I want one!

It does look cute.

But then so do most cats :)

Quote:

Maybe when your friend gets tired of feeding it I'll take it off his hands...

The last cat I had ate a lot. A cat twice as big should eat 8 times as much.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Juyemura
Juyemura
  • Threads: 39
July 12th, 2012 at 3:49:49 PM permalink
Most Savannah cats don't grow that large. They can range in size from 7 lbs to 20 lbs, though I guess there can be some F1 monster ones that grow to about 30 lbs.

I guess they are rated by how many generations they are removed from their Serval ancestor. The closer they are related, the more expensive they are. I found the following price guide:

F1 $7,500-$22,000
F2 $4,500-$16,000
F3 $3,000-$6,000
F4 $1200-$3,000
F5 $950-$6,000

Each F is one generation. My guess is your coworker got an F1 or F2... Or they were scammed.
Lottery:  A tax on people who are bad at math.
Juyemura
Juyemura
  • Threads: 39
July 12th, 2012 at 3:52:39 PM permalink
One other note, a pure breed Serval Cat male grows to be about 20 lbs to 40 lbs. Females are 15 to 25 lbs.
Lottery:  A tax on people who are bad at math.
Nareed
Nareed
July 12th, 2012 at 4:55:19 PM permalink
Over my life I've had three dogs and one cat.

We paid for the first dog, but it was so long ago I can't remember how much she was worth (every penny, naturally). Another dog was the daughter of the first. The other two pets were gifts.

I like pets who will either play or be affectionate (or both), and who won't be too troublesome. Past that I don't care about breed, looks, etc.

Overall dogs make for better pets, but cats have their points. The one thing I don't like about cats is that they can hurt you more when they get frigthened, or when they get agressive. They have much sharper teeth and definetly sharper claws. And, no, I didn't declaw my cat, or even consider it. I just trained her to ruin only one piece of furniture. She in turn trained me not to pick her up.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 12th, 2012 at 5:23:57 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

The one thing I don't like about cats is that they can hurt you more when they get frigthened, or when they get agressive.

Or when they are sitting on your chest at night while you are asleep and leap off suddenly and dig their rear claws in, in the process.

(That one would make a really big helicopter.)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Nareed
Nareed
July 12th, 2012 at 5:38:04 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Or when they are sitting on your chest at night while you are asleep and leap off suddenly and dig their rear claws in, in the process.

My cat knew better than to try to sleep on my bed. A little spritz of water does wonders.

BTW does an Atlanta cat cost more? ;)
  • Jump to: