Thread Rating:

P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 13th, 2012 at 1:14:47 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Although this TV series is likely to be shlocky, I doubt that more than 10% of the world's population could survive such a scenario. Although the population of the world before commercial electricity was probably 20% of what it is today, I think the return to that pre-electric state of mankind would cut the population to well below a billion people.

That's extremely pessimistic. Electricity only came in any scale around the turn of the century, and only in the most developed nations. Technology went all-electric only after WWII.

Although of course the scenario depends on how deep the disappearance of electricity is. If all electricity truly disappears, 0% of the universe's population is going to survive it, collapsing in an instant.

Even today there are millions people living without electricity and hundreds of millions living without reliable electricity. It won't be steampunk, more like dieselpunk. Even with steam plugs no longer existing, small compression ignition engines can keep providing power tools. Vehicles are already largely diesel in more-developed nations. Most of post-WWII progress will be lost, but electricity isn't a necessity for building homes, providing heat, water, refrigeration, limited lighting, for running ships, cars, trains, even airplanes.

It will mean leaning harder on liquid fossil fuels (as opposed to coal)... but I don't think that's what the authors are on about.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 13th, 2012 at 1:36:06 PM permalink
If electricity "stops working", then all electron bonds "stop working" as well. All molecules, from the N2 clogging the atmosphere to the intricate DNA in every living being, would dissolve into its constituent elements. Evryone, and everything, too, is disintegrated at once.

Next!
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 13th, 2012 at 1:47:05 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

If electricity "stops working", then all electron bonds "stop working" as well. All molecules, from the N2 clogging the atmosphere to the intricate DNA in every living being, would dissolve into its constituent elements. Evryone, and everything, too, is disintegrated at once.

It's not about the bonds so much as being a counterpart to them. Electromagnetism is responsible for providing repulsion in the universe, as other forces are primarily limited to attraction. Without it, any two atom nuclei that come close, can fuse, and everything just comes together into balls of neutron degenerate matter. There's no electric repulsion to keep it from doing so.

This may have to be a very short movie.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
scire
scire
  • Threads: 9
July 13th, 2012 at 4:11:44 PM permalink
I'd say not to watch the movie "the grey" --unless you have a "bulletproof" underground shelter fully stocked!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
July 13th, 2012 at 4:28:50 PM permalink
Quote: scire

I'd say not to watch the movie "the grey" --unless you have a "bulletproof" underground shelter fully stocked!

In my house I have an old well pit in the basement. Its a 20'
concrete tunnel that extends underground out into the yard,
its where the old well head used to be. Its the same temp
year round and would make a perfect place to store canned
goods if it was lined with shelves. Cubic feet wise, its huge.
I could even make the entrance invisible by doing something
clever to hide it.

But it just seems so survivoristic to me. It would make a
great wine cellar too, thats probably more practical.

It looks a lot like this only not as long.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
scire
scire
  • Threads: 9
July 13th, 2012 at 5:29:23 PM permalink
Ya know I might stock it --BUT-- I would first realize that I wouldn't want to live in a destroyed world that would be in chaos. Since I am older I would stock it for my grown kids and "give them the keys so to speak"

I've had my life so to speak --its true-- and I would find an easy way out ...I have a Prescription I know I can take and stop my heart.

I would take it should TEOTWAWKI take place. Kiss my wife and kids and wish them well. I do think my wife would follow. I have no grandchildren- Sons well off and very mature and married --their choice not to have kids. (sadly somewhat I agree with them for reasons not related here)

Knowing how the world once was would kill me anyway...Not a coward but I couldn't/wouldn't adjust now ---need several meds-- maybe 20 years ago I could go on a bit.

I agree with something I think you posted--forgive if it wasn't you please- that is most folks would not survive for long in a TEOTWAWKI situation.
Why suffer the death of a thousand knives---unless it was for ones young children of course.
INkyatari
INkyatari
  • Threads: 7
July 13th, 2012 at 6:22:23 PM permalink
Does the end start with an earthquake? Birds? A snake? An aeroplane?
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
July 14th, 2012 at 5:49:58 PM permalink
A Super Coronal Mass Ejection... these are known to occur, the last one was around 1860 IIRC (click on solar storm of 1859 also). Telegraphs worked by themselves, you could read the paper at night, even during New Moon.
Generally, the Northern Lights are measured in GigaWatts (BillionWatts), Such effect would be at least 2 orders of magnitude larger (10's of TerraWatts). At this power rating, the effect is the same as any plain old Nuke EMP (50kV/meter of conductor length). That would be a wipeout for sattellites. Any circuit trace longer than 3/8" (1 cm) developes 500V, thats poof for most IC's

It can definately start this way, its a question of will we start it first?

edited for prooper linkage
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 14th, 2012 at 6:31:44 PM permalink
Quote: SACR

Read "One Second After" by Forstchen

It involves an EMP knocking out all electricity in America, and the effect is mass starvation, religious hysteria, and society returning to the 19th century. It is an excellent book.

I picked up this book at the library yesterday after reading the Wiki synopsis. Newt Gingrich wrote the forward, and he says every American should read it, since it's "both a work of fiction, and a work of fact".
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
July 14th, 2012 at 9:57:24 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

... Newt Gingrich wrote the forward, and he says every American should read it, since it's "both a work of fiction, and a work of fat".

Did you mean to quote him as saying "fact"? That would make more sense.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez

• Jump to: