Thread Rating:

P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 10th, 2012 at 3:46:21 PM permalink
This subject has been touched, but as far as I've seen never raised straight out.

Should the world go to hell tomorrow - be it a nuclear war, or a worst-case pandemic, or anything straight out of science or non-science fiction - what do you intend to do?

If you have different plans for different scenarios, mention them separately.
(For instance, my plans for a global war differ depending on who exactly is involved.)
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
July 10th, 2012 at 5:10:26 PM permalink
I plan on dying. We are all going to die eventually. If it's in a global cataclysm or getting hit by a bus, it really doesn't matter.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
July 10th, 2012 at 5:12:29 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

I plan on dying. We are all going to die eventually. If it's in a global cataclysm or getting hit by a bus, it really doesn't matter.

+1 Its TEOTW.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
P90
P90
July 10th, 2012 at 6:15:21 PM permalink

The question is what you're going to do if a global cataclysm has hit... and you aren't dead yet.

Granted, being dead is that much easier, but most of us would hesitate to go there on purpose.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 10th, 2012 at 6:26:48 PM permalink
Quote: P90

The question is what you're going to do if a global cataclysm has hit... and you aren't dead yet.

Whatever society thats left dictates. The movies have
people living off the land, blah blah blah, but most people
aren't capable of that. Most of us would starve to death when
the food runs out. Use one of your 55 hand guns to shoot
yourself.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
RoundMan
RoundMan
  • Threads: 2
July 10th, 2012 at 6:46:58 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Most of us would starve to death when
the food runs out.

I read that a 350 pound man could live for one year on water alone.
The body will consume the fat to remain alive. BS? I don't know.

If true, it would take me a really long time to starve to death.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 10th, 2012 at 7:20:24 PM permalink
Complete annihilation? I hit the woods. It's the only option. While stores may have supplies and should be remembered and maybe investigated, 99% of the survivors will think the same thing. All normal customs are out the window and man must return to wild instinct. If an animal from one pride (family) runs into another with food, there's a fight. Expect the same. A man on his own cannot afford the energy and risk of injury for a few cans of soup.

For me, I need to get south. Winters at my latitude are a death sentence. Assuming I get to the lower states, it's time to set up shop. I'd look for seclusion, somewhere difficult to get. Shelter first, water second, a defendable base and weapons third, food last. Spend the rest of my life avoiding detection and obtaining sustenance. It'd be a hard life, but one of my dreams is to have to do this for a month, maybe. Kind of like "Survivor", only for real.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 10th, 2012 at 7:31:29 PM permalink
" Kind of like "Survivor", only for real. " I have always wondered why the camera man would not share his lunch with one of those pretty girls on Survivor But then I heard some of these realities shows are not real. Is that possible.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 10th, 2012 at 7:39:53 PM permalink
Quote: Face

It'd be a hard life,.

And a short one. You've seen too many movies.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 10th, 2012 at 8:03:36 PM permalink
You should read "Lucifer's Hammer" and "Footfall" By Niven and, I think, Pournelle.

The first is about a comet strike, the second is about an alien invasion which includes an asteroid strike.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 10th, 2012 at 8:15:45 PM permalink
Read Gerrold's books about the war against the Chtorr.

Invasion by an alien ecology.
"What, me worry?"
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 10th, 2012 at 8:26:46 PM permalink
Surely the alien race who placed us here on earth will return with the mother ship before any nuclear Holocaust !
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 10th, 2012 at 8:55:41 PM permalink

And a short one. You've seen too many movies.

Of course. No meds, no support, none of the guarantees we have in life like food, water, antiseptic salves. A sprained ankle goes from inconvenience to death sentence. But I wouldn't die in a week from dehydration, or a few from starvation, not in a day from hypothermia nor from defecating myself to death from eating/drinking the wrong thing. I'll die from accidents, animal attacks, raiders, pillagers, and pirates, but I won't die from ignorance.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 10th, 2012 at 9:04:38 PM permalink
Ever see that show Survivorman? He has some places where
he has a knife and a gun and still doesn't make it a week
without almost starving to death. Thats why people traveled
in packs, group survival is possible, single survival without
a lot of help is a hard go.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 10th, 2012 at 9:17:42 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Surely the alien race who placed us here on earth will return with the mother ship before any nuclear Holocaust !

Yes, they'll be back to harvest us. Earth is just an alien farm. We are almost ripe.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 10th, 2012 at 9:21:30 PM permalink
I know a few that were ripe 20 years ago..
Woldus
Woldus
  • Threads: 14
July 11th, 2012 at 5:06:35 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Of course. No meds, no support, none of the guarantees we have in life like food, water, antiseptic salves. A sprained ankle goes from inconvenience to death sentence. But I wouldn't die in a week from dehydration, or a few from starvation, not in a day from hypothermia nor from defecating myself to death from eating/drinking the wrong thing. I'll die from accidents, animal attacks, raiders, pillagers, and pirates, but I won't die from ignorance.

Mark me down as a raider. If something like that happens I plan on finishing the job the asteroid started.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
July 11th, 2012 at 6:52:15 AM permalink
I'm going to strip down to my skivvies, put on a pair of sunglasses, open a beer and lay out in the radiation. No sense prolonging anything.
A falling knife has no handle.
Nareed
Nareed
July 11th, 2012 at 6:53:44 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Yes, they'll be back to harvest us. Earth is just an alien farm. We are almost ripe.

You have it all wrong. The nukes are their cooking method :P
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
July 11th, 2012 at 9:53:10 AM permalink
I assume the machines will unplug me from the Matrix and that will be it.
98Clubs
98Clubs
July 11th, 2012 at 6:37:47 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

You should read "Lucifer's Hammer" and "Footfall" By Niven and, I think, Pournelle.

The first is about a comet strike, the second is about an alien invasion which includes an asteroid strike.

I have read the former, still own my 1st ED paperback from 77 or 78. Great stuff.
Ice Cream Sunday anyone?

Now, the OP was more TEOTW, more so that global calamity. and it depends upon HOW that comes about, no one preparedness answer fits all scenarios.
Natural (say Yellowstone super-volcano) or Nuke Winter IS TEOTW. We're talking YEARS without enough sunlight for crops. Virus/disease/biochem , "Limited Exchange Nuke", "Tactical Comm/Power Warfare" has various modes and dependencies.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 11th, 2012 at 8:44:27 PM permalink
Quote: slyther

I assume the machines will unplug me from the Matrix and that will be it.

You unplug date is Nov 12, 2012. Please settle your affairs before that date.
98Clubs
98Clubs
July 12th, 2012 at 6:31:05 PM permalink
Due to calendar "our" Calandar changes, has the Mayan Calandar already ended?
P90
P90
July 13th, 2012 at 6:38:55 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

Natural (say Yellowstone super-volcano) or Nuke Winter IS TEOTW. We're talking YEARS without enough sunlight for crops. Virus/disease/biochem , "Limited Exchange Nuke", "Tactical Comm/Power Warfare" has various modes and dependencies.

The nuclear winter theory has been largely dismissed. It's still a real possibility, but the "experiments" in Iraq in 1991 and 2003 have demonstrated that the amount of ash raised is lower and the fallout rate is higher than previously estimated. Plus, all modern nukes are airburst.

In a realistic nuclear exchange today, if performed as intended (not specifically to raise debris), the ash veil should mostly fall out within a year. That's a lot of damage, particularly to the third world, but, even if only with considerably reduced populace, it's survivable.
SACR
SACR
  • Threads: 7
July 13th, 2012 at 6:51:56 AM permalink
Read "One Second After" by Forstchen

It involves an EMP knocking out all electricity in America, and the effect is mass starvation, religious hysteria, and society returning to the 19th century. It is an excellent book.

If an EMP hit, the first places to raid are local pharmacies. You want to grab anything that can be used as a form of barter. Any grocery stores are good, too. Grab all the non-perishable food you can for storage, eat anything that is perishable now. That might give you a few months.
Nareed
Nareed
July 13th, 2012 at 7:00:03 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

I have read the former, still own my 1st ED paperback from 77 or 78. Great stuff.
Ice Cream Sunday anyone?

That's one of a few good books I never intend to re-read. As end of the world fantasies go, "Lucifer's Hammer" is actually optimistic. But the descriptions of devastation, savagery and suffering that ensue are too detaield and too extensive.

Have you read Niven's short "Inconstant Moon"?
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 13th, 2012 at 9:08:15 AM permalink
" But the descriptions of devastation, savagery and suffering that ensue are too detaield and too extensive. "

That's why i quit reading the bible.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 13th, 2012 at 11:27:36 AM permalink
Quote: SACR

Any grocery stores are good, too. Grab all the non-perishable food you can for storage, eat anything that is perishable now. That might give you a few months.

Ever see how much canned food a grocery store keeps on hand?
The first 3 people in the soup section, for instance, will wipe them
out. Much better to stockpile ahead of time. My wifes parents have
two hundred cans of food in their basement and they ignore
the EXP dates. They eat soup and veggies and everything else that
expired 15 or 20 years ago. They've never gotten sick and think
nothing of it. Somebody found some canned food in a cellar awhile
back from the 1860's, Civil War era. It was tesed at a lab and it
was fine, they could have eaten it.
P90
P90
July 13th, 2012 at 12:13:41 PM permalink

My wifes parents have two hundred cans of food in their basement and they ignore
the EXP dates. They eat soup and veggies and everything else that expired 15 or 20 years ago.
They've never gotten sick and think nothing of it.

Shelf life depends very strongly on storage temperature. Canned food is specified to be stored at room temperature, and so its shelf life is stated at about 80 degrees. If it's just kept at 60 and under, you can safely store it times longer. At 40 and under, it can last nearly forever, if there are no chemical issues with it. Conversely, 100-degree heat can get even canned foods.

Also, just recalled a remarkable moment of dumb. In Jericho (it's a TV series about a small town after a very mild nuclear war scenario - recommended if you don't mind somewhat slow pacing), there's a scene where chickens in their store's freezers start thawing. Finally, someone suggests, "Let's cook it all!" I almost jump up, not expecting a TV show to be that intelligent.
...of course, they just cook it and stuff themselves sick with it: TV shows don't get that intelligent.

For short-term storage, in absence of refrigeration, highly perishable foods can have their storage life extended by cooking. Cooking kills the microorganisms, and, if done right, the food can store for at least an extra week at moderate temperature. Repeated cooking can reset the timer, although it reduces the palatability. For longer-term storage, heat can be better used to dry the food.

Ever see how much canned food a grocery store keeps on hand?
The first 3 people in the soup section, for instance, will wipe them
out. Much better to stockpile ahead of time.

And if you're stockpiling, there are better solutions anyway.
Lots of survival supplies with 25-year shelf life, and offering a better balanced diet.

They are often expensive or overpriced though.
This guy looking like a bum tells how to prepare a year's supply for just a couple hundred - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GruRLyIDIYg
If that's too cheap, there are other videos and articles around. The point being, long shelf life survival food is actually cheap. Cereals are the cheapest source of nutrition, and they're dry, so they store.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 13th, 2012 at 12:50:50 PM permalink

The new TV series about all the electricity and batteries stopping will premier this September.
It's all going to turn off, and it will never ever turn back on!

Although this TV series is likely to be shlocky, I doubt that more than 10% of the world's population could survive such a scenario. Although the population of the world before commercial electricity was probably 20% of what it is today, I think the return to that pre-electric state of mankind would cut the population to well below a billion people.

World population was roughly 310 million a thousand years ago, about the same as present day USA.
P90
P90
July 13th, 2012 at 1:14:47 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Although this TV series is likely to be shlocky, I doubt that more than 10% of the world's population could survive such a scenario. Although the population of the world before commercial electricity was probably 20% of what it is today, I think the return to that pre-electric state of mankind would cut the population to well below a billion people.

That's extremely pessimistic. Electricity only came in any scale around the turn of the century, and only in the most developed nations. Technology went all-electric only after WWII.

Although of course the scenario depends on how deep the disappearance of electricity is. If all electricity truly disappears, 0% of the universe's population is going to survive it, collapsing in an instant.

Even today there are millions people living without electricity and hundreds of millions living without reliable electricity. It won't be steampunk, more like dieselpunk. Even with steam plugs no longer existing, small compression ignition engines can keep providing power tools. Vehicles are already largely diesel in more-developed nations. Most of post-WWII progress will be lost, but electricity isn't a necessity for building homes, providing heat, water, refrigeration, limited lighting, for running ships, cars, trains, even airplanes.

It will mean leaning harder on liquid fossil fuels (as opposed to coal)... but I don't think that's what the authors are on about.
Nareed
Nareed
July 13th, 2012 at 1:36:06 PM permalink
If electricity "stops working", then all electron bonds "stop working" as well. All molecules, from the N2 clogging the atmosphere to the intricate DNA in every living being, would dissolve into its constituent elements. Evryone, and everything, too, is disintegrated at once.

Next!
P90
P90
July 13th, 2012 at 1:47:05 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

If electricity "stops working", then all electron bonds "stop working" as well. All molecules, from the N2 clogging the atmosphere to the intricate DNA in every living being, would dissolve into its constituent elements. Evryone, and everything, too, is disintegrated at once.

It's not about the bonds so much as being a counterpart to them. Electromagnetism is responsible for providing repulsion in the universe, as other forces are primarily limited to attraction. Without it, any two atom nuclei that come close, can fuse, and everything just comes together into balls of neutron degenerate matter. There's no electric repulsion to keep it from doing so.

This may have to be a very short movie.
scire
scire
  • Threads: 9
July 13th, 2012 at 4:11:44 PM permalink
I'd say not to watch the movie "the grey" --unless you have a "bulletproof" underground shelter fully stocked!
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 13th, 2012 at 4:28:50 PM permalink
Quote: scire

I'd say not to watch the movie "the grey" --unless you have a "bulletproof" underground shelter fully stocked!

In my house I have an old well pit in the basement. Its a 20'
concrete tunnel that extends underground out into the yard,
its where the old well head used to be. Its the same temp
year round and would make a perfect place to store canned
goods if it was lined with shelves. Cubic feet wise, its huge.
I could even make the entrance invisible by doing something
clever to hide it.

But it just seems so survivoristic to me. It would make a
great wine cellar too, thats probably more practical.

It looks a lot like this only not as long.

scire
scire
July 13th, 2012 at 5:29:23 PM permalink
Ya know I might stock it --BUT-- I would first realize that I wouldn't want to live in a destroyed world that would be in chaos. Since I am older I would stock it for my grown kids and "give them the keys so to speak"

I've had my life so to speak --its true-- and I would find an easy way out ...I have a Prescription I know I can take and stop my heart.

I would take it should TEOTWAWKI take place. Kiss my wife and kids and wish them well. I do think my wife would follow. I have no grandchildren- Sons well off and very mature and married --their choice not to have kids. (sadly somewhat I agree with them for reasons not related here)

Knowing how the world once was would kill me anyway...Not a coward but I couldn't/wouldn't adjust now ---need several meds-- maybe 20 years ago I could go on a bit.

I agree with something I think you posted--forgive if it wasn't you please- that is most folks would not survive for long in a TEOTWAWKI situation.
Why suffer the death of a thousand knives---unless it was for ones young children of course.
INkyatari
INkyatari
  • Threads: 7
July 13th, 2012 at 6:22:23 PM permalink
Does the end start with an earthquake? Birds? A snake? An aeroplane?
98Clubs
98Clubs
July 14th, 2012 at 5:49:58 PM permalink
A Super Coronal Mass Ejection... these are known to occur, the last one was around 1860 IIRC (click on solar storm of 1859 also). Telegraphs worked by themselves, you could read the paper at night, even during New Moon.
Generally, the Northern Lights are measured in GigaWatts (BillionWatts), Such effect would be at least 2 orders of magnitude larger (10's of TerraWatts). At this power rating, the effect is the same as any plain old Nuke EMP (50kV/meter of conductor length). That would be a wipeout for sattellites. Any circuit trace longer than 3/8" (1 cm) developes 500V, thats poof for most IC's

It can definately start this way, its a question of will we start it first?

edited for prooper linkage
zippyboy
zippyboy
July 14th, 2012 at 6:31:44 PM permalink
Quote: SACR

Read "One Second After" by Forstchen

It involves an EMP knocking out all electricity in America, and the effect is mass starvation, religious hysteria, and society returning to the 19th century. It is an excellent book.

I picked up this book at the library yesterday after reading the Wiki synopsis. Newt Gingrich wrote the forward, and he says every American should read it, since it's "both a work of fiction, and a work of fact".
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
July 14th, 2012 at 9:57:24 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

... Newt Gingrich wrote the forward, and he says every American should read it, since it's "both a work of fiction, and a work of fat".

Did you mean to quote him as saying "fact"? That would make more sense.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
zippyboy
zippyboy
July 15th, 2012 at 8:00:33 AM permalink
yep. corrected.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 15th, 2012 at 8:34:21 AM permalink
Quote: P90

That's extremely pessimistic. Electricity only came in any scale around the turn of the century, and only in the most developed nations. Technology went all-electric only after WWII.

My mother tells me that when she was a little girl in the late 1930's, there was only one plug in the house. Most of the time it had a lighbulb, but during the day they could plug in a radio. She remembers her mother getting something that could heat the bath water without using the stove. Before that they would heat up kettles and dump them into the tub.

I realize that the population of the world was roughly 2.3 - 2.4 billion people at that time. I just wonder if the electricity vanished, if we would return to that population in a relatively reasonable manner.

Maybe I am too pessimistic. It's difficult to conceive.

Historically the USA has never lost more than 2% of the population (in the civil war). It is difficult to even imagine some scale of disaster that would stop the population growth (roughly over 7K per day).
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 15th, 2012 at 11:57:05 AM permalink
Everything would go back to animal, wind, and water power.
Printing presses and newspapers. Cross cut saws and ox driven
plows. Communication would be a bitch, though. Steam ships
and steam locomotives and steam cars. Probably steam planes
and blimps.
scire
scire
July 15th, 2012 at 12:06:02 PM permalink
If electricity vanished --we would really be screwed. That's when I'll call it quits.
zippyboy
zippyboy
July 15th, 2012 at 12:11:36 PM permalink

Everything would go back to animal, wind, and water power.
Printing presses and newspapers. Cross cut saws and ox driven
plows. Communication would be a bitch, though. Steam ships
and steam locomotives and steam cars. Probably steam planes
and blimps.

Look at the bright side though. We'd all be eating locally grown veggies again without pesticides, we'd all get to know our neighbors again and help each other rather than being selfish, we'd all be in better shape due to doing real work (not desk work) to feed ourselves, and obesity would plummet. Those who cannot conform would be filtered out so in a few generations, the human race would be healthy and strong again.
Nareed
Nareed
July 15th, 2012 at 12:14:23 PM permalink
Quote: scire

If electricity vanished --we would really be screwed. That's when I'll call it quits.

Again, if electricity "disappears," all matter would disintegrate. It would be "quits" whether you called it or not.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
July 15th, 2012 at 12:16:52 PM permalink

we'd all get to know our neighbors again and help each other rather than being selfish,

as if.
you really don't believe that do you?
more likely scenario: roving gangs of looters
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 15th, 2012 at 12:39:44 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

as if.
you really don't believe that do you?
more likely scenario: roving gangs of looters

Until the stuff to loot ran out, which would a couple weeks.
Then you settle down and get to work. Do you know how
much stuff stores keep on hand? Not much.
scire
scire
July 15th, 2012 at 1:10:46 PM permalink
BOB; I sense the looters- after the stores are emptied would head out and find who was "growing"/planting and they'd hit the "farms" as soon as it's produce was 'ripe'. That's why I mentioned "bulletproof" storage for a long time until the looters themselves died???. it would resemble a "zombie" movie after the easy food store pickings were gone. "Store first-- plant much much later" .... Firearms might stave off an initial "attack" but eventually the "zombies" would win.

While I'm at it here. I have seen (somewhere online I believe) these elaborate bunkers set up with food+ and somewhat comfortable accomodations. I'm not knocking them but they better have plenty of tranquilizers stored because the paranoia after the initial feeling of having "escaped the worst of TEOTWAWKI" would set in and naw at their minds. This would become the real horror. "What's going on outside" and when am "I" going to get my life back to normal. The more civilized and intelligent one is the more the likelihood of mental anguish in those well made bunkers. Even more so, if in the bunker your sharing, there are many strangers, that is, not all family members.

Were I in such a bunker I would want to know after a period of time--- "when are we going to get out of here" .

You gotta have "HARD BARK" to survive mentally in those bunkers for any lenthy period.
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
July 15th, 2012 at 1:12:04 PM permalink

Look at the bright side though. We'd all be eating locally grown veggies again without pesticides, we'd all get to know our neighbors again and help each other rather than being selfish, we'd all be in better shape due to doing real work (not desk work) to feed ourselves, and obesity would plummet. Those who cannot conform would be filtered out so in a few generations, the human race would be healthy and strong again.

It would be interesting to see if that kind of society could survive without the classes people that used to be at the bottom rung (slaves, serfs, child labor, etc.) Some would be eating fresh veggies, most would be eating very little. And without pesticides, there'd probably be even less. What makes you think people will be LESS selfish and and help each other more when it becomes harder to live? I know all my neighbors very well right now, and we get along great. Sorry that you live in a place where that's not the case, but my town doesn't need a catastrophe to be nice to each other.
  • Jump to: