15 votes (68.18%)
7 votes (31.81%)

22 members have voted

Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 1st, 2012 at 6:47:59 PM permalink
Well, would you? For simplicities sake, it doesn't have to be til the end of time, as the Sun will have devoured the Earth by then. Let's instead base "forever" on either the length of either human's or Earth's existance. Let's further assume your aging will scale appropriately. A little time a helpless child, a little time a crippled old man/woman, the majority as a mobile, productive human being.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 1st, 2012 at 6:54:10 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Well, would you? For simplicities sake, it doesn't have to be til the end of time, as the Sun will have devoured the Earth by then. Let's instead base "forever" on either the length of either human's or Earth's existance.

I can't. The Earth should remain inhabitable for at least millions of years, most likely over 2 billion years. If we ahven't developed interstellar travel by then, I'd like to know the reason why.

Quote:

Let's further assume your aging will scale appropriately. A little time a helpless child, a little time a crippled old man/woman, the majority as a mobile, productive human being.

I'll buy that (for a dollar, even <g>)

It's simple: I want to know what happens next.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
July 1st, 2012 at 7:12:44 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

My prediction---man's desire to control each other creates an unending war that destroys us all.
Wupper
Wupper
  • Threads: 9
July 1st, 2012 at 7:20:39 PM permalink
Will "forever" be long enough to see the Cubs win the World Series?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 1st, 2012 at 7:24:33 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

This would be about the only thing I could agree on. It's the one reason I wished there was a Biblical afterlife so that we could look down on the Earth and watch after we're gone. But it seems like you'd have to endure quite a lot just for this priviledge.

Assuming other than "eternal" life that you were a normal human being, do you think you could really exist normally? After tens of thousands of your friends and family have come and gone, after experiencing the world's highest of highs and lowest of lows, don't you think you'd just burn out emotionally? After seeing so many of my loved ones come and go, I think it would change my perception of the value of human life.

My son is the shining beacon of my life. To think he'd just be one of thousands I might have, and to watch them all come in go in the blink of an eye of my life...I dunno if it'd be worth it. And even if I didn't have children, I'd assume to have friends, and the same would hold true. I picture my life to be much like the wise man on a mountain. Knows a hell of a lot, but has no personal connections. Just spends his time meditating on the knowledge he holds, for no real purpose.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
July 1st, 2012 at 7:29:17 PM permalink
Question - Does this mean I'd have to live the entire time, or if circumstances dictated, could I choose to off myself whenever I wanted? I ask this because I can see a scenario where society has gone to crap, I have no friends/family/harem left, there are no worthwhile distractions or interests left, and I'm helpless to change the situation.

In that scenario, what is there left to live for? Being forced to live through thousands or millions of years of a hopeless situation could be considered cruel & unusual punishment. (Somewhat along the plot lines of the Star Trek Voyager episode "Death Wish", where one of the Q wants to die, after having experienced everything in the universe.)

So if I could suicide if the situation got bad enough, then yes. If not, then no.
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 428
July 1st, 2012 at 7:31:35 PM permalink
If your life force is recycled after you die, you have lived
forever already. What you mean is your ego and personality
living forever. Buddha says your ego doesn't exist, its an illusion,
constantly changing.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 1st, 2012 at 7:43:41 PM permalink
Quote: Face

This would be about the only thing I could agree on. It's the one reason I wished there was a Biblical afterlife so that we could look down on the Earth and watch after we're gone. But it seems like you'd have to endure quite a lot just for this priviledge.

If there was a Biblical-style afterlife, and therefore a Biblical-type omniscient god, I imagine gaining knowledge of the rest of the Universe would far outweigh any interest on the goings on on Earth after a few decades.

Quote:

Assuming other than "eternal" life that you were a normal human being, do you think you could really exist normally? After tens of thousands of your friends and family have come and gone, after experiencing the world's highest of highs and lowest of lows, don't you think you'd just burn out emotionally?

You keep adding conditions. I assume immortality, if possible, will be as common as medicine is today. That is to say, you'd be one immortal among many.

Of course there would be other complications...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 1st, 2012 at 7:46:43 PM permalink
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 167
July 1st, 2012 at 7:49:43 PM permalink
If it's possible to have endless enthusiasm. I'm not so sure it's possible though.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?

• Jump to: