beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
August 21st, 2013 at 9:16:51 PM permalink
Well, that site did indeed suck. What a chore to look at the list. However, the list itself was very interesting.

First car: 71 Chevy Vega hatchback(used in 78 for 600). Lasted 2 years.
We kids drove a 72 Gutless Cutlass for high school. Don't know what dad paid.
2nd car: '80 Pinto hatchback (dad got a "deal" from one of his salesmen). Lasted 2 years.
3rd car: 85 Dodge Daytona. Loved that car. Wore it out in the mountains living in Washington.
4th car: "92 Chrysler Lebaron sedan. Loved that car.
Really, really wanted a Pontiac Aztec in 1998, was it? First year it came out, anyway. Outsized husband could not ride comfortably in it. (We ended up with a Mercury Mountaineer - one that SHOULD have made this list!) I thought the back end was incredibly well designed; it was set up so you could sit comfortably on the back bumper with the tailgate either opened or closed, had the first extra outlets in the back I'd seen, extra set of stereo speakers wired in the back, and could purchase an optional setup that made the open hatch plus material into a camper. Had a towing package for a boat, had some kind of arrangement for an extra 12-volt battery so you'd have power enough to run the fun stuff. Great cockpit with everything in reach. I didn't care that people thought it was ugly; it was a great idea ahead of its time. (Look at the picture now and compare it to where a lot of SUV's went styling in the next 10 years.)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 157
August 21st, 2013 at 9:51:59 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I had a 96 Neon.

Was it white? I had a 96 Neon too. Bought it new, and sold it 1 year later, and bought a Honda. Nothing went wrong in the 1 year though. Only Dodge I ever owned.
One person's freedom is another person's annoying crap.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
August 21st, 2013 at 10:01:57 PM permalink
Quote: wroberson

Chryslers are known to start smoking from the tailpipe a few years after purchase. The cause is a shunt. It wears out and the car starts burning oil. You have to tear apart the engine to replace it

I must say, this post has piqued my curiosity.

I am a competent mechanic, and am completely unfamiliar with this "shunt" thing you are talking about.

What and where is it, specifically, and how / why does it cause an engine to smoke?

Details, please.
"What, me worry?"
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
August 21st, 2013 at 11:57:12 PM permalink
I can't find the same article I was reading and I may have been confused. There was some valve that opens and closes and allows air to move around. It may have been valve seal. Any leaks are toward the bottom of the engine and I believe it's a P/S leak as I recently ran low on power steering fluid. I was reading that white smoke is most likely a gasket and the smoke is steam, while blue smoke is oil and could be worn valve seal or PCV valve. "Removing the rocker arm" sound over my head and better left to a professional.

It's been time for a new car for some time. I've just been putting it off. I would rather keep the car than buy a new one and hope that I onlu have to take the written test and eye screening, again. Illinois usually sends a letter letting drivers know what they have to do to renew. I may even be able to renew by mail as it's bee a long time since I've had a moving violation.
Buffering...
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
August 22nd, 2013 at 5:23:50 AM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

I had a 1975 gremlin x.....along with the pacer, its hard to believe they are not on this list.

One of the bravest posts of all time.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 16
August 23rd, 2013 at 7:08:13 AM permalink
It was a white Neon, yes... bought it off my cousin.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 8
August 24th, 2013 at 7:51:05 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I must say, this post has piqued my curiosity.

I am a competent mechanic, and am completely unfamiliar with this "shunt" thing you are talking about.

What and where is it, specifically, and how / why does it cause an engine to smoke?

Details, please.

I think he means a valve guide and/or valve seals. I had one of the aforementioned Chrylser 3.0L V-6 engines. In a 91 LeBaron and my buddy had the same motor in an early 90's Dodge Daytona. They both started smoking at about 80K miles. It was a common failing of the engine. The only solution was a complicated valve job on the motor. Although, if you kept oil in them, and didn't mind a little blue smoke they ran forever. My buddy is a huge Mopar guy and he has worked on these motor's a lot. I could ask him for lots of technical details if you are really interested.

http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/32901-30l-v6-smoking-problem/
hagen49
hagen49
  • Threads: 9
August 24th, 2013 at 11:10:54 PM permalink
I have a slightly modded (ok its heavily modded) pinto mini stock race car that is actually pretty good. Now of course I wouldn't ever buy a stock one for the streets, but with some motor, suspension, and fuel cell relocation mods they are pretty fast and handle well.
DAMN YOU 2ND 12!!!
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
September 21st, 2013 at 11:12:53 AM permalink
It was nice to hear about other peoples cars. Drive safe!

Well, my 95 LeBaron Convertible now has a mechanical problem. The reverse is going out. When I put the car in reverse, the car makes a whining noise. Occasionally if I hit the gas to hard with in drive, the tranny makes a similar noise, just not as loud. Once out of 1st gear, the car drive fine with no noise. So it's coast back out of the garage and parking spaces, and light on the gas when in 1st. This all came up within the past week. Add the electrical issues and 193K mileage and it's just an unsafe vehicle.

I'm already shopping as I should replace the car as soon as possible. The end of the convertible era is coming to a close. I'm really hoping to put it off until the very last minute, or before the snowfalls. It's been a nice drive. I can sell the car to a junkyard for $365. The car I am looking at is a 1998 Grand Prix Sedan. 84,135 miles. The KBB and Edmunds value is $3,270 and I can get it for $1,790. I will charge it to a credit card and pay no interest.

It's actually a perfect storm kind of thing going on. My mom died recently, my credit rating has improved, my insurance renews in November, two trips to Vegas coming up in November and December, car experiencing more problems and winter is a few blocks away. My birthday is in November. And of course Christmas. I generally expect situations like this to happen in April as they had historically. Right around tax day.

I qualify for decent financing on a new car, but I'm not ready to sign a contract putting my spending on hold for 7 years.
Buffering...
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
September 21st, 2013 at 12:10:37 PM permalink
Had two Vegas. First one was red. The second was green with racing stripe and mag wheels. The rule was one tank of gas----one quart of oil. In hindsight, two dung heaps.
Each day is better than the next

• Jump to: