only1choice
only1choice
  • Threads: 59
June 3rd, 2012 at 4:02:23 AM permalink
Go to bottom of page to see cars.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11381094/1/10-worst-cars-of-all-time.html

I never owned any of these but I did have at one time a 73 amc hornet.which always seemed to have something wrong with it.
IF YOU PLAY "PLAY TO WIN"
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
June 3rd, 2012 at 6:21:09 AM permalink
No, never the exact model shown. They list the '71 Vega at #5; I had a '74 model that I bought in early '75. I never encountered the oil leak problem that was widely reported, but I did see just a little of the body rust, around the rear window. Then someone hit me in traffic, requiring body work and a paint job, and rust was never a problem again.

I did shop for the '74 Mustang (also on the list) when it first came out, but I decided against it. The 4-cyl version had no acceleration at all, and the dealer couldn't get one with a bigger engine. Instead, I bought a '74 Pontiac Ventura V8 (similar to Chevy Nova) as the new car in December '73 and added the Vega as a second car just over a year later. By early '79, I had worn out the Vega and again shopped for a Mustang, which had again changed styling. The 4-cyl engine was still pathetic, but the V-6 with 5-sp manual was fine. At that time, the Mercury Capri was the same car with different tail light housings, so I got one of those instead.

I was surprised the Pontiac Fiero didn't make that list. I had the first-year '84 model that I bought in '86 when the Ventura finally died. My Fiero was great (until my wife dinged it up), but they had tremendous publicity for catching on fire. I used to say that "Fiero" was Italian for "engine fire."

The only car I ever owned that from my experience deserved to be on a worst car list was a 1965 Simca. Bought it in '68 and went through two engines in four months.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 3rd, 2012 at 6:30:37 AM permalink
I don't have the patience to go through the list.

But the worst car I ever owned was an 82 R18, by Renault, with a very small engine (I think 1,200 cc or so) and an automatic transmission. In any kind of moderate grade, I swear it would have gone up faster if I'd gotten out and pushed.

Funny story, though. One time I'm coming out of a friends house, find the blue R18, open it with the key and go in. As I'm about to put the key in the ignition, I suddenly realize the interior is beige. My car had grey interiors. Sure enough, someone parked a nearly identical car right behind mine and I mixed them up. I got out, locked the car with the key, and got into mine.

The thing is, that model's driver side door could only be locked from the outside using the key. So indubitably my key opened at least one other car.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 174
June 3rd, 2012 at 6:31:27 AM permalink
I didn't see a list.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
only1choice
only1choice
June 3rd, 2012 at 6:36:59 AM permalink
I was looking to have the whole list load on one page but option not offered. It is well worth the time interesting info on each car. On a side note two identical toyota camrys paked about 4 spots apart. Man told me his car was being robbed. Elderly woman got out of car and was confused that her possessions were not in vehicle. She had the wrong car. Her key opened up both cars. I have never saw or heard of anything like this.
only1choice
only1choice
June 3rd, 2012 at 6:39:20 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

I didn't see a list.

Wait to page to fully load. List is below story. 10 pages
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 418
June 3rd, 2012 at 6:54:44 AM permalink
My dad had a Vega. What a piece of crap. Metal painted
dash, no room, sounded like you were in a tin can when
you were driving it. Almost couldn't make it up hills by
itself without a running start.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
June 3rd, 2012 at 7:18:53 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

My dad had a Vega. ... Almost couldn't make it up hills by
itself without a running start.

I can't speak for all model years, because I didn't drive all of them. If you compared the 4-cyl '74 Chevy Vega to a 4-cyl '74 Ford Mustang (both with manual transmission), the Vega had one heck of a lot more acceleration available. Both cars were terrible with automatic transmissions. The V-6 Fords were much better, again provided you could find one with manual transmission.

Same issues were true in Ford vs. Chevy 4-cyl compacts that I compared again in '79 and '84 model years. The only time I opted for the Ford product was that '79 Mercury Capri with V-6 and manual, even though I much preferred the Ford styling to Chevy in each of those years -- performance outweighed looks in the final decision each time. In '84, I opted for a Chevy Cavalier 4-cyl with manual. It was fine, until my son wrecked it. I got a used '86 Chevy Cavalier 4-cyl automatic as a replacement, mostly because I didn't have time to really shop around. I was never satisfied with the automatic with the same engine that I had in the '84 manual.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
June 3rd, 2012 at 7:37:05 AM permalink
I had the '74 Vega, 2.0 aluminum 4 banger. It did not suffer from most of the problems that plagued the '71 version. And after I dropped a 327 v8 into it, it did not suffer from any acceleration problems either.

Funny that Doc mentions a Fiero. I also had an '86 Fiero, but it was the SE package with a V6, which did not suffer any of the issues associated with the 4 cylinder version. That was actually a pretty nice car, although no trunk space. It was definitely a different time back then though. We lived in the country and I needed to take my 2 kids and the neighbor's 2 kids to the school, 1.5 miles down the road. 2 in the seat, 1 on the floor, and 1 sitting on the shift console did the trick. Today, that would be at least a $250 fine, not to mention it is much more obvious now, how incredibly stupid it was.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 174
June 5th, 2012 at 10:22:37 AM permalink
Missing from this list:

The Subaru 360. The only car to receive a "Not Acceptable" from Consumer Reports.

The Renault Alliance/Encore. Actually a good design, undercut by some of the worst reliability ever seen in an automobile.

NO KILL I

• Jump to: