FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
April 30th, 2012 at 2:31:30 PM permalink
I got this delievered to my office:

http://www.siennahomecare.com/Newsletters/2012/March_2012_Newsletter.pdf

If you look to Page 4, there are a bunch of simple math problems. Many have the wrong answer as you can see. So I e-mailed the webmaster to inform him. Here is his response.

"Thank you for your input regarding the math problems on our newsletter.

We are aware that the equations are not exactly mathematically correct. These equations are targeted to people with Dementia and/or Alzheimer’s and we have consulted with a number of different experts before making the decision to simplify the equations so our target audience is able to complete them. By following the proper PEMDAS formula most of our targeted readers would be unable to complete any of the problems.

But I appreciate you bringing this to our attention and in the future we will provide a small set of instructions or explanation so our readers will not be confused.

Thank you and have a great day.

David Mantelman"

My response is that they simply should have multiplication or division at the beginning of the problem. Also, this newsletter is not targeted to people with Dementia or Alzheimer's, it's targeted to the elderly, or people caring for the elderly. I believe the elderly can figure out parentheses.

Anyone share my math anger?
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
April 30th, 2012 at 2:41:34 PM permalink
#32 would actually be a negative number...
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
April 30th, 2012 at 3:08:28 PM permalink
he couldn't just say, "oh yeah, we failed third grade math around here"
so he gave you some bullshit excuse.
maybe we should flood their office with calls reporting that we suspect
we have dementia because we got so many answers wrong.

847-291-9200
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
April 30th, 2012 at 3:34:45 PM permalink
I wouldn't go so far as "anger", but I think it's pretty sad that the author's view is that math equations can be "not exactly correct". There is no "not exactly correct" in arithmetic -- it's either right or it's wrong. He seems to be suggesting that, for people with dementia, learning incorrect math rules (like 5-2x2 = 6) is *good* for one's intellect. I'm no expert in mental health but I'd think exactly the opposite. How could unlearning proper math rules and replacing them with incorrect ones be beneficial?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
April 30th, 2012 at 4:00:27 PM permalink
I couldn't have said it better myself. And that's why I am angry. Because I work at a place that helps people that suffer from dementia, and as you put it "unlearning proper math rules" or unlearning anything makes no sense for someone suffering from dementia or Alzheimer's.

And his agency is supposed to be helping.

His proper response should have simply been "Thank you for your comment, we will fix the problems so that they can be both mathematically correct and beneficial for people with dementia"

It's really a problem with most people in the workforce. No one wants to admit a mistake even if it won't cost them anything. Him admitting a mistake, even if he doesn't believe it, is the smart move there.
  • Jump to: