2 votes (14.28%)
1 vote (7.14%)
1 vote (7.14%)

14 members have voted

Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
September 1st, 2016 at 9:46:36 PM permalink
I was getting sick of other drivers blocking the fast lane as well, so I ordered my new Mazda from the factory with the optional grille-mounted cannon. Imagine my disappointment when I found that the magazine only held six shells. Totally inadequate for a long drive.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
September 1st, 2016 at 10:01:02 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

I heard a recent radio story that driving 5mph slower than the average traffic speed causes worse congestion and many more accidents than driving 5mph faster, even though you'd instinctively think the opposite. "Speed Limit" always means the *upper* limit, even though it's perfectly reasonable to put a lower limit on traffic as well -- but who's ever gotten a "going too slow" ticket?

The minimum in Missouri on an interstate is 40 MPH...I would hope a cop would give a ticket for this infraction in normal conditions. The minimum should be much higher though...probably 55 on a 70 max road. 40 MPH when everyone else is going between 60 and 80 is VERY dangerous.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
September 1st, 2016 at 10:16:27 PM permalink
If two lanes are merging into one before an upcoming street light causing a long line, I will cut to near the front of the line by timing my merge with the green light. Very few people step on the gas in time to not leave at least a few car lengths between the car in front of them. I justify doing this because it actually makes the line shorter since people lag on pressing the gas. Im just taking up empty space. Not to mention the people who are still staring at their cell phones causing the people behind them to miss the light.
100% risk of ruin
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
September 1st, 2016 at 10:22:49 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

If you are on the highway, and aren't going faster than the traffic in the lane to your right... move over and let folks pass. I don't care if you are already 15 over the posted speed limit; if you only want to go as fast as the traffic in the lane on your right, move over so others don't have to change lanes to pass you.

It is my observation that fast lane folks who have to change lanes in order to pass a slower driver who refuses to yield, actually slow everybody behind them. The passing driver changing lanes causes a chain of brake lights as driver's behind have to re-adjust their following distances. Whenever there is this kind of unexpected slowing, there is the potential for an accident. Therefore, to me, the driver who refuses to move over is actually more dangerous than the driver who wants to go fast, because they are the cause of other drivers taking unnecessary risks. Do you agree?

Hell no do not agree and think your ideas are crazy. The main reason being safety cannot ignore the true speed you're traveling or not traveling. Someone should yield to YOU because YOU NEED MORE SPEED. No, they're keeping you in check if 80-85 is too slow. Build your own precious highway where only your life is in danger. If you think it is unsafe passing on the right, you should not do that.

It is a simple observation the right lane is unsafe with pothole frequently, so I will always avoid it. Plus aggrivating the worst drivers live there.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 43
September 1st, 2016 at 10:41:27 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I heard that late-merging thing, too, and I'd have to see the study to believe it. It appears that the clods running to the head past those already formed in the merge is the reason the thru lane is slow/stopped. Logic says to me, that if they weren't impeding the bottleneck, there wouldn't be one, just a single line of cars (assuming 2 lanes merging to 1) going the construction speed limit. So, counterintuitive is the politest way of putting it.

I could be wrong. Which is why I'd like to see the study.

I have seen signs saying use both lanes until merge point.In some states thats the preferred way,then you get some jackass that tries to block you from using the lane that is closing.
The study was mentioned in a book called Traffic,and it does say using both lanes is superior.
Don't teach an alligator how to swim.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
September 1st, 2016 at 10:57:46 PM permalink
My biggest peeves are people who ride the shoulder in the right lane to cut into traffic in traffic jam/construction situations. It's a big advantage and I just won't do it, even if odds of being caught are low. I would imagine the cost of being caught once scares me from joining the selfish team on this play. Those tickets I imagine would be quite expensive. Being caught would be a low frequency since you would see law enforcement and not try it if you saw them.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
BlueEagle
BlueEagle
  • Threads: 5
September 1st, 2016 at 11:13:03 PM permalink
This video was in my Facebook feed today. Interesting info

RogerKint
RogerKint
September 1st, 2016 at 11:55:13 PM permalink
Quote: BlueEagle

This video was in my Facebook feed today. Interesting info

This is kind of a problem on the 15 to and from Socal to Vegas outside of Barstow. Most people driving 90 to Vegas just flash their high beams and the clueless soccer mom with Utah plates moves over.
100% risk of ruin
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 124
September 1st, 2016 at 11:58:09 PM permalink
So the a-holes who need to go 90 miles an hour end up getting off at the next exit anyway and save 15 seconds of their precious time.

I haven't had a ticket in over twenty years. Wanna know why? Because I'm not a little child anymore who has to put lead in his shoes. Here's a tip. Try to live to be MY age! You'll thank me someday.

What's the friggin hurry anyway?
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
RogerKint
RogerKint
September 2nd, 2016 at 12:21:22 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

So the a-holes who need to go 90 miles an hour end up getting off at the next exit anyway and save 15 seconds of their precious time.

I haven't had a ticket in over twenty years. Wanna know why? Because I'm not a little child anymore who has to put lead in his shoes. Here's a tip. Try to live to be MY age! You'll thank me someday.

What's the friggin hurry anyway?

They really don't save any time. They just get to be first to idle at the next red light. A friend who is a county Sherriff says the CHP is hiring like crazy right now. Very tempting. I get to pull over aholes AND steal their money. Sign me up.
100% risk of ruin

• Jump to: