mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
August 11th, 2010 at 7:08:25 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

You missed the point entirely. I would explain it to you, but I think you would miss it again anyhow.

So, you actually AGREE with the assertion that the "only reason ANYBODY does ANYTHING on the internet" (emphasis mine) is "to call attention to themselves"? You think that's really true? You don't see how that statement just might be a gross exaggeration?

Sigh.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
bluefire
bluefire
  • Threads: 10
August 12th, 2010 at 12:12:39 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

And confirming my point, you have chosen to call me an asshole, albeit in a circumlocutory way.

Yet you totally missed his.
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 12th, 2010 at 1:45:45 AM permalink
Quote: bluefire

Yet you totally missed his.

Oh? What do you consider his "point", and how do you know whether I "missed" it or not (my not bothering to acknowledge it would NOT be proof of that)?

In any case, his name-calling, and the cowardly, back-door way he did it, elicited my primary reaction. He is an exemplar of the internet childish rudeness that was the subject of my post.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 12th, 2010 at 6:37:35 AM permalink

Oh? What do you consider his "point", and how do you know whether I "missed" it or not (my not bothering to acknowledge it would NOT be proof of that)?

In any case, his name-calling, and the cowardly, back-door way he did it, elicited my primary reaction. He is an exemplar of the internet childish rudeness that was the subject of my post.

You came into a room where everyone else was talking about something (that comic strip), and called it "idiotic" and "simplistic." Then you said that the premise of the cartoon is an excuse for people to abandon the common courtesies of discourse. Then you used "douchebag" in a sentence. Then you said that it all boils down to a personal decision about whether or not to be an asshole.

My point, which I thought was both succinct and clear, is that you have abandoned the common courtesies of discourse. You were rude and offensive in a post about how the internet has made people rude and offensive. Better yet, I'm apparently a coward for trying to civilly point that out. Somehow, not stooping to your level makes me childish?

It's probably bad for my health that I enjoy arguing with trolls this much, right? This just can't be a good sign for me...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
bluefire
bluefire
August 12th, 2010 at 8:04:50 AM permalink

Because you took offense to him calling you an asshole, yet his point was that you were doing the same exact name-calling to others. Either you missed his point, or are purposefully being hypocritical.
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 12th, 2010 at 11:56:59 AM permalink
Quote: bluefire

Because you took offense to him calling you an asshole, yet his point was that you were doing the same exact name-calling to others. Either you missed his point, or are purposefully being hypocritical.

What you are missing is the distinction between calling a generalized class of individuals "assholes" (which I didn't even actually do--what I said was that they didn't realize the distinction between civil and uncivil behavior), and his calling me, specifically, an asshole. Allow me to contrast:

A) "Those people don't even know that they are being assholes." (what I said)
B) "You are an asshole." (what he said, to me)

If you truly don't understand the distinction, then nothing I can say will help you.
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 12th, 2010 at 12:11:06 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

You came into a room where everyone else was talking about something (that comic strip), and called it "idiotic" and "simplistic." Then you said that the premise of the cartoon is an excuse for people to abandon the common courtesies of discourse. Then you used "douchebag" in a sentence. Then you said that it all boils down to a personal decision about whether or not to be an asshole.

My point, which I thought was both succinct and clear, is that you have abandoned the common courtesies of discourse. You were rude and offensive in a post about how the internet has made people rude and offensive. Better yet, I'm apparently a coward for trying to civilly point that out. Somehow, not stooping to your level makes me childish?

It's probably bad for my health that I enjoy arguing with trolls this much, right? This just can't be a good sign for me...

And I felt perfectly entitled to comment on an idea that many people seemed to be endorsing, when it was, in fact, ludicrous. I did not criticize any individual--I criticized an idea touted by some unknown individual (whoever wrote the strip). I also did NOT say that the person who wrote the strip was an idiot--or even believed what his character was saying (I actually think he was being ironic). I consider that I (and anyone else) can be severe in the criticism of an IDEA or CONCEPT, but not in that of an INDIVIDUAL. Note that I did NOT say that the writer of the strip was a moron, or that those who quoted it were. It's an important distinction, and one that I cannot believe that you have failed to grasp (except, perhaps, deliberately). Smart people say stupid things all the time. Criticism of those stupid things does not, repeat, NOT, equate to criticism of the person.

And FWIW, characterizing someone with whom you are arguing as a "troll" is, indeed, an internet kiddie tactic, roughly equivalent to putting one's hands over one's ears and chanting "neener neener neener". Obviously, I am arguing with you for some kind of twisted amusement, while YOU are the knight on the white horse waving the banner of Truth, charging nobly albeit reluctantly into the fray to defend the honor of...somebody.

And by the way, you should at least own up to the fact that you called me an asshole---period. And yes indeed, you are a coward and a hypocrite for not admitting that. It's pretty slimy to complain about internet rudeness (or, more precisely, to complain about someone complaining about internet rudeness in a way you consider rude), and then be rude yourself. I haven't, and won't, call YOU an asshole, because I don't think that you are--you are merely behaving like one at the moment, which is an important distinction. You are behaving like an internet kiddie, but I don't think you ARE one. Which again, proves my point--the internet degrades social discourse.
bluefire
bluefire
August 12th, 2010 at 1:07:58 PM permalink

What you are missing is the distinction between calling a generalized class of individuals "assholes" (which I didn't even actually do--what I said was that they didn't realize the distinction between civil and uncivil behavior), and his calling me, specifically, an asshole. Allow me to contrast:

A) "Those people don't even know that they are being assholes." (what I said)
B) "You are an asshole." (what he said, to me)

If you truly don't understand the distinction, then nothing I can say will help you.

I was referring more to the fact that you called them "socially stunted internet kiddies"
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
August 12th, 2010 at 1:08:21 PM permalink

And by the way, you should at least own up to the fact that you called me an asshole---period.

You are an asshole. Period.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
August 12th, 2010 at 1:31:45 PM permalink
Ain't it great that a thread on the topic of forum etiquette can be so thoroughly discussed in such a polite, refined, courteous manner?
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
August 12th, 2010 at 1:39:53 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Ain't it great that a thread on the topic of forum etiquette can be so thoroughly discussed in such a polite, refined, courteous manner?

I found the level of irony to be sufficient to justify the requested response. Do you think I misjudged?
Doc
Doc
August 12th, 2010 at 1:47:04 PM permalink

I found the level of irony to be sufficient to justify the requested response. Do you think I misjudged?

rdw: Please understand -- my comment was directed at the previous six pages or so of posts, not specifically at your response. Since you asked, I have to admit that there was indeed a significant degree of sarcastic humor in your post, no matter how offensive it might have been to your target audience. Maybe the thread title was actually a request for poor forum etiquette. I dunno.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
August 12th, 2010 at 3:17:26 PM permalink
Discussions like this are like watching a car crash.
You really know you don't want to see it, you know the result is going to be ugly, but somehow you can't turn away. The metal just keeps grinding into one steaming mess, and you wait to see if everyone escapes unscathed.
I really need to get some more hobbies.............
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
August 12th, 2010 at 3:22:35 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

I suggest gambling. And drinking. Maybe not in that order...:-)
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
August 12th, 2010 at 3:25:51 PM permalink

I suggest gambling. And drinking. Maybe not in that order...:-)

My gambling has driven me to drink. Unfortunately, I now have no money with which to drink, so I don't have a drinking problem.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 12th, 2010 at 3:26:30 PM permalink

You are an asshole. Period.

I don't know enough about you to offer a similar sentiment in return; you merely APPEAR to be an asshole. I'm sure that when we drag you away from the keyboard, and you interact with human beings face-to-face, you're a perfectly swell guy. (Corollary: you don't know enough about ME to offer the above opinion, either.)
mkl654321
mkl654321
August 12th, 2010 at 3:34:57 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

rdw: Please understand -- my comment was directed at the previous six pages or so of posts, not specifically at your response. Since you asked, I have to admit that there was indeed a significant degree of sarcastic humor in your post, no matter how offensive it might have been to your target audience. Maybe the thread title was actually a request for poor forum etiquette. I dunno.

I don't think he deserves a free pass, i.e., he decries my calling a vague, undefined group of people "socially stunted internet kiddies", but when he calls me an "asshole", he's merely being IRONIC. That is a cowardly, disingenuous cop-out, at the very least. It's hypocritical--yes, assholery--by any reasonable standard. It's also HIGHLY hypocritical to have a double standard re what YOU can say and what OTHERS can say---but as far as that goes, I don't think he misjudged at all. I think he said exactly what he wanted to say, without any element of sarcasm or irony. It was, in addition to being crass and rude, a stupid and misinformed thing to say, but I have no doubt of his sincerity. FWIW, I don't think HE is an asshole---just a socially stunted internet kiddie (whatever his chronologiocal age may be).
Doc
Doc
August 12th, 2010 at 3:42:01 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

Hey, Raleigh, maybe you could take up gambling, in place of reading on-line forums.

Last time I saw you, we were at Beau Rivage. I plan to be there (and other spots in MS) next week. B-R has a new show called Balagan on their stage, and they are actually advertising it as a "Cirque-style show". Don't those Canadians have any lawyers on their staff?
  • Jump to: