RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
November 5th, 2015 at 9:12:30 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

And yet the most popular song in the hood this week is Downtown by Macklemore, a hip hop song far away from being negative.

I very seriously doubt that song is very popular with the blacks.

darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 261
November 5th, 2015 at 9:36:30 AM permalink
Quote: RS

I very seriously doubt that song is very popular with the blacks.

More racism.

My family is mostly black. I live in a predominantly black neighborhood. Trust me, its what most of the people are talking about musically this week.

What's the matter? Can't imagine black people listening to feel good music?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
darkoz
darkoz
November 5th, 2015 at 9:44:06 AM permalink
Hell, lot of the conversation was just seeing Kool Moe Dee again. This song is very seventies Blaxploitation oriented and that appeals to a large market of the hood.
  • Threads: 30
November 5th, 2015 at 10:09:28 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

When I was in high school, no one, and I mean no one, would have defied a teacher and refused to stop doing something disruptive or against the rules. And I can't recall one instance where a child brought a knife or gun to school, let alone attacked others in this way.

We're so open-minded and progressive with our thinking today. Let's do everything to not use force to discipline our young. Pure rubbish.

Kids need boundaries and force. Force is what they listen too. Talk, talk, talk. Kids will engage you all day and match wits with you.

Yes, communication has its place. Reasoning with recalcitrant, wayward kids is important. So is force.

How did they clean up Dodge City in the 1870s, or New York City in the late 1980s and '90s? Force.

Dozens of kids from the school have shown support for officer Fields. I'm glad to hear this.

No one said that force should not be used. There are times that "force" or physical actions become necessary and must be applied, but it should only applied as a last resort. The civilizations has made good advance over the years through researches, innovations, inventions, and many lessons learned. And many researches had shown that corporal punishment can have negative impact on children behavior such as in increased children aggression and antisocial behavior. The lessons learned from these studies are that corporal punishment can result in lasting physical or mental injury, and consequently the civilized societies no longer considered corporal punishment an effective mean of discipline.

Other items of interest:

For movie fans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsUlGPV01CM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sfyCJvyomA&list=PLF87614CD66FBA1A7

For law enforcement fans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emmoJvpSGyw

(Note: If you donít have time then forward to the 14:26 time portion of the above Youtube video link, and watch the entire 18 minutes of the video later when you have time)

A Surgeon General's warning: The lack of respect by the police officers AND their courtroom buddies from the video above could cause psychological harm to your mind and could make it difficult for you to understand the term "respect authority" in your next encounter with the law enforcement personnel.

Have you ever wonder why the mistrust of those whose job is to "protect and serve" has now gotten to the point that, when some citizens hear on the news that a police officer has been shot, he or she "just smile." You can blame the mistrust between the law enforcement personnel and the citizen on the very rapid advancement of the information age -- cell phone, video cam, blog, social media, emails, 24/7 news, paid talking heads Ö)

For DI and RNG fans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n8LNxGbZbs

For Ex-Officer Ben Fields fans:
https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/n5kb
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
November 5th, 2015 at 10:16:27 AM permalink
Quote: HeySlick

I found the article very informative and truthful ---- if people continue to deny that certain elements within the hip hop culture are destructive to many poor and troubled black communities thru-out this country.

IMO that will lead to another generation of lost souls. I just don't agree with the excellent verbiage expressed by the poster above -- who feels that to some extent the rap music has affected the behavior of some within that circle ---- very true but, how many more generations of troubled black youth need to go thru that scenario of despair and resentment. Why keep on keeping on with the insanity?

edit/add
IF, Hip Hop in its purest form is about empowerment, unity, culture, creativity and hope. And God knows we need it. I just can't buy into that theory -- the negativity of rap music is to overwhelming for me....does that make or mean I'm a racist? some may say YES some may say NO --- ONLY my heart knows the answer to that ?

Wasn't this all said in the late 50's concerning Rock-n-Roll
Now you have guys like Huckabee, hard core Christian conservative, playing bass with rocker Ten Nugent
30 years from now we may have a President that grew up on hip-hop
Its just music
When I heard White Rabbit the 1st time, I did not go out and do tons of drugs
Hip-hop is just music. Much ado about nothing
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
ajemeister
ajemeister
  • Threads: 16
November 5th, 2015 at 10:37:02 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

More racism.

My family is mostly black. I live in a predominantly black neighborhood. Trust me, its what most of the people are talking about musically this week.

What's the matter? Can't imagine black people listening to feel good music?

why is this song so popular now? it came out so long ago.. 3 months for a song is like a decade. Get with the times man
darkoz
darkoz
November 5th, 2015 at 10:39:11 AM permalink
Quote: ajemeister

why is this song so popular now? it came out so long ago.. 3 months for a song is like a decade. Get with the times man

Which proves just how popular it is. It's called staying power.

Measure the youtube views on a daily basis. It's been receiving a million views per day for almost a month now.
ajemeister
ajemeister
  • Threads: 16
November 5th, 2015 at 10:52:08 AM permalink
on its way out you mean.... look at the charts http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100
darkoz
darkoz
November 5th, 2015 at 10:56:46 AM permalink
Here's a wonderful example of why you can't trust police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtNvxZ9yCcI
HeySlick
HeySlick
  • Threads: 3
November 5th, 2015 at 11:07:17 AM permalink
terapined said:

Wasn't this all said in the late 50's concerning Rock-n-Roll
Now you have guys like Huckabee, hard core Christian conservative, playing bass with rocker Ten Nugent
30 years from now we may have a President that grew up on hip-hop
Its just music
When I heard White Rabbit the 1st time, I did not go out and do tons of drugs
Hip-hop is just music. Much ado about nothing

IMO The paragraph below from the article I posted earlier really describes my true sentiments regarding the messages within a lot of so called music i.e., rap and in particular gangster rap --- destroying the minds of some of our impressionable black youth.

Hip-hop is not just a style of music. It is a culture borne of poor, inner-city life in America that has evolved into the rallying cry of those unable to negotiate the nuances of the mainstream. It now serves to glorify formerly stigmatized characteristics of the lower class, preventing the impetus for upward mobility.

• Jump to: