LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
April 13th, 2014 at 11:43:48 AM permalink
The Shatner thread makes me pose this question kind of as a devils advocate position and partly as a real question that I sometimes think about seriously.

What is the flaw in lets say Brad Pitt saying////"i make a movie, and you pay 10 dollars.....I give you ten dollars worth of entertainment....we are even...I have no more obligation to you...we are even"

just as the person who makes your favorite pizza...."I make your pizza in the back, you give my cashier 20 dollars....I give you my best pizza I can make in return....we are even"

why do we as a society feel that famous people are obligated as part of their deal to take pictures with us on the street, sign autographs during private time. We seem to think...;well it would only take a minute or 2. Well that would be for ME. What about everyone else.

What if a celebrity is walking down the street, and stops to sign an autograph, and others keep coming up to him...and he falls behind on his schedule...as he signs and signs and poses....then 3 blocks later you come up to him.....and he blows you off. All of a sudden he is a scumbag...because in your mind YOU deserve a simple autograph.

I dont see it. I mean I ran into a celeb on the only time I ever flew first class (free upgrade).....he sat accross the aisle from me. I waited till the plane landed, we both get up to get out...and I tell himthat I enjoy his work. He say thanks and smiles...and then also thanks me for waiting till the end of the flight to tell him.

A piece of paper with his name scribbled on it would not fade that memory...and by asking, if he agreed..it may have put him into a situation of others following him off the plane and asking as well. I actually feel good that I didnt put him out...and he was able to go off and do what he had planned on the day without me interfering....just as I was able to do myself
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
April 13th, 2014 at 12:27:03 PM permalink
After let's say 14, I wasn't interested in autographs. Can't think of one person on the planet that I want an autograph from.....I would feel like I'm imposing when asking for an autograph. Call me crazy.
Each day is better than the next
LarryS
LarryS
April 13th, 2014 at 12:38:42 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

After let's say 14, I wasn't interested in autographs. Can't think of one person on the planet that I want an autograph from.....I would feel like I'm imposing when asking for an autograph. Call me crazy.

I am the same way, but the greater question is....do they owe you an autograph, photo oportunity etc

alot of people think that celebs owe it to the public since the public pays their salary.

But so does the public pay the salary of the CEO of Nike by buying the products. Does he owe the public his private time, autographs, photo oportunities on demand?

why are movie or tv actors any different than the hometown butcher,baker or candlestick maker... as far as the value of their private time./
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
April 13th, 2014 at 12:43:51 PM permalink
They don't owe anybody a thing.......remember the fan believes in the celebrity of a person.
Each day is better than the next
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 13th, 2014 at 12:51:03 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

I am the same way, but the greater question is....do they owe you an autograph, photo oportunity etc

alot of people think that celebs owe it to the public since the public pays their salary.

But so does the public pay the salary of the CEO of Nike by buying the products. Does he owe the public his private time, autographs, photo oportunities on demand?

why are movie or tv actors any different than the hometown butcher,baker or candlestick maker... as far as the value of their private time./

I think it's a leftover expectation from the 30's and on, when publicists pushed stars to sign and mail autographs (and the public to want them), there were organized fan clubs, and girls ran around with little autograph albums in their purses. A person like Brando, who was famously hostile to press/publicity, was an outlier who risked his career with backlash about his demeanor. But times have changed, with stalkers, paparazzi, and ridiculous invasions of privacy accelerating public sentiment.

I think as recently as 20 years ago, it was a general expectation (even a job requirement) that famous people would cooperate, meeting random encounters with a smile. Now it's all carefully scripted and once removed from the unwashed public. Contrast the sentiment against Sean Penn punching the photographer (it nearly ruined his career) about 10 years before Princess Diana died trying to outrun the pap's, and the condemnation of the photographers in causing that. Now you have celebrities testifying before Congress on the depth of the problem and asking for legislative protection from their fans.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
LarryS
LarryS
April 13th, 2014 at 5:17:35 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think it's a leftover expectation from the 30's and on, when publicists pushed stars to sign and mail autographs (and the public to want them), there were organized fan clubs, and girls ran around with little autograph albums in their purses. A person like Brando, who was famously hostile to press/publicity, was an outlier who risked his career with backlash about his demeanor. But times have changed, with stalkers, paparazzi, and ridiculous invasions of privacy accelerating public sentiment.

I think as recently as 20 years ago, it was a general expectation (even a job requirement) that famous people would cooperate, meeting random encounters with a smile. Now it's all carefully scripted and once removed from the unwashed public. Contrast the sentiment against Sean Penn punching the photographer (it nearly ruined his career) about 10 years before Princess Diana died trying to outrun the pap's, and the condemnation of the photographers in causing that. Now you have celebrities testifying before Congress on the depth of the problem and asking for legislative protection from their fans.

Maybe as we had a MTV generation, we now have a TMZ generation who feel they can be as intrusive into peoples lives as the TMZ crew. After all TMZ is very popular and headed by a lawyer so they know the limits they can reach just before going over the legal line. And they have a huge following. It seems the princess diana results didnt turn people off to paparazzi.There is probably a generation now that hasnt eve heard of her.

I remember years ago seeing an interview with yoko ono where she said that John Lennon loved to live in NYC because he could walk the street and not be bothered,,,,people would just say "hi john" and such. No swarming for autographs.

I wonder if things have changed even in NYC over the last 35 years since his death. With cell phone cameras, and TMZ, and things going viral,and people selling footage and pics to the enquirer and the like...I wonder if Lennon would have been so "at home" if he lived in NYC 2014 VERSION.
  • Jump to: