teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
October 14th, 2012 at 3:12:06 PM permalink
Just got a new phone -- Pantech Revue. No, it's not a smartphone. I've had my old analog keypad phone forever so I was more than a little disappointed when I accidentally dropped it in the pool at Red Rock... :(

New phone is great as far as I can tell. Texting keyboard, nice responsive touch screen, all the usual phone features ... whatever. However, I tried out the caculator app and it only allows numbers to three decimal places?! WTF? This is worse than useless to me. I almost considered returning the phone, but then realized I could dowNload some kind of calculator app I guess. C'mon Pantech!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
October 14th, 2012 at 3:39:50 PM permalink
Ok, this is weird. I haven't purchased a phone since 2008 and I just bought one today as well. My old phone's display stopped working. This new phone was only $30, no contract.

You may want to hold onto your old phone just in case. I dropped my old phone in a bowl of soup and it started working again after a few days.
100% risk of ruin
teddys
teddys
October 14th, 2012 at 3:50:55 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Ok, this is weird. I haven't purchased a phone since 2008 and I just bought one today as well. My old phone's display stopped working. This new phone was only $30, no contract.

You may want to hold onto your old phone just in case. I dropped my old phone in a bowl of soup and it started working again after a few days.

It's dead. Recycled and gone to cell phone heaven. My new phone was $130, I had a free upgrade so I got the "discounted" price. Some discount. Has a 14 day return policy so I may return and just order my old phone off EBay, but I'll probably just keep this one. I do enjoy not having to hit the 7 key four times to write "s."

The other day on the bus I realized I have become one of those douchebags who is always fiddling with their phone.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
October 14th, 2012 at 3:52:55 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

I do enjoy not having to hit the 7 key four times to write "s."

psh... analog rookie. T9!
100% risk of ruin
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
October 14th, 2012 at 3:55:17 PM permalink
If you ever get your phone wet, take out the battery and put the phone in a bag of dry white rice overnight. I still have my old dinosaur after 4 years, but I like how small it is so it's worth nursing along.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
teddys
teddys
October 14th, 2012 at 3:55:50 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

psh... analog rookie. T9!

Indeed. I just learned about that the other day from my brother's friend. He couldn't believe I still hit the keys multiple times. They are all iPhone dorks. (Of course.)

I think I may have tried T9 once but never got the hang of it.

My new phone is thinner than my old phone, even with the keyboard and the big display. It is kind of swag:

s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
October 14th, 2012 at 5:49:11 PM permalink
I have an Atrix now but I think I want to get that Galaxy S
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 15th, 2012 at 7:53:53 AM permalink
I have whatever phone the company decides to issue for a given year. Fortunately I'm not important enough to rate a smartphone (if I did, I'd also get emails and calls on weekends and after hours). One year they gave us a rather nice Motorola with some neat features. Now we have a cut-rate Samsung with minimal functionality. I have to purge the calendar periodically or it fills up, for example.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: