Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 12th, 2012 at 1:37:51 PM permalink
No, really.

The O line has yet to improve and now there are injuries. The Defense plain falls apart without Polamalu for some reason (it did a few years back, too), despite what LeBeau can do. And the team as a whole seems to be embracing their mistakes.

It's better to know this now than to keep up expectations the rest of the season.

And it gives me peace of mind to know I can root for the Ravens to eat the Cowboys next Sunday :)

I'll try to follow the Cardinals this year, but my money would be (it isn't) on the Texans, 49ers and Giants.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
October 12th, 2012 at 2:04:04 PM permalink
I am a lifelong Steeler fan and longtime season ticket holder, and you are correct.

The Steelers are not a good football team. 8-8 at best, and that assumes Roethlisberger remains healthy.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
October 12th, 2012 at 2:21:34 PM permalink
Ohhh those two extra yards for suisam...
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 12th, 2012 at 2:34:43 PM permalink
Quote: MakingBook

I am a lifelong Steeler fan and longtime season ticket holder, and you are correct.

The Steelers are not a good football team. 8-8 at best, and that assumes Roethlisberger remains healthy.

Told everyone at the office they are no longer a great team. They entered a rebuilding period last year but nobody bothered to tell them. Guy next to me is season tix holder and he agreed. If they are a road fav rest of the season bet the farm on their opponent.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 12th, 2012 at 2:52:28 PM permalink
Follow the Cards? Soon to be the same train wreck as the Steelers are right now. Early promise, but those wheels will come off ...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
October 12th, 2012 at 3:30:16 PM permalink
What pissed me off on that last drive was the run into the middle of the line on second and medium yardage. It was like, “OK, the guy can kick 52, so all we need is to get to the 35.” But 52 is easier than 54, and 40 is easier than 52. I don’t think the Steelers should stake a drive, let alone a game, or a season, on Suisham hitting 50+ yarders like he was Janikowski.

And what happened to cutting to the hole? More than once whichever back had the ball plowed into the designed slot instead of reading the blocking and cutting to daylight. When the defense adjusts to the play it leaves something else open. That’s what Mendenhall brings to the game; not speed, or even quickness, but eyes and awareness; he can see where the hole moves to, and hit the new hole. And, if anyone hasn’t noticed, Wallace has developed a case of nocatchitis (82 yarder notwithstanding, quite a few balls have bounced off his hands this year).

Except for that last drive, the defense gave up 4 field goals, about what you’d expect from a “tackle the catch” team playing against a weak offense like the Titans. The last drive was basically Harrison being old and coming off an injury, and not being able to keep up with a receiver.

The loss was a “sum of the little things” loss, and that doesn’t bode well for the future. If the Steelers had just one outstanding unit they could use it to overcome weaknesses elsewhere, but they don’t. They’re not going to put basketball scores on anyone, even if they win the 3rd down efficiency battle. (And anyhow, what happened to avoiding 3rd down?) The Steelers aren’t going to go into the 4th quarter up by 24, like the Pats do. And they’re not going to stifle anyone like they used to do, making a Steelers 10 point lead going into the 4th quarter seem hopeless to their opponents. Other teams look at this and think: “Titans took ‘em? It’s our turn now.”

No. this does not bode well, it is not a good omen at all.
A falling knife has no handle.
Nareed
Nareed
October 12th, 2012 at 4:17:05 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Follow the Cards?

Yes. they have a Steeler as head coach. One with a Steeler SB ring, to boot. So that makes them the next best thing to the actual Steelers.
Nareed
Nareed
October 22nd, 2012 at 8:13:36 AM permalink
It would seem the Cardinals are not in any good shape either... So I'll just follow no team in particular. Once again, it's a matter of seeing the Cowboys, Saints and Packers do badly ;)

Paradoxically the Steelers suddenly face a bright prospect in their own division. The Bengals aren't playing well. The Ravens have massively imploded. And the Cleveland Browns are the Cleveland Browns.

The Steelers, then, might just sweep their division. This means their prospects of ending up 8-8 are considerably brighter.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 22nd, 2012 at 8:18:00 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Yes. they have a Steeler as head coach. One with a Steeler SB ring, to boot. So that makes them the next best thing to the actual Steelers.

Told you so. Plus giving up on your team so early.... tsk, tsk.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
October 22nd, 2012 at 8:29:12 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Told you so. Plus giving up on your team so early.... tsk, tsk.

Yeah, the last time I complained bitterly about the Steelers, they defeated the Cardinals in the Super Bowl.

So i shoudl disown the team for all eternity and complain even when they win big. That way they'll keep winning Super Bowls every year.
  • Jump to: