Poll

18 votes (45%)
22 votes (55%)

40 members have voted

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
August 15th, 2012 at 5:06:14 PM permalink
One of the issues here is the sanctity of private messages. The Wiz has made it a rule of the forum that one member cannot divulge to the forum the contents of a private message. I think that I no longer will want anyone sending me such messages. I would like to think a private message has the same sanctity as any private conversation, no more, no less. The implication that because someone used the 'pm' button instead of a phone call or a text and that has some greater need for secrecy makes no sense to me.
Perhaps I am alone in this thought, here's one way to find out......
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
August 15th, 2012 at 5:10:36 PM permalink
I think a sender should always have the right to divulge any of their authored messages. The receiver of a PM should not have the same right.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
August 15th, 2012 at 5:13:47 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

I think a sender should always have the right to divulge any of their authored messages. The receiver of a PM should not have the same right.

As an example, JoeSchmo sent me a pm telling me that RaleighCraps is a philandering, murdering, stealing, Advantage Player! You don't think I should have the right to tell you someone is calling you an Advantage Player?
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 15th, 2012 at 5:17:27 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

As an example, JoeSchmo sent me a pm telling me that RaleighCraps is a philandering, murdering, stealing, Advantage Player! You don't think I should have the right to tell you someone is calling you an Advantage Player?

Damnit Scott! That was a supposed to be a secret!! :-P

I think there needs to be a mechanism for responsibly revealing the info in PMs if there's a compelling reason to do so. That could be some sort of emergency, or a vast difference from what's being said publicly.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
August 15th, 2012 at 5:19:06 PM permalink

One of the issues here is the sanctity of private messages. The Wiz has made it a rule of the forum that one member cannot divulge to the forum the contents of a private message. I think that I no longer will want anyone sending me such messages. I would like to think a private message has the same sanctity as any private conversation, no more, no less. The implication that because someone used the 'pm' button instead of a phone call or a text and that has some greater need for secrecy makes no sense to me.
Perhaps I am alone in this thought, here's one way to find out......

Did someone violate the sanctity of the PM in your case?

If that is the case, that person should be suspended. The rule is not flexible.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 425
August 15th, 2012 at 5:21:50 PM permalink
The reason PM's are secret is because in the past
members have used them as ammo to gang up
on another member. The point of a PM is I want
to say something in private. If I wanted it
spread all over the forum I would have done
that myself. I need to know the person I'm
writing to is forbidden to repeat what I said
without my permission.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
August 15th, 2012 at 5:24:26 PM permalink
Private messaging does not mean you are entering into a confidentiality agreement.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 425
August 15th, 2012 at 5:26:06 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

Private messaging does not mean you are entering into a confidentiality agreement.

Nope. But if you reveal the contents here, you get
banned. Its happened a couple times, anybody
remember MKL? And he used the PM's in a vicious
way, too.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 15th, 2012 at 5:26:24 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

I think right now it kind of does. There's a penalty for breaching that confidentiality and everything.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
August 15th, 2012 at 5:26:42 PM permalink

I'm a craps player. Everyone knows I couldn't be an AP! Need a better example. :-)
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!

• Jump to: