Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
November 4th, 2019 at 3:17:32 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Tip your maid $20 next time you stay in a hotel. Pick a cheaper one. It will make her day and cancel out the other maids having to replace your stolen signs.

The hotel will benefit from having a happier worker for a while.

Thanks for all the suggestions. This one seems the most practical. I think $2 per sign is fair, and I've got about 20 to 30.

Quote: AxelWolf

I think you should go to the police station and turn yourself in. Please secretly video it. I would love to see their reaction and the look on their face. You can post it on your YouTube.

I actually asked a police officer recently if people can show up to a police station and ask to be arrested, because they figure that life in jail is better than on the streets. He said "no," and such people will just commit more crime until they get caught.

I think the general policy is the victim needs to press charges for there to be an arrest. If I tried this, I think the police would ask me to leave unless the hotel filed a police report first. At best, they might have me fill out a statement about it, which they would probably laugh at later and then throw away.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
November 4th, 2019 at 4:02:14 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks for all the suggestions. This one seems the most practical. I think $2 per sign is fair, and I've got about 20 to 30.

Wizard,
Try this out...

Is it right that you should be the soul judge, jury and executioner in this string of offences?
Is it right that you retain possession of the treasured collection? Shouldn't you suffer the penalty of potential loss of possession?

How about this for covering all the bases, pragmatically:-

Write a brief note to each hotel saying that you've apparently borrowed one of their signs. You've grown emotionally attached to it and would like to either buy it or return it with your preference being to buy it. Enclose your business card and ask that they get back in touch within 30 days or you'll dispose of it locally.

Inevitably someone will take the story to the press or social media. Traffic will flood in to the sites.

No publicity is bad publicity.

Maybe run the idea by your lawyer first $:o)
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Lovecomps
Lovecomps
  • Threads: 79
November 4th, 2019 at 5:17:41 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I actually asked a police officer recently if people can show up to a police station and ask to be arrested, because they figure that life in jail is better than on the streets. He said "no," and such people will just commit more crime until they get caught.

I have to disagree. Hobos (the homeless if you want to be PC) do it all the time. The term is "getting three hots and a cot."
The best things in life are not free.
Rcparker99
Rcparker99
  • Threads: 1
November 7th, 2019 at 10:14:42 AM permalink
since you "liked" the do not disturb so much that you kept it, you should "repay" the hotel with good comments/rating on their web site or a travel site. I am sure the "free" advertising is a fair exchange for the "free" do not disturb sign.
Ps: I have not read this entire tread, so if this has been suggested before, please ignore.
  • Jump to: