Thread Rating:

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 19th, 2012 at 1:05:11 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Why does one steal an ironing board? Its not likely to be fenced for all that much, has to be transported to a vehicle and most people who buy stolen goods would have few people they have to iron a shirt for: their parole officer?

More likely it was broken and not replaced (yet.... ever?)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
March 19th, 2012 at 1:57:47 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Can't they melt the thousands of bars guests leave behind together, and make new bars?

I think I once saw something where some group saved the part-used soaps, melting them together for the homeless or god knows what.

I am glad to see someone else takes the DND signs. It may still be weird, but I am not alone.

I will admit that in the first out of college job I had I took towels. Mostly for the sport of taking them. Later I took one wooden hanger at a time in places that had them. Nicest in my collection? "Bally's" in AC. I haven't done this nonsense in over 10 years.

I think I admitted it here before, but one time the Coca-Cola machine in the hotel kept issuing credits, then ejecting the bill. Then I hit coin release and got the credit amount! Since they never remembered to give my my priority-guest goodie pack (stayed 20+ nights per year) I consider them still ahead.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
March 19th, 2012 at 2:20:27 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I think I once saw something where some group saved the part-used soaps, melting them together for the homeless or god knows what. .

I read you can take a bunch of the little soaps
you get from hotels and put them in a plastic
bowl with a little water, heat in the micro till
melted, let sit for a day and you have an
excellent liquid soap you can fill a dispenser
with. Good idea.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 19th, 2012 at 2:32:14 PM permalink
There was a company that collected unused and partially used soaps and turned them into laundry detergent, which was sold back to the hotels.

Hmm, can't find a link to them, but here's "Clean the world" that is working in Vegas to make soap from the left overs :

http://cleantheworld.org/operations.asp

And why not?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 92
March 19th, 2012 at 3:23:20 PM permalink
I usually take the small toiletries, but I have an excuse; one of my supervisors at work is involved in a program that collects them and sends them to armed forces personnel overseas.
travisl
travisl
  • Threads: 2
March 22nd, 2012 at 2:57:56 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

I got such a kick out of this sign at a place last year, I snapped a pic

You should have just taken the sign. It's free.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
March 22nd, 2012 at 3:45:25 PM permalink
When I travel and it's not by car, I travel light. [The hardest part is actually convincing your companion to travel light.] So I don't have the space to take anything that I don't immediately need, or, more precisely, any intention to provide that space.

I really don't understand taking a half-empty bottle of shampoo (even if I had a direct use for it), unless the next place you're going to stay at isn't going to have any.
[If the bottle costs $50 retail, you're probably staying at a $5,000 place. The heck?]
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
March 22nd, 2012 at 5:39:00 PM permalink
Here's what I have in stock:

I haven't bought shampoo or soap in a store in many many years.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
March 22nd, 2012 at 6:01:53 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I am glad to see someone else takes the DND signs.

I'm not. At both the Flamingo and P Ho there is such a shortage of them that other people stole them right off my door to use themselves (or perhaps they're just inconsiderate and want to take them home as well, couldn't find one in their room). Taking them as 'souvenirs' is pretty idiotic and I imagine that at least 90% of them taken for that purpose just end up as trash within a year.
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
March 22nd, 2012 at 8:08:14 PM permalink
The DND sign gets stolen so often when I put
it on the door that I close the door on it now
and just part of the sign is sticking out so they
can't steal it.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: