Thread Rating:

PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 22
January 27th, 2022 at 2:19:01 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Jimeenez, PG! First of all, thanks for finding this omission and letting me know about it. (Fixed, now.) Second, it strikes me that it must have taken a significant effort on your part to find this -- does this mean that your life in this age of the pandemic is really that boring? I am rather confident that I would never have discovered this without your search, so my "Thanks!" is quite genuine.

Third, it is plausible to me that I might actually have an excuse for that oversight. I indexed the chip that smoothgrh posted earlier that day (at 2 a.m. EST), but missed yours. Why would that be?

Well it turns out that I had a computer disaster that (I think) arose on 12/1/21 that has caused me extended grief and distraction since then and I am still working to get straightened out. That day (at least some day in very early December) I got a pop-up notice from Apple saying that a new version of the Mac operating system was available and suggesting that I update from macOS 11.6.something to 12.0.1.

I did that, and immediately began experiencing agony. There were several things that would no longer function properly on my computer, and over the next two weeks I had multiple help cases created with Apple's Tech Support folks. In spite of their sincere efforts, the problems weren't fixed. I finally decided that even though I had been screen sharing with their reps, I might need to have support from someone who was right there with the computer and seeing what was going on.

I made an appointment with the "Genius Bar" at a local Apple Store, took my computer in, and wound up spending hours there. Eventually, when they couldn't figure out what was going on, they suggested I reinstall macOS 11.6 to see whether that fixed the problem. They had the old system instilled on a drive that they could hook up to my computer and do the re-install for me, so I said OK. Unfortunately, while the specific problems I had been fighting with seemed to be resolved, they did not tell me that in the process of going back to an older OS, a whole bunch of stuff would disappear from my computer: applications, folders of email archives, documents, etc.

I asked them whether I could restore that stuff from the Time Machine backups I had been saving on an external drive. They recommended against that, saying that if I restored stuff, I might accidentally restore whatever had been causing my problems. The remainder of December was a computer nightmare for me.

In early January, I got guidance from Apple Tech Support on updating once again to OS 12, which by then had been revised to version 12.1 That seemed to work fine, except for all of the missing information. Earlier this week, I started working with Tech Support again, trying to recover some very important stuff from my Time Machine drive, and I have made significant progress on that. I think I am still missing some stuff, but I think I will survive.
link to original post

To answer your first point, have you forgotten that Iíve done this 2 previous times. I try and do it every 18-24 months but because of the pandemic there was less need.

Second, donít you know to NEVER update Apple products????
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
Thanks for this post from:
PokerGrinder
January 27th, 2022 at 7:41:46 PM permalink
Yes, I know you have done this before, and I do appreciate it. It just seems like a lot of work, and I am glad that someone other than me is willing to do it occasionally. And if I never updated Apple products, I would still be trying to use the Mac SE that I bought in 1987 to replace my IBM portable PC. I donít think that would be feasible now, but periodic updates and upgrades have allowed me to stick with the Mac line for quite a few years. (Of course, perhaps I should admit that I am still using a MacBook Air from early 2015.)
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 22
January 27th, 2022 at 8:51:12 PM permalink
Ya it takes me a few hours each time but itís not a big deal, happy to help out.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston

• Jump to: