Thread Rating:

NokTang
NokTang
Joined: Aug 15, 2011
  • Threads: 56
  • Posts: 1314
January 1st, 2019 at 6:10:03 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

Category: Asia
City: Macau
Casino: Casino Lisboa

Winner winner, literally paid for my chicken (among other dishes) dinner!



African Chicken keeps showing up in Macau advertisements as some how a native dish to the island. Please clarify when/if you post a trip report. Thanks.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 4265
January 1st, 2019 at 11:45:46 AM permalink
Quote: NokTang

Quote: smoothgrh

Category: Asia
City: Macau
Casino: Casino Lisboa

Winner winner, literally paid for my chicken (among other dishes) dinner!



African Chicken keeps showing up in Macau advertisements as some how a native dish to the island. Please clarify when/if you post a trip report. Thanks.


It is and it is excellent!
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
Joined: Oct 26, 2011
  • Threads: 71
  • Posts: 849
January 1st, 2019 at 1:33:38 PM permalink
Quote: Doc


My assessment is that this is a jetton. I only have two of those in my collection. When I posted them -- here and here, I tried to display the shape by including an "edge" photo.



Thanks for the information! I had never heard of—nor seen—a jeton before, so when I saw those unusual chips at an unfamiliar casino, I thought "Toto, we're not in Reno anymore!"

Upon further examination, the chip description wasn't quite accurate. The jetons are flat on each side and they're therefore stackable. The edges of the jeton have the distinctive design of being like a flying saucer edge. (That's the best description I can think of.)

I was a bit disappointed that the chip didn't say Casino Lisboa, but I suppose the corporate style is similar to the Great Canadian Casino chips of the 2000s.

Here's a side view of the chip.

Last edited by: smoothgrh on Jan 1, 2019
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
Joined: Oct 26, 2011
  • Threads: 71
  • Posts: 849
January 1st, 2019 at 1:35:48 PM permalink
Quote: NokTang

Quote: smoothgrh

Category: Asia
City: Macau
Casino: Casino Lisboa

Winner winner, literally paid for my chicken (among other dishes) dinner!



African Chicken keeps showing up in Macau advertisements as some how a native dish to the island. Please clarify when/if you post a trip report. Thanks.



The Macau Cafe in Kowloon has a chicken for its logo. I don't recall chicken iconography in Macau itself, but I'll review my photos.

I'll try to write the trip report soon—before I start forgetting details.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 4265
Thanks for this post from:
smoothgrh
January 1st, 2019 at 1:40:51 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

Quote: Doc


My assessment is that this is a jetton. I only have two of those in my collection. When I posted them -- here and here, I tried to display the shape by including an "edge" photo.



Thanks for the information! I had never heard of—nor seen—a jeton before, so when I saw those unusual chips at an unfamiliar casino, I thought "Toto, we're not in Reno anymore!"

Upon further examination, the chip description wasn't quite accurate. The jetons are flat on each side and they're therefore stackable. The edges of the jeton have the distinctive design of being like a flying saucer edge. (That's the best description I can think of.)

I was a bit disappointed that the chip didn't say Casino Lisboa, but I suppose the corporate style is similar to the Great Western Canadian casino chips of the 2000s.

Here's a side view of the chip.



A company called SJM owns about half the casinos in Macau and almost all of them use the same generic chips. The only exceptions to my knowledge are Lan Kwai Fong and Ponte 16.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 2244
January 1st, 2019 at 1:58:13 PM permalink
It reminds me of the beads on an abacus.

It's kind of clever since you can easily select "x" amount of chips from a stack.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 4265
January 1st, 2019 at 2:01:35 PM permalink
Category: Europe
City: London, England
Casino: Sportsman Casino


Happy New Year everyone!

Today's chip of the day is from The Sportsman Casino in London, England. The Sportsman was a very nice casino that turned out to be a Total Rewards property as well. I played £5 BJ and lost £60 while doing so. I had absolutely no luck in the England casinos, that is how the cookie crumbles sometimes (Anchorman quote). They had 15-20 tables and 40+ slots which was a lot for the small casinos in London.

The chip is red with 4 grey/black/grey edge inserts and 4 grey "5's" around the inlay.The centre inlay is white with the casino name in black. The logo is of a hand holding what looks like the Olympic torch. The chips at The Sportsman showed a lot more wear than others that I saw. The blue £1 chips were so faded that I could barely see the name on them anymore. I kept this £5 chip which also shows a decent amount of marking on the centre inlay.

You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 2244
January 1st, 2019 at 7:50:57 PM permalink
How often does a casino purchase fresh chips? You mention here and elsewhere about low denomination chips so worn you can barely read them. I don't expect a place to buy new ones annually but, imho, chips with excessive wear reflect poorly on the establishment.

As for the chip at hand, the color scheme is nice if somewhat bland. I like the denomination numbers at the four compass points for easy identification. I'm not crazy about the club logo but that's not the chip makers problem.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Doc
Doc 
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 7128
Thanks for this post from:
smoothgrh
January 1st, 2019 at 8:34:02 PM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Doc, konbu already posted a chip from this same set (10 HKD) from Oceanus which is another of the SJM casinos. Thoughts on indexing it twice?


Well, since I've never been to Macau, I (naturally) had forgotten Konbu's post and that he mentioned that SJM had multiple casinos.

In my post right after Konbu's post of the Oceanus chip, I said:

Quote: Doc

Yeah, I seem to have trapped myself into a role of naming the continents/categories and perhaps even the casinos. How did I let that happen? The MOGH catalog just shows this chip under the category of S.J.M. Since you got it at the Oceanus, I think I'll just put it in the directory under that name and possibly make some adjustment if someone starts to post chips/jetons from other S.J.M casinos in Macau.



For now, I think I'm OK with having an Oceanus chip and a Lisboa chip (jetons or jettons, really). These are different designs collected at different casinos, so I don't think we are experiencing an epidemic yet. I may regret that position some day.
Doc
Doc 
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 7128
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
January 1st, 2019 at 8:49:26 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere (in reference to a jeton)

It reminds me of the beads on an abacus.

It's kind of clever since you can easily select "x" amount of chips from a stack.


You might check the Wikipedea entry on jeton, where it says:

Quote: Wiki

Jetons or jettons are tokens or coin-like medals produced across Europe from the 13th through the 17th centuries. They were produced as counters for use in calculation on a counting board, a lined board similar to an abacus. They also found use as a money substitute in games, similar to modern casino chips or poker chips.


  • Jump to: