Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 28th, 2012 at 4:48:44 AM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

I realized, thinking about it just now, that I do owe this thread a few final words ...

Someone's really jealous.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1387
October 28th, 2012 at 8:16:37 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I am requesting that both lucyjr and texasplummer be sent a pm from an administrator, and if they don't pay in a reasonable period of time, be given the 'nuclear option'.

Everybody knows that I believe very strongly in the sanctity of a bet. If you lose you pay. No excuses.

That said, one issue to come up from time to time in this thread is the legality of it. Some have likened it to "wagering on the Internet." I have always maintained that there were just friendly bets, based on the honor system. If I were to take punitve action for not honoring losing bets then it they would start becoming more like wagers than bets. So, I am leaving it up to the individuals to pay.

However, I think most of us here honor our own bets and don't look kindly on welchers. Should lucyjr or texasplummer show their faces I trust the community, including me, will take them to task for not paying.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
October 28th, 2012 at 3:57:03 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Everybody knows that I believe very strongly in the sanctity of a bet. If you lose you pay. No excuses.

That said, one issue to come up from time to time in this thread is the legality of it. Some have likened it to "wagering on the Internet." I have always maintained that there were just friendly bets, based on the honor system. If I were to take punitve action for not honoring losing bets then it they would start becoming more like wagers than bets. So, I am leaving it up to the individuals to pay.

However, I think most of us here honor our own bets and don't look kindly on welchers. Should lucyjr or texasplummer show their faces I trust the community, including me, will take them to task for not paying.

I'm very surprised by the Wiz's take on this. I would say that on a gambling forum welshing is the worst action a member can do. FAR worse than calling someone a name, FAR worse than using a second identity to get around a suspension, FAR worse than pretty much anything I can think of....
I of course hope that the two laggards have paid HB, and we just don't have that info. HB hasn't posted in a while....
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 325
October 28th, 2012 at 4:06:45 PM permalink

I would say that on a gambling forum welshing is the worst action a member can do. FAR worse than calling someone a name, FAR worse than using a second identity to get around a suspension, FAR worse than pretty much anything I can think of....

So then, the Wiz should ban based on a member's behavior in the real world, regardless as to the content of their posts?

Is THAT what you are saying?

Hey, I exceeded the speed limit by 5 mph yesterday; should I be banned for that?

The Wiz should ban for violation of the rules only.

Your attempt to legislate morality is noted and rejected as Absurd.
"What, me worry?"
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
October 28th, 2012 at 4:38:13 PM permalink

I'm very surprised by the Wiz's take on this. I would say that on a gambling forum welshing is the worst action a member can do. FAR worse than calling someone a name, FAR worse than using a second identity to get around a suspension, FAR worse than pretty much anything I can think of....

When I was a kid and later as a collector, there were two things i hated. One was anybody who welshed on a bet. the second was
seeing a guy choke when I had money on him. No that I am almost grown up, I have added guys who don't pay child support to that list.

SOOPOO, you are 100 % correct in your opinion !!!!!!

Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
October 28th, 2012 at 4:41:49 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

So then, the Wiz should ban based on a member's behavior in the real world, regardless as to the content of their posts?

Is THAT what you are saying?

Hey, I exceeded the speed limit by 5 mph yesterday; should I be banned for that?

The Wiz should ban for violation of the rules only.

Your attempt to legislate morality is noted and rejected as Absurd.

By who? You? LOL! Feeble attempt at an analogy, by the way! The 'behavior in the real world' was DIRECTLY related to a WoV thread and a WoV bet. The 'content of their posts' was to promise payment to another member based on a certain condition being met. The condition was met. I stand by my suggestion that if they welsh, they should be permanently banned.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
October 28th, 2012 at 4:45:52 PM permalink
public shunning works equally well as a ban, and actually delivers a stronger message.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 325
October 28th, 2012 at 5:10:36 PM permalink
I could care less whether they welsh on a private, arguably ILLEGAL bet.

That is between them, and NOT any of your or the Wiz's concern.

Let them stiff her.

Move on ...
"What, me worry?"
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
October 28th, 2012 at 5:38:05 PM permalink
If the wizard imposes sanctions on those who don't pay up he is in essence condoning "illegal gambling" And as his virtual attorney for the day I am strongly advising against it. Furthermore if you consider yourself a friend of the wizard you should reconsider asking him to put himself in such a prercarious situation.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
October 28th, 2012 at 5:39:05 PM permalink
I think it's best to withhold judgment until we've actually heard from them. If they pop back up here and try to pretend nothing ever happened, they'll deserve all the vitriol they get, but for now, let's just see.

Lucyjr disappeared long enough ago, and spent little enough time here in the first place, that it might have just stupidly slipped off her radar. texasplumr, on the other hand, especially him having put HB on ignore, I can't see as having done anything else but taken the money and run... but hell, I've seen The Upside of Anger.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.

• Jump to: