newbie49
newbie49
  • Threads: 25
September 27th, 2011 at 5:16:52 AM permalink
I read gambling winning are taxed in the USA at 50% for foreigners.

is this true?
I find it hard to believe any Asian whale would travel to gamble in Las Vegas if their winning is cut in half by the tax office...
heather
heather
  • Threads: 8
September 27th, 2011 at 9:36:33 AM permalink
Supposed to be subject to 30% withholding at the Federal level. The regular gambling withholding (for citizens) is 28% for winnings in excess of $5000.

Quote: irs.gov

Payments of gambling winnings to a nonresident alien individual or a foreign entity are not subject to reporting or withholding on Form W-2G. Generally, gambling winnings paid to a foreign person are subject to 30% withholding under sections 1441(a) and 1442(a) and are reportable on Form 1042, Annual Withholding Tax Return for U.S. Source Income of Foreign Persons, and Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding. Winnings of a nonresident alien from blackjack, baccarat, craps, roulette, big-6 wheel, or a live dog or horse race in the United States from legal wagers initiated outside the United States in a parimutuel pool are not subject to withholding or reporting. See Pub. 515, Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Entities.

www.irs.gov/instructions/iw2g/ar02.html

It occurs to me that it would be very easy to avoid this withholding, but don't know how much detail I should probably get into in that regard....
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 27th, 2011 at 10:29:51 AM permalink
The U.S. also has tax treaties with certain other nations to exclude withholding on winnings. Japan and England are examples. Forms are required to be submitted to a representitive. The larger joints will have the paperwork in the cage. Be sure to have your passport with you.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
September 27th, 2011 at 10:32:25 AM permalink
The airport walls are filled with ads by companies that will get the taxes back for you.

A small fee may apply.
marksolberg
marksolberg
  • Threads: 26
September 27th, 2011 at 10:42:53 AM permalink
We have a large percentage of Canadian customers. When they have a taxable win we file form 1042-S Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding. We are required to withhold 30% of the winnings. Our Canadian customers tell us it is pretty easy to get this money back from the U.S. government.

Mark
  • Jump to: