Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 20th, 2011 at 4:52:24 PM permalink
Anybody else here a Stephen King fan? I started reading his books in 1990 and never looked back. If you have never indulged yourself, you don't know what you're missing. The Stand, It, The Shining, Salem's Lot. All his stuff is good, his early stuff in unreal. I bet I've read The Stand 5 times and 'It' still haunts me. I suspect reading SK has fundamentally changed me somehow, I don't want to think about it. My brother was trapped in his house by the blizzard of 1978 and he chose that time to read The Shining. I kid you not. Scared him to death for years afterwards.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
July 20th, 2011 at 5:22:32 PM permalink
I don't rise to your level, but I've read about half his books, mostly the older ones. When I tried to climb Mount Hood last month I visited the Timberline Lodge, which was used for the exterior shots in the Shining. It was very cool to see it, as The Shining was one of my favorite books, and liked the movie as well. No, it did not have a hedge maze.

My favorite has got to be The Stand. Best movie based on a King book, The Shawshank Redemption.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 20th, 2011 at 5:26:14 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Best movie based on a King book, The Shawshank Redemption.

What about "Stand By Me"?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 20th, 2011 at 5:26:54 PM permalink

Best movie based on a King book, The Shawshank Redemption.

Great movie. All around first rate. Tied with "The Only Movie Based on A Stephen King Book I've Ever Seen"
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 20th, 2011 at 6:17:21 PM permalink

but I've read about half his books, mostly the older ones. .

Have you read any of the Dark Tower series? They were his special projects and I think they represent his best work. If you read The Gunslinger, you'll be hooked. Christine is awesome, Insomnia is disturbing, even Rose Madder and Desperation are well worth reading. King has a way of sucking you into what looks like a normal scenario that could be going on down the street, and then things go very badly. He had an accident in the 90's and got hit by a truck when he was walking his dog and his writing has never been the same since.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 20th, 2011 at 8:56:36 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Have you read any of the Dark Tower series?

Yes. I thought the Gunslinger was about average compared to his other books. I got about half way through the second one, but the bookmark fell out, got busy with other things, and never finished it.

Worst Stephen King book -- The Talisman
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 20th, 2011 at 9:35:22 PM permalink
I loved his books growing up, and read all the older ones apart from the Gunslinger series. Read part of the fourth one later on, but couldn't get into it... which is hardly surprising. Carrie I think was the first. IT and the Stand are staggering works.

The Different Season quad (Hope Springs Eternal, Summer of Corruption, Fall from Innocence and a Winter's Tale) and the Bachmann books are brilliant as well. Apt Pupil is (aka Summer of Corruption) is particularly nasty and horrifying, while Stand By Me (aka The Body, aka Fall from Innocence) and Shawshank Redemption (aka Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, aka Hope Springs Eternal) are fantastically written tales, that sucked me in and I can still remember the clear images in my head.

The film of the Apt Pupil was crap, by the way.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 20th, 2011 at 10:26:55 PM permalink

Yes. I thought the Gunslinger was about average compared to his other books.

Think about another try, the first 4 are very good. They're
not like his other books, he gets into character development
and good against evil.
OneAngryDwarf
OneAngryDwarf
  • Threads: 44
July 20th, 2011 at 10:33:40 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

The film of the Apt Pupil was crap, by the way.

Film adaptations of King stories never seem to have a middle ground--they're either amazingly good (Shawshank, Misery, The Shining) or amazingly awful (Maximum Overdrive, The Langoliers). The only exception I have seen is the John Cusack movie 1408 from a few years ago--that one was pretty good, but no classic.
"I believe I've passed the age/of consciousness and righteous rage/I've found that just surviving was a noble fight... I once believed in causes too/I had my pointless point of view/And life went on no matter who was wrong or right..." --Billy Joel
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 20th, 2011 at 10:38:31 PM permalink

IT and the Stand are staggering works.

I read 'It' twice and said never again, that book really gives me the creeps.
Hits home at too many childhood fears. Apt Pupil was too much, as was Geralds
Game, didn't like it. Green Mile, Shawshank, good stories and good movies.
Christine the book is a treat, its more macabre than the movie. I'm afraid to
admit I never read Carrie because I hated the movie. I didn't read Firestarter
for the same reason. Oh well, give me something to look forward to.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 20th, 2011 at 10:41:05 PM permalink
Quote: OneAngryDwarf

or amazingly awful (Maximum Overdrive, The Langoliers)

The Langoliers was not great cinema, but it did catch the
spirit of the story. I felt the same dread that I felt reading
the book, but the rest was pretty average.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 20th, 2011 at 10:48:06 PM permalink

Worst Stephen King book -- The Talisman

Its tied with The Tommyknockers. Even SK says he regrets that one. Needful Things was a good book, terrible movie.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 20th, 2011 at 10:52:02 PM permalink
Some of those movies were written as short stories (Shawshank, Stand By Me, Lawnmower Man, Sometimes they Come Back, Children of the Corn, etc) and I'd like the see The Long Walk get made into a movie too. Of course, the way it was written, you knew right away who would win and who would be second, but I think a good director could make it suspenseful.

I thought The Stand was a fantastic novel. I read the original when new, and the re-editing with added material in mid-90's and wish the TV movie could've been better. Jamey Sheridan's Flagg came off a bit comical rather than frightening (maybe Stephen Lang would've been better?), and the whole climax in downtown Las Vegas at the Plaza was amateurish and TV-ish. I thought Molly Ringwald and Bill Fagerbakke as Tom Cullen were poor choices in casting. Even so, I taped it back when it first aired ('95?) and watched it a few times since. Better than nothing.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
thecesspit
thecesspit
July 20th, 2011 at 11:03:26 PM permalink

I read 'It' twice and said never again, that book really gives me the creeps.
Hits home at too many childhood fears. Apt Pupil was too much, as was Geralds
Game, didn't like it. Green Mile, Shawshank, good stories and good movies.
Christine the book is a treat, its more macabre than the movie. I'm afraid to
admit I never read Carrie because I hated the movie. I didn't read Firestarter
for the same reason. Oh well, give me something to look forward to.

Carrie is a far far better book than movie... the movie was pretty crappy.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 20th, 2011 at 11:07:38 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

I thought The Stand was a fantastic novel. I read the original when new, and the re-editing with added material in mid-90's and wish the TV movie could've been better. Jamey Sheridan's Flagg came off a bit comical rather than frightening

I thought Rutger Hauer would have made a real evil Flagg. I was disappointed they left out the cowboy kid who raced around in his souped up car and was Trashy's 'boyfriend' until Flagg's wolves trapped him in his car. He was colorful and would have translated well to the screen.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 20th, 2011 at 11:32:39 PM permalink

... and the whole climax in downtown Las Vegas at the Plaza was amateurish and TV-ish.

One thing I hold against SK is many of his books have the same kind of biblical good vs. evil over the top ending. It, The Stand, and Needful Things come to mind. I'd rather he kept it more down to earth, with a touch of the supernatural, as in The Shining, Firestarter (is that one word or two?), or Carrie.
zippyboy
zippyboy
July 20th, 2011 at 11:43:08 PM permalink
Rutger Hauer would've been good, yes. And he was an 'in-demand' actor back in those days. Kinda fell off the map after some success in the 80's. Too bad. There was much they left out of the book. Just like they left out the whole landscaped topiary that came to life in The Shining. Big part of the story....left out. (but later included in the TV movie with Stephen Weber.)

Christine, Firestarter, Thinner, Running Man, Cujo, Carrie....hell, they all were better books than movies. Didn't read Langoliers or It. The Stand was waaaaaay better as a book.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2011 at 2:18:20 AM permalink

Didn't read Langoliers or It.

Go on Amazon and buy a used copy of IT, you won't regret it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2011 at 2:25:25 AM permalink

One thing I hold against SK is many of his books have the same kind of biblical good vs. evil over the top ending./q]

Randall Flagg was in 9 King books. In Desperation the hero was a kid who had direct contact with God. Still a good read, though.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 21st, 2011 at 6:45:35 AM permalink

Carrie....hell, they all were better books than movies.

I thought the movie was a classic, and better than the book.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
July 21st, 2011 at 9:10:27 AM permalink
I will, on occasion, use the head shot of Sissy Spacek covered in pig's blood as my avatar. Always a winner!
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 21st, 2011 at 10:34:24 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

I will, on occasion, use the head shot of Sissy Spacek covered in pig's blood as my avatar. Always a winner!

That an illustrated example why this site doesn't support avatars.

Trivia time: Where is the hog farm seen in the movie?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
July 21st, 2011 at 12:12:08 PM permalink

That an illustrated example why this site doesn't support avatars.

Trivia time: Where is the hog farm seen in the movie?

I don't know!
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 21st, 2011 at 1:29:08 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Do you want fries with that?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 21st, 2011 at 3:03:16 PM permalink
I happened to pick up a ratty copy of "Hearts in Atlantis" that was laying around at work one boring day, and I was floored. I had never had a book reach inside me and give my emotions a good rumage before. Plus, I always looked at SK as "that guy that makes a lot of 'meh' movies" (this was 2000-2001 when I discovered his writing). All I remembered of him was the "It" movie and pretty much wrote him off after that. My god...

"Hearts in Atlantis" opened my eyes, and I spent a good long time after that chewing through anything I could find of his (minus the Bachman). The imagery he conveys and the emotions he can create with words is astounding. Even subjects I don't really care for, vampires in "Needful Things", for example, I found compelling. I was hooked. It literally changed my life; instead of going out partying and chasing girls with other 20yr olds, instead of druggin' down at the railroad bridge, instead of street racing on the back roads, you'd find me cross-legged on the couch, joint in hand, absorbed whatever SK book I happened to find that month. It pretty much sparked the more responsible, intellectual side of me and ended the hormone driven, seat-of-the-pants adolescence that was causing so much trouble.

Reading so much, you undoubtedly find reference to his other books, most notably The Dark Tower. I don't even have words to express my journey to finding it, other than it was much like the book itself. Almost like I was meant to read it, but not until I was supposed to. It is undoubtedly, without comparison, the best thing I have ever laid eyes to. I feel it's this time periods "Lord of the Rings", just a sublime example of an epic writing masterpiece. I've read it 3 or 4 times, and have the "book on tape" that we've been listening to at work, and every time I read it it's as good as the first. I like it so much that I am absolutely terrified that Howard is making a movie out of it. LotR is the only book to movie transition I felt was successful, but even though I felt the trilogy was fantastic and did a great job of "being the book", it wasn't perfect (how could you omit Tom Bombadil?) If Howard screws up The Dark Tower, there's not a vessel in this universe that could contain my annoyance.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
thecesspit
thecesspit
July 21st, 2011 at 3:36:41 PM permalink
I don't mind what they left out of Lord of the Rings, as they were trying to tell the journey of the Ring as best as possible, while Tolkein was trying to tell a history of Middle Earth by way of the journey. I've found films that stay totally faithful to the book lose something... it's more important to create the same feeling and sense of the story in a different medium, rather than the copy it exactly.

(As an aside, my favourite book-movie translation is High Fidelity. Despite moving the location, some of the music and a few on the characters got merged, it still is the same story as the book. But they did change the most poignant scene in the book in the movie, so they don't get 100%, but that scene might have not as echo'd as much with John Cusack as it did with me, so fair enough).
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2011 at 3:54:34 PM permalink

I thought the movie was a classic, and better than the book.

I don't like Sissy SpacedOut and didn't even make it to the end.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 21st, 2011 at 4:01:31 PM permalink

I don't like Sissy SpacedOut and didn't even make it to the end.

I watched Carrie as a dollar movie in the college theater. It's closest thing I've seen to everyone jumping out of their seat at the ending scene.

Nowadays, it's probably tame compared to the stuff they try to scare and shock you with.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2011 at 4:05:52 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Reading so much, you undoubtedly find reference to his other books, most notably The Dark Tower. I don't even have words to express my journey to finding it, other than it was much like the book itself. Almost like I was meant to read it, but not until I was supposed to. It is undoubtedly, without comparison, the best thing I have ever laid eyes to. I feel it's this time periods "Lord of the Rings", just a sublime example of an epic writing masterpiece. I've read it 3 or 4 times, and have the "book on tape" that we've been listening to at work, and every time I read it it's as good as the first. I like it so much that I am absolutely terrified that Howard is making a movie out of it.

I agree, its King's best work. It took him 12 years to write Gunslinger, and it shows. He had so much to say and he wanted to say it just right. He also wrote most of it before he was heavily addicted to cocaine in the late 70's thru the late 80's. Some of his best stuff was written in the 80's, but the quality was in the early books. Don't worry, Howard has stepped down from the project, they couldn't get the funding. Hearing a kid on the screen say "Go then, there are other worlds than these" would have sounded silly anyway, at least we were spared that.
Face
Administrator
Face
July 21st, 2011 at 4:32:13 PM permalink

I don't mind what they left out of Lord of the Rings, as they were trying to tell the journey of the Ring as best as possible, while Tolkein was trying to tell a history of Middle Earth by way of the journey. I've found films that stay totally faithful to the book lose something... it's more important to create the same feeling and sense of the story in a different medium, rather than the copy it exactly.

Good arguement, cess, I never looked at it that way. Still, Bombadil was an encounter, and one that could have killed the journey right there. Although not as vital as some of the others, I was still miffed I never got to see him. It was still a top notch film, I just wish he was included.

I agree, its King's best work. It took him 12 years to write Gunslinger, and it shows. He had so much to say and he wanted to say it just right. He also wrote most of it before he was heavily addicted to cocaine in the late 70's thru the late 80's. Some of his best stuff was written in the 80's, but the quality was in the early books. Don't worry, Howard has stepped down from the project, they couldn't get the funding.

Bah! Now he's not doing it? Consarn it, I was so excited when I heard it was happening. Granted I feared a let down, but as is well known, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Now I have to find a Sheemie to show me what could have been. Damn you, Howard and your lack of funding!!! /shakes fist
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
July 21st, 2011 at 5:06:05 PM permalink
Does anyone remember when Harold Bloom called out King when King won the Arts and Letters medal in 2003? I thought that made Bloom look stupider moreso than it belittled King. King is a terrific writer; some of his books will rightfully be called classics in the future, I think. Dickens was a popular writer in his time, too.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
PeteM
PeteM
  • Threads: 4
July 21st, 2011 at 6:25:27 PM permalink
I think SK once said that he was the literary equivilant of a Big Mac and fries. They sell lots of them, don't they? Screw Bloom. Anyway, here's my list, purely subjective, of course. Best all round yarns: Stand and Christine. Scariest: Salem's Lot( That one will keep you away from the window on a bleak October night). Novella: Apt Pupil. Short story: Quitters Inc. Obviously Shawshank Redemption is the best Movie Adaptation and SK's best Non-Supernatural story.
"Win with a smile, lose with grace."
Face
Administrator
Face
July 21st, 2011 at 6:51:20 PM permalink
Quote: PeteM

I think SK once said that he was the literary equivilant of a Big Mac and fries. They sell lots of them, don't they? Screw Bloom. Anyway, here's my list, purely subjective, of course. Best all round yarns: Stand and Christine. Scariest: Salem's Lot( That one will keep you away from the window on a bleak October night). Novella: Apt Pupil. Short story: Quitters Inc. Obviously Shawshank Redemption is the best Movie Adaptation and SK's best Non-Supernatural story.

Short story - The Jaunt? Was that the name? About time travel but you had to be asleep otherwise you experienced eternity? The boy who held his breath to avoid the sleep gas and then faked being asleep, coming out white haired and ghosted ("It's forever in there!").....read it 10 years ago and the mental image of that scene is still burned into my brain. That man has a gift.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2011 at 7:43:20 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Dickens was a popular writer in his time, too.

Dickens was da man in his day. His books were released in segments in tabloid like newspapers and you had to subscribe to them. Thats why they were so long and convoluted, the more segments, the more he got paid.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2011 at 7:45:01 PM permalink
How come nobody mentions Insomnia. I really enjoyed that one.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 21st, 2011 at 10:01:35 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Short story - The Jaunt? Was that the name? About time travel but you had to be asleep otherwise you experienced eternity? ...

Yes, it was. If forced, I would say SK's best works are his short stories, and The Jaunt is an illustrated example. Somebody else mentioned Quitters Inc., that was was also among his best.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2011 at 10:17:00 PM permalink

Yes, it was. If forced, I would say SK's best works are his short stories

This is true for many authors. Hemingway is at his best in
his short stories. He said a novel is just a long short story.
He felt the stories were harder to write because of the shorter
length. 95% of my memories of him are from stories like
Cat in the Rain and Big Two Hearted River and A Clean Well
Lighted Place.
thecesspit
thecesspit
July 21st, 2011 at 10:17:45 PM permalink
Quote: PeteM

Dan Brown is Big Mac and Fries.

Stephen King is more like a Keg Steakhouse (or other high street steak house chain)... decent food, found everywhere, doesn't pretend to be fancy but does a throughly good job at what it does, and you can have some great memorable experiences from them on those times everything just falls in to place.

Not sure where I'd put JK Rowling. Chuck-e-cheese seems a bit demeaning...
thecesspit
thecesspit
July 21st, 2011 at 10:20:50 PM permalink

This is true for many authors. Hemingway is at his best in
his short stories. He said a novel is just a long short story.
He felt the stories were harder to write because of the shorter
length. 95% of my memories of him are from stories like
Cat in the Rain and Big Two Hearted River and A Clean Well
Lighted Place.

The short story has be derided by critics, but the sharpness of writing and the ability to say as much as you need to, but no more has honed many writers. I was reading recently (maybe in response to something you posted a while back about Hemingway??) about some writers bemoaning the lack of outlets for short stories, as the printed press withers.

I love good anthologies of short fiction.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2011 at 10:26:22 PM permalink

Not sure where I'd put JK Rowling. Chuck-e-cheese seems a bit demeaning...

I tried reading a couple of the Potter books
and gave up. I hate when authors make up
words on every page. I couldn't get into it,
not my thing. I've seen all the movies and I
couldn't tell you what they were about, they
were that forgettable.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2011 at 10:29:28 PM permalink

I love good anthologies of short fiction.

King got his start in the fantasy and science fiction
pulps. So did most of the SF writers. Hemingway
made his name with In Our Time, a book of short
stories.
zippyboy
zippyboy
July 21st, 2011 at 11:28:21 PM permalink

I tried reading a couple of the Potter books
and gave up. I hate when authors make up
words on every page. I couldn't get into it,
not my thing. I've seen all the movies and I
couldn't tell you what they were about, they
were that forgettable.

Ha! I doubt the Potter books were even meant for someone your age! Of COURSE you couldn't get into it! Kudos for giving it a chance, but don't feel bad. Geez. A nine-year-old doesn't read the Wall Street Journal either.
Face
Administrator
Face
July 22nd, 2011 at 1:33:28 PM permalink

How come nobody mentions Insomnia. I really enjoyed that one.

You know, I tried it. SK said of all his stories, Insomnia tied the most into The Dark Tower. Being such a fanboi of TDT, I read Insomnia immediately after and was somewhat disappointed. To be fair, I think I was looking/hoping it was sort of TDT prequel, which it wasn't and I was therefore let down. Perhaps I should go back and give it a fair chance.

Yes, it was. If forced, I would say SK's best works are his short stories, and The Jaunt is an illustrated example. Somebody else mentioned Quitters Inc., that was was also among his best.

Agreed. His short stories seems to condense his wonderful style into superconcentrate. No fluff, no bother, just wham! here it is, like a quick tryst in a public place versus a long drawn out date night. Good stuff.

No one mentioned The Dark Half. Another stellar book that just places you in the story. The imagery is so descriptive, so intense, I've felt I've actually been to a number of the locations described. Perhaps it's the similarities of his area of Maine and my area of WNY, but there have been times I've driven past somewhere and had that feeling of recognition, a little tickle that something had happened here, and when I try to remember, I realize it was just a ghost memory of the book. The Dark Half does this for me more than any of his others.
  • Jump to: