Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 3rd, 2011 at 8:19:09 PM permalink
Had a thunderstorm last week that brought out the primordial subconcious fear in me. The lightening was almost constant and the thunder CRACKED loudly. Imagine what primitive people must have thought.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
July 7th, 2011 at 11:15:18 AM permalink
They must have thought, DAMN, I sure wish I could take a picture of that. Your picture is terrific! Surely you were using a tripod?
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
July 7th, 2011 at 11:29:06 AM permalink
That's from a uni prof's website. I had assumed that is wasn't EvenBob's picture, just a cool lightning picture to accent his post
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 7th, 2011 at 12:14:07 PM permalink
Its not mine, I'm under the bed in lightening storms.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 7th, 2011 at 12:17:29 PM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

That's from a uni prof's website. I had assumed that is wasn't EvenBob's picture, just a cool lightning picture to accent his post

I certainly saw no uterus in the photo :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 8th, 2011 at 2:43:43 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

(I think this is the way Mike wants us to document improper posts -- I could be wrong.)

What you have done is preserve the offensive material. Others merely flagged the post, which makes it disappear. If you would go back and edit off at least the links you preserved please! I can't speak for the Wizard but it appears that he would just want us to flag the posts. For the most part these people just disappear, no need to bring attention to whatever handle they are using.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 8th, 2011 at 4:42:48 AM permalink
Some of these appear to hang around and are activated when certain key words appear by regular posters, then post something related to that word that try to simulate a response.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
July 8th, 2011 at 6:55:06 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

What you have done is preserve the offensive material. Others merely flagged the post, which makes it disappear. If you would go back and edit off at least the links you preserved please! I can't speak for the Wizard but it appears that he would just want us to flag the posts. For the most part these people just disappear, no need to bring attention to whatever handle they are using.

Once when I previously noted that a flurry of posts was quite offensive (perhaps a different case than spamming), the Wizard advised me to quote the post prior to flagging it. He said that by preserving the evidence in a quote, he has a basis for acting, if such is appropriate, even if the post is deleted by the offender or by flags. Apparently this site does not maintain a record of posts that have been deleted either way, and rapid purging prevents the admins from being able to do something that might have a longer-lasting effect. It seems somewhat like a no-way-to-win situation if those trying to clean up the scenery are impeding those in charge.

I guess I am not really sure what steps are best in this. If the Wizard posts here that he does not want such spam to be quoted/documented, then I will delete my quoting post or others may flag it with my support. Until I know the real preferred action, I cannot offer better suggestions.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 8th, 2011 at 7:22:24 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

I guess I am not really sure what steps are best in this. If the Wizard posts here that he does not want such spam to be quoted/documented, then I will delete my quoting post or others may flag it with my support. Until I know the real preferred action, I cannot offer better suggestions.

I might be wrong about it then. But it seems to me that Spam should just vanish, but maybe personal insult type stuff should be preserved for documentation.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: