thlf
thlf
Joined: Feb 24, 2010
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 267
June 8th, 2011 at 1:15:41 PM permalink
I know someone who say's they have 45 royals so far this year. I am not in the least doubting that. But based on that and not much more can you roughly estimate how much coin in that might have to be.

I realize it is not much info to go on and it would have to be very rough. I do know that only 1 of the royals was on a dollar and none were on nickels. So nearly all quarters. He does play a lot of multi play but has not gotten very many multiple royals.

Just curious.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1429
  • Posts: 24504
June 8th, 2011 at 1:18:19 PM permalink
That would be about 40,000 bets per royal. So on a 25¢ machine: 45*40,000*1.25=$2,250,000.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
thlf
thlf
Joined: Feb 24, 2010
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 267
June 8th, 2011 at 1:22:14 PM permalink
That would be at most also wouldn't you think, since probably many came in at less than 40k apart?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 316
  • Posts: 8871
June 8th, 2011 at 1:53:56 PM permalink
Quote: thlf

That would be at most also wouldn't you think, since probably many came in at less than 40k apart?



no way to know, unless this person also says his luck was fabulous and you want to believe him. The only answer otherwise has to be statistical as the Wiz gave.
The Dice, the cards, they not only have no sense of justice but are actually endowed with a sense of cruel irony. This devolves from the 'nature of random'. Ironically so, don't you see. 
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
June 8th, 2011 at 2:11:00 PM permalink
Quote: thlf

That would be at most also wouldn't you think, since probably many came in at less than 40k apart?

I forget the guys name or his nickname, but it was something about Lion I think. He is very rich but for awhile Caesar's banned him because he hit two Royals on either the same day or atleast the same weekend. Now they knew he was not cheating... heck, its a slot machine not a pair of dice or a blackjack hand. So if a person can get two Royals in the same weekend I sure doubt he did 40,000 hands in one weekend. He would have a very calloused finger tip from hitting the appropriate buttons that much!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
June 8th, 2011 at 2:48:20 PM permalink
What if the "lucky" player was two or more standard deviations from the norm? What would be the minimum expected amount of coin-in to hit that many royals? Also, what if the player was on a fifty or hundred play machine? It could happen much faster, perhaps a weekend.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
PaulEWog
PaulEWog
Joined: Jan 2, 2010
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 110
June 8th, 2011 at 3:57:21 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I forget the guys name or his nickname, but it was something about Lion I think.



Was it Richard "Quiet Lion" Brodie?

As I remember it he talked them into putting in something like a $100 3 coin VP game with a really good pay table and then he cleaned up so they 86'd him.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 7237
June 8th, 2011 at 4:11:10 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

no way to know, unless this person also says his luck was fabulous and you want to believe him. The only answer otherwise has to be statistical as the Wiz gave.



On a single line machine, the wiz's answer would take about 8000 hours to play through. Over the course of an entire year, that'd leave about 2 hours/day for non-VP activities. I hope thlf's friend is playing 50 or 100 line...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
gofaster87
gofaster87
Joined: Mar 19, 2011
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 445
June 8th, 2011 at 4:42:28 PM permalink
.....
dm
dm
Joined: Apr 29, 2010
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 699
June 10th, 2011 at 1:55:13 PM permalink
Quote: thlf

I know someone who say's they have 45 royals so far this year. I am not in the least doubting that. But based on that and not much more can you roughly estimate how much coin in that might have to be.

I realize it is not much info to go on and it would have to be very rough. I do know that only 1 of the royals was on a dollar and none were on nickels. So nearly all quarters. He does play a lot of multi play but has not gotten very many multiple royals.

Just curious.





Well, 45 royals on 100 play would round to ZERO royals on single line. 45 single line royals would be impressive. 45 nickle royals on 100 play would not be. So, I don't know if I am impressed or not.

  • Jump to: