Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
May 9th, 2011 at 5:20:42 PM permalink
I was cleaning out the basement today and found a 40 year old bottle of Brut. I knew better than to put any on, so I just sprayed it in the air and whiffed. Gag, I've always hated the stuff. But I got some on me anyway, and its following me around. All I can think about is the 60's now. Sigh..

Just for fun, I Googled Brut. It came out in 1964 and was the favorite of Elvis till he died. Can you imagine Elvis in the jumpsuit in Vegas, reeking of Brut?? It has a smell like bad bug spray, or a full cat box. It was also extremely cheap, and still is. You can get a 5oz bottle for 5 bucks. Elvis could afford any cologne he wanted, can you say hillbilly to the core? Brut was so strong, they came out with Brut 33 in '69, which was watered down to 1/3 of the original strength. It was still over powering.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 9th, 2011 at 5:29:49 PM permalink
I never knew that was why it was called Brut 33.

It was always viewed as a cheap, tacky scent in the UK in the 80's that school boys would use (or at least at my school Brut was the cheap aftershave of choice for boys heading to the School Disco) but had a minor revival in fortunes when Paul Gascoigne was the front person for it.

It's similar to how Old Spice has re-invented it's image thanks to Isiah Mustafa.

I guess it still sells. Wouldn't touch it myself for much the reasons you suggest (it stinks to high heaven and back again).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
May 9th, 2011 at 5:47:23 PM permalink
Sounds like it's time for a tread; "What cologne do you wear?" Hopefully Jerry will, in some form, weigh in also.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 9th, 2011 at 6:24:18 PM permalink
Frank Sinatra's fave was Aqua Lavenda Puig. It came out in 1940 and is still available. Its a very nice lavender, not overpowering at all. I bought some a few years ago and really like it.

Aqua Lavenda Puig

I know that Dean Martin and Cary Grant both wore Woodhue Cologne. Thats been discontinued long ago, but old bottles still pop up on Ebay.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
May 9th, 2011 at 6:46:11 PM permalink
Nice. I hate it when a company discontinues a scent that you have become attached to. I became enamored with Insense Ultramarine by Givenchy years ago, and now it is nigh-impossible to find. (I have my sources, but it is getting harder, and I just ran out again :( )
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 9th, 2011 at 7:11:20 PM permalink
OMG, I just read that Elvis wore Hai Karate a lot too. Nasty nasty stuff, you could practically buy it by the half gallon and take a bath in it before you went out. It was popular with guys in tight pants and shirts open to their navel and big gold chains.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 9th, 2011 at 7:17:54 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Nice. I hate it when a company discontinues a scent that you have become attached to. I became enamored with Insense Ultramarine by Givenchy years ago, and now it is nigh-impossible to find. (I have my sources, but it is getting harder, and I just ran out again :( )

Good grief! Why would you throw money away buying designer cologne?

I don't know if you have generic fragrance stores in the US. In Mexico there's at least one in every mall, and many supermarkets have one, too. You can get pretty much anything, for a very low price. Try one, chances are they have the scent you want. You can refill the expensive brand name bottle if you want.

Fragrances are very cheap to make. Designer brands are expensive due to the packaging and the name.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 9th, 2011 at 7:24:50 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

OMG, I just read that Elvis wore Hai Karate a lot too. Nasty nasty stuff, you could practically buy it by the half gallon and take a bath in it before you went out. It was popular with guys in tight pants and shirts open to their navel and big gold chains.

That was the other classically bad scent. I should of mentioned it as well. I've never been one for cologne anyways.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 9th, 2011 at 7:39:56 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

You can get pretty much anything, for a very low price.

You get what you pay for. The cheap ones are easy to reproduce, the expensive ones are not. Knock-off colognes are made with cheap materials and often irritate the skin. They scent doesn't last as long, and its just not the same as the real thing.
  • Jump to: