odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 314
January 12th, 2011 at 2:54:44 AM permalink
regarding chess dot com, I got disappointed with them and cancelled membership. Mostly this was over the fact they set up payments to be automatically renewing every year without telling me. Once I figured that out, they were on the chopping block, but I was also disappointed that the computer would just abandon the games, and I wanted to warn anyone wanting to use them I don't know what would happen if you tried to play another person. As far as I could tell, it was unrelated to connection quality.

another bad part: very inventive training drills made me want to join, but these were undeveloped for the most part.

good part: Playing against the computer was fascinating in that it seemed to vary as an opponent. You could pick "easy" and it would play at a medium level or so most of the game, it seemed to me. Even selecting "silly" this would happen. You didnt want to get behind at any level. Note, though, you can play the computer without joining.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
January 12th, 2011 at 4:57:26 AM permalink
You can play live games by registering for free. There are little ads asking you to upgrade, but it's a pretty comprehensive site, even for the free player.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
ElectricDreams
ElectricDreams
  • Threads: 4
January 12th, 2011 at 8:20:06 AM permalink
So I meant to back out of this tournament, partially because I'm awful at chess, but also because my personal life is pretty busy right now. Is it too much to remove me? I might be able to find time to play if it's easier to keep me in, but I probably wouldn't be able to play until after next week.

Yeah, my apologies about not being more clear.
gog
gog
  • Threads: 5
January 12th, 2011 at 8:32:35 AM permalink
I used to run swiss system tournaments at school. Some of the software offer a free month trial, I can look into it if that's what we're going with.

If pairing is an issue then why dont everyone just post their current or best fide rating, which we can use to seed? Personally I haven't played a rated game before, and am just here to beef up the roster
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 12th, 2011 at 9:00:49 AM permalink
Quote: gog

Personally I haven't played a rated game before, and am just here to beef up the roster

Ditto. and I don't think I've played at all in about 10 years...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
minnesotajoe
minnesotajoe
  • Threads: 44
January 12th, 2011 at 12:03:39 PM permalink
ElectricDreams messages that he is too busy for tournament.. so NightStalker will talk his place.

7-8-4
6-9-2
3-12-10
1-5-11

Group A

4. rdw4potus
7. mkl654321
8. ElectricDreams----->> now NightStalker

Group B

2. Wizard
6. AZDuffman
9. odiousgambit

Group C

3. SOOPOO
10. petro
12. gog

Group D

1. minnesotajoe
5. TheNightfly
11. Nareed
--------------------
After Group Play is finished these will be the tournament seedings:

1. A1 vs D2
2. B1 v C2
3. C1 v A2
4. D1 v B2

5. Winner of 1 v Winner of 2
6. Winner of 3 v Winner of 4

7. Winner of 5 v Winner of 6 in Best of Three for WoV Chess Tournament Championship
NightStalker
NightStalker
  • Threads: 3
January 12th, 2011 at 12:55:17 PM permalink
Allright, game on.. rdw/mkl suggested timing?
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
January 12th, 2011 at 3:16:10 PM permalink
What do you do if there is a draw in the later rounds? Do they play over and over until there is a loss?

What if all the games in a group are a draw?

Why do you have 1-game matches in rounds after the group-rounds, I mean, having white is a 50-FIDE point advantage, or more.

Why do you have, under #7, a best of 3? Someone will get two whites.

So many issues ... a SS would have been so much easier and so much fairer ...
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 314
January 13th, 2011 at 4:12:55 AM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

So many issues ...

two things are jumping out at me here, for one I think the players are not taking the whole tournament so seriously as to worry about fairness. Most of us have actually said we are doing it for a lark and aren't good enough to expect to beat anybody worth a shit.

for another, why all this carping from folks who aren't playing?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
January 13th, 2011 at 7:32:20 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

why all this carping from folks who aren't playing?

Well, I was quite an avid, addicted and obsessed tournament and postal player in my day -- I was a certified TD and ran tournaments, I ran a club, I coached a 12 year old to a tie for first in his age group in the junior nationals, and I have a hard time not playing, so ... it's just a way to be involved while sticking to my promise to myself to never ever play a human again ... most days I still play over an hour a day against online computer opponents, and have played or studied chess almost every day for the last 28 years ... my favorite game is 1-2 blitz ...

I'll butt out ... I've obviously got a problem ...

Yikes!!!

--Dorothy
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"

• Jump to: