Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 244
August 21st, 2024 at 9:02:02 AM permalink
I've had a life-long love affair with dividend stocks, starting when I used my First Communion money to buy Xerox and Sears Roebuck shares.
Every few months, I'd get a check; as a kid, it was a thrill. It might not have been for much, but as a nine-year-old, I was the only one of my friends with a source of income. I discovered that an RC Cola bought with my money tasted better than one my Mom bought me. In college, I learned I could reinvest the checks for more shares, and afterward, I knew I could buy even more shares from the companies through their DRIP program. When brokers charged $50 a trade, Dividend Reinvestment Plans allowed you to buy without extra charges.
Owning stocks at an early age helped me study them and understand why some companies pay generous dividends of as much as ten percent while others pay only one or two percent. Sometime in my thirties, I began collecting half my dividends and reinvesting the rest.

When I left NY, I stopped cashing dividends and reinvested 100%. I'd planned on waiting until I was 65 to begin tapping the income, but then I held off for an extra six months. Last month, I decided to start collecting them. I have four ETFs that pay monthly dividends, while the others pay quarterly. This month, two of my quarterlies and my monthlies will be paid. I recently bought into an AI-driven fund currently paying 20% annually, with monthly payouts.
I've always believed the stock market was the best and easiest way to turn your money into more. you buy a quality stock and just sit back and get paid while the stock grows in value.
Why keep playing when I've already won? I've made decent money all my life, but it often involved working fifty-plus hours a week.
Now I can live the life of a rock star, getting money for nothing....
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 243
August 21st, 2024 at 12:34:29 PM permalink
I started doing this with utilities, VPU. Only pays about 3% but the stock itself is up like 50% since I bought it. Got hammered during the virus should have bought more but was busy doubling my money in something else. It is at a near all time high right now, the pattern is it will go up hit highs then pull back 10-20 points. Lather, rinse, repeat.

About as unsexy as it gets, but up is up.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 64
Thanked by
odiousgambit
August 21st, 2024 at 1:12:28 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I recently bought into an AI-driven fund currently paying 20% annually, with monthly payouts.link to original post

Now that's something that makes me perturbed. It sounds too good to be true.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
billryan
billryan
August 21st, 2024 at 2:01:32 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

I recently bought into an AI-driven fund currently paying 20% annually, with monthly payouts.link to original post

Now that's something that makes me perturbed. It sounds too good to be true.
link to original post

It's not a set-it-and-forget-it investment. This fund holds only 15 stocks and does cover calling. It's very aggressive but it is a part of
my portfolio. For every dollar I put in ETFs like this, I put a dollar into a CD or T-bill,
My unconventional thinking- If I put 10% of my stock portfolio into this and I put 10% into CDs I draw the interest out monthly, it covers my nut with a healthy margin, and the other 80% keeps growing untapped. If it somehow loses 50% of its value over five years, the rest of the portfolio will almost certainly make up for the losses. I think the stock will stay fairly flat and the dividend will decline to half that in two years, but I'm not in it for the long run. It's $50 a share and last month paid out $1.09 . It's approaching two years of monthly dividends, so it has some track record.
To be very clear- what I'm doing might work in my position and at my age, and may be very inappropriate for people starting out.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
August 21st, 2024 at 2:02:12 PM permalink
Deleted duplicate post
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 653
August 21st, 2024 at 6:42:34 PM permalink
I have 6 figures in a vanguard dividend ETF in 401k or IRA.
No clue what's the name nor how it's doing.

I need to rebalance.
Haven't rebalanced since pre-covid. I am light on bonds.
Lucky we're in a bull market.
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
billryan
billryan
August 22nd, 2024 at 8:11:56 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

I have 6 figures in a vanguard dividend ETF in 401k or IRA.
No clue what's the name nor how it's doing.

I need to rebalance.
Haven't rebalanced since pre-covid. I am light on bonds.
Lucky we're in a bull market.
link to original post

We are in the permanent bull run era: Blue skies ahead, and there is a healthy wind at our backs.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 238
August 26th, 2024 at 6:57:56 AM permalink

We are in the permanent bull run era: Blue skies ahead

a ridiculous and misleading post
neither you nor anyone else can predict the near term direction of the markets
there are many different events that could happen in our world that could shock the markets
not saying they will happen but they are possible - nobody can say for sure that they won't happen

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Aug 26, 2024
the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
billryan
billryan
August 26th, 2024 at 7:22:33 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

a ridiculous and misleading post
neither you nor anyone else can predict the short term direction of the markets
there are many different events that could happen in our world that could shock the markets
not saying they will happen but they are possible - nobody can say for sure that they won't happen

link to original post

That is your opinion. Mine is that the algorithms that run the market no longer need to be affected by outside forces and will constantly readjust themselves upward. This month's mini-crash was a perfect example. While people were panicking, the algorithm tapped the brakes, and within hours, things were moving back up. The leading candidate for leader of the free world was almost killed. How did the market react? Russia is at war. How did the market react?
If some banks are too big to fail, do you think the stock market would be allowed to fail??
This isn't your granddaddy's stock market. Treat it like it still is at your peril.
I can't predict the short-term market, nor do I try. However, I know where the long-term market is headed, and that's all that matters.
I can't tell you if the next 1000 point swing will be up or down, but I can guarantee you which way the next 100% swing will be.
Same as it ever was.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 26th, 2024 at 7:50:15 AM permalink

I can't predict the short-term market, nor do I try.

fair enough
your post, your wording - led me to believe you were trying just that
but you indicate you weren't - my bad - I guess

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
billryan
billryan
August 26th, 2024 at 7:57:12 AM permalink

I can't predict the short-term market, nor do I try.

fair enough
your post, your wording - led me to believe you were trying just that
but you indicate you weren't - my bad - I guess

link to original post

Saul Goodman!
billryan
billryan
August 26th, 2024 at 9:29:11 AM permalink
FEPI seems to be the flavor of the month. It's a $50 stock that pays out over a dollar monthly in dividends, representing a yearly return of about 20%. It's not the most efficient of ETFs, but 20% dividends can hide a lot of warts.
billryan
billryan
August 26th, 2024 at 9:33:46 AM permalink
FEPI seems to be the flavor of the month. It's a $50 stock that pays out over a dollar monthly in dividends, representing a yearly return of about 20%. It's not the most efficient of ETFs, but 20% dividends can hide a lot of warts.

Some buy stocks for growth, and some buy when they see value. At this stage, I buy stocks for income. Cutting expenses and raising income makes for a sweet retirement.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
September 1st, 2024 at 4:26:38 PM permalink
Now that no-fee trades have been around for at least a decade, any rational shareholder should be completely indifferent to dividends. If a company doesn't pay dividends on their corporate profits, that means the money is being used in a way ownership thinks will increase the value of the company. Any shareholder that wants to earn income off their investment can simply sell however many shares they want to end up in exactly the same place as if did pay a dividend. Some people would say it's a good thing that so many participants in financial markets are not ration.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Calder
September 1st, 2024 at 5:52:48 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

Now that no-fee trades have been around for at least a decade, any rational shareholder should be completely indifferent to dividends. If a company doesn't pay dividends on their corporate profits, that means the money is being used in a way ownership thinks will increase the value of the company. Any shareholder that wants to earn income off their investment can simply sell however many shares they want to end up in exactly the same place as if did pay a dividend. Some people would say it's a good thing that so many participants in financial markets are not ration.
link to original post

Have you considered that different sorts of income are taxed differently? For many people on social security, dividends can be tax-free, while selling shares rarely is.
I don't want to be bothered with the daily market or timing when to sell a few shares for next month's rent. I've got it set up so I get three monthly deposits into my checking account, and I'm never more than a week or two from my next "paycheck." The company tends to grow, and so do the dividends. I don't care if the stock goes up or down if it stays strong and continues its dividend. I don't need growth, I need income. My portfolio used to be mostly growth stocks, but I got lucky with a few other investments, so now I have figured out my needs and put enough into high-dividend stocks that I'm covered.
Could I do better by buying different stocks and selling some each month? Probably, but that would require a lot more involvement.
On a separate note, many dividends are reinvested through DRIP programs, which are supposed to increase the bond between the investor and the company. Companies reward shareholders for their faith in them, and the shareholders invest more in the company
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
September 2nd, 2024 at 1:29:15 AM permalink

Some buy stocks for growth, and some buy when they see value. At this stage, I buy stocks for income. Cutting expenses and raising income makes for a sweet retirement.
link to original post

Looked up FEPI and here's some info,

The top 5 holdings in the portfolio of REX FANG & Innovation Equity Premium Income ETF. [FEPI]
Name......................................Weight
Salesforce Inc ORD...............7.29%
Tesla Inc ORD.........................6.98%
Palo Alto Networks Inc ORD 6.97%
Adobe Inc ORD.......................6.93%
Amazon.com Inc ORD............6.91%

you can see that adds up quickly to about 35% .... this is unusually heavy for top 5
electronic tech generally is 46% approx. weight
make your own assessment as to risk. It's stayed pretty flat in valuation, down 0.58% since inception in late 2023

It's not clear to me how it's paying such good dividends, which is shown to be about 22% annually

I don't know what ORD means. Somewhere in the fine print of my source it may say not to share this, so don't get used to it
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
billryan
billryan
September 2nd, 2024 at 4:57:29 AM permalink
ORD stock is the regular shares sold to the public with voting rights. FEPI has fine-tuned the strategy used by the very successful JP Morgan-covered call option funds. They made some big promises a year ago and have so far followed through. Is it riskier than buying a CD? Hell ya. My rule of them is no one investment can be over 8% of my total portfolio, and only a few exceed 5%.
If you put $50,000 into a 4% CD and 50,000 into FEPI, you now have 100K in a relatively moderate blend that returns north of 10%.
Last edited by: billryan on Sep 2, 2024
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 32
September 2nd, 2024 at 9:37:39 AM permalink
XDTE It has a 35% dividend that pays dividends every week. The trick is to buy on a dip, keep it for a few months, then sell and buy more on the next dip. Rinse and Repeat. They also have QDTE and it works the same.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
billryan
billryan
September 2nd, 2024 at 10:38:53 AM permalink
Ten years ago, I was thrilled when a strong company offered a four percent dividend. Then, ETFs started raising the bar. I remember when JEPI and JEPQ were darlings with 9% outflows. The market evolves, and right now, A.I. is rewriting the playbooks.
I don't pretend to understand it. I'm just milking it for all I can.
Know the risks and know your tolerance before investing in something like that.
100xOdds
100xOdds
September 2nd, 2024 at 2:49:03 PM permalink
switched my vanguard dividend etf for their admiral shares total bond fund.
i'm now close enough to 60% stock, 40% bonds that i probably don't need to re-balance till i collect social security.
(at which point will switch to 40% stock, 60% bonds)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
September 2nd, 2024 at 4:35:37 PM permalink

switched my vanguard dividend etf for their admiral shares total bond fund.
i'm now close enough to 60% stock, 40% bonds that i probably don't need to re-balance till i collect social security.
(at which point will switch to 40% stock, 60% bonds)
link to original post

I don’t know your age, family status, job and salary, savings total, etc…. so can’t comment on you specifically. But I do have this advice …..
I count my pension and (soon) social security like they are bonds. Here’s how I figure it…. Let’s say I make $100k a year from pension + social security. And interest rates would allow me a safe 5%. So I count my pension + social security as equivalent to $2 million in bonds. So if I have $1 million in real bonds, and $3 million in stocks, I think of my portfolio as 50-50, not 25-75.
I like the concept.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
Thanked by
RogerKint
September 3rd, 2024 at 5:29:20 AM permalink

link to original post

Not so much.

The first part is taxes. Dividends are double taxed, at the corporate level then you pay tax again when you get your own income that was taxed at the corporate level. Average Joe either is unaware of this or says "so what?" Institutions, OTOH, do care. Or large shareholder founders. Why did MSFT not pay anything for years? Because Bill Gates after paying 35% tax at the corporate level would pay another 35% at the personal level. This does not even include state and local taxes. Better to hoard the cash and hope for better tax law later.

To say "any shareholder that wants income can sell their shares" is kind of silly. Kind of like saying you own a small restaurant and if you want to take profit out you can just sell a minority interest. People buy income stocks for INCOME. You try to live off that income, without touching the investment. That is real living!

From the corporate side, a dividend is another thing you have to pay, or else. Slow quarter? Where's my dividend?! You had a fire? Where's my dividend? World War III broke out in the Middle East? Where's my dividend??!! They declare no dividend? Stock will tank. Management will get replaced. So you tell the public you are sitting on the money for building the business.

Of course, sometimes you get way more money than you can effectively use. This leads to waste, a couple examples being lavish management waste at RJR-Nabisco in the 80s or Chrysler buying Lamborghini in the same period. Both companies eventually had their own disasters.

The best thing is a modest dividend for companies with predictable earnings along with companies buying back their own shares. The later has a bad reputation though I cannot see why. But either is a good thing.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 3rd, 2024 at 5:49:23 AM permalink

I agree 100% with Tom

the only concerns a person should have in choosing an investment is the estimated total return and that the level of risk of the investment is acceptable to the investor

assuming that the level of risk is the same why would anyone choose a dividend paying stock or fund over one that pays no dividends or smaller dividends if it is likely to have a lesser total return_________?

answer - there is no good reason to do this - anyone can simply sell whatever amount they want at a zero or very low cost at whatever time they want to accomplish the same thing as a stock or fund paying more dividends - which is to move the funds somewhere else for some reason whatever it may be

AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
September 3rd, 2024 at 7:21:01 AM permalink

assuming that the level of risk is the same why would anyone choose a dividend paying stock or fund over one that pays no dividends or smaller dividends if it is likely to have a lesser total return_________?

Because their concern is a more steady total return. Because they do not want to sell off their stock, they want something that pays regular without touching the principal.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 3rd, 2024 at 7:51:50 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Because their concern is a more steady total return. Because they do not want to sell off their stock, they want something that pays regular without touching the principal.
link to original post

I don't agree at all

the principal of someone who owns stock that pays a high dividend is going to increase or decrease greatly depending on the performance of the stock

and of course there is this - from the link:

"After the ex-dividend date, the share price of a stock usually drops by the amount of the dividend."

they use the word "usually" because due to the normal price fluctuation of the stock this may not be obvious

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/091015/how-dividends-affect-stock-prices.asp

AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
Thanked by
Calder
September 3rd, 2024 at 8:03:43 AM permalink

link to original post

I don't agree at all

the principal of someone who owns stock that pays a high dividend is going to increase or decrease greatly depending on the performance of the stock

and of course there is this - from the link:

"After the ex-dividend date, the share price of a stock usually drops by the amount of the dividend."

they use the word "usually" because due to the normal price fluctuation of the stock this may not be obvious

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/091015/how-dividends-affect-stock-prices.asp

link to original post

You do not understand investing for income.

First, your way, you sell off part of your investment each month. Lets say you need $5 per year. You buy 100 shares of stock at $1 per share. At the end of the year you have to sell 5 shares to get your $5. Dividend you still have the 100 shares. Next time you have to sell another 5 shares. After 20 periods you have sold off your investment. If there was a dividend you would still have that $5 coming in.

Yes, the share price should be growing. But it may not be. If you want your investment to just grow you can reinvest the dividends, easy to do. I am in a utility fund for years now. I have 10% more shares AND the price is up about 60% over that time. Best of both worlds.

Dividends have gotten less a thing after the 70s as people think GROWTH GROWTH GROWTH. That's nice when you have time, but when you need steady income stream it does not work as well.

Now if we stopped taxing dividends we would really have something, namely more stocks paying them.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 3rd, 2024 at 8:37:33 AM permalink
and then there is this to consider - from the link:

" A company can decrease, increase, or eliminate all dividend payments at any time.

A company may cut or eliminate dividends when the economy is experiencing a downturn. Suppose a dividend-paying company is not earning enough; it may look to decrease or eliminate dividends because of the fall in sales and revenues. For example, if Company HIJ experiences a fall in profits due to a recession the next year, it may look to cut a portion of its dividends to reduce costs.

Another example would be if a company is paying too much in dividends. A company can gauge whether it is paying too much of its earnings to shareholders by using the payout ratio. For example, suppose company HIJ has a DPS of 50 cents per share and its earnings per share (EPS) is 45 cents per share. The payout ratio is 1.11% = (50/45); this figure shows that HIJ is paying out more to its shareholders than the amount it is earning. The company will look to cut or eliminate dividends because it should not be paying out more than it is earning."

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/091015/how-dividends-affect-stock-prices.asp#:~:text=For%20example%2C%20company%20HIJ%20has,dividend%20payments%20at%20any%20time.

billryan
billryan
September 3rd, 2024 at 8:58:11 AM permalink

I agree 100% with Tom

the only concerns a person should have in choosing an investment is the estimated total return and that the level of risk of the investment is acceptable to the investor

answer - there is no good reason to do this - anyone can simply sell whatever amount they want at a zero or very low cost at whatever time they want to accomplish the same thing as a stock or fund paying more dividends - which is to move the funds somewhere else for some reason whatever it may be

link to original post

Selling stock monthly for income means trying to time when to sell; it involves taxes and lowers the next month's income.
Collecting dividends is like collecting a paycheck.
If you buy an annuity for $100,000, you get about $730 a month income, but your $100,000 is gone.
$100,000 in JP Morgans ETFs gives you $850 a month income and you have access to the money.
Buying $100,000 worth of ZZZZZ and selling $800 worth every month doesn't make sense to me, but there is no one best way for everyone.

I don't need the stock to go up; it just needs to keep doing what it is doing and give the investors what they signed on for.
If you don't need the monthly income, avoid them. If you think selling stock every month works better, go for it. Last year, my income portfolio was paying under four percent and is now paying almost ten, more than doubling my monthly income without trying to time when to sell my monthly shares.
Another way of looking at it is I used to need twenty percent of my portfolio to cover my monthly nut, now I can do it with ten. What's not to love?
billryan
billryan
September 3rd, 2024 at 9:09:54 AM permalink

and then there is this to consider - from the link:

" A company can decrease, increase, or eliminate all dividend payments at any time.

A company may cut or eliminate dividends when the economy is experiencing a downturn. Suppose a dividend-paying company is not earning enough; it may look to decrease or eliminate dividends because of the fall in sales and revenues. For example, if Company HIJ experiences a fall in profits due to a recession the next year, it may look to cut a portion of its dividends to reduce costs.

Another example would be if a company is paying too much in dividends. A company can gauge whether it is paying too much of its earnings to shareholders by using the payout ratio. For example, suppose company HIJ has a DPS of 50 cents per share and its earnings per share (EPS) is 45 cents per share. The payout ratio is 1.11% = (50/45); this figure shows that HIJ is paying out more to its shareholders than the amount it is earning. The company will look to cut or eliminate dividends because it should not be paying out more than it is earning."

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/091015/how-dividends-affect-stock-prices.asp#:~:text=For%20example%2C%20company%20HIJ%20has,dividend%20payments%20at%20any%20time.

link to original post

I have no long-term contract with the stocks. If they cut the dividend, they know they risk losing investors. Dividends aren't guaranteed, but quality companies rarely cut or even reduce them. JEPQ paid out 56 cents a share this month, up from 48 cents last month but down from .61 cents ten months ago. I was expecting less, so it was a nice surprise. Another ETF went from .33 to .28 to .41 in the last few months so I work on a base.
TomG
TomG
September 3rd, 2024 at 9:19:57 AM permalink

First, your way, you sell off part of your investment each month. Lets say you need $5 per year. You buy 100 shares of stock at $1 per share. At the end of the year you have to sell 5 shares to get your $5. Dividend you still have the 100 shares. Next time you have to sell another 5 shares. After 20 periods you have sold off your investment. If there was a dividend you would still have that $5 coming in.

Thank you for providing a perfect example of an irrational investment: buying shares of stock that you are certain have no chance of increasing in value.

If I instead buy 100 shares of stock at $1 per share that increase in value, I have to sell fewer than five shares to get my needed $5. If it goes up 5% or more every year, after 20 periods my shares are worth more than I paid and I got my $5 per year. It works very well as a steady income stream

Yes, the share price should be growing. But it may not be.

Which is exactly the same as dividends. They *should* be growing. But they may not be. Thinking risk only applies to share price, but not dividend payouts is irrational.

If you want your investment to just grow you can reinvest the dividends, easy to do.

Exactly. Dividends can be reinvested to grow the investment, just as shares can be sold for income. Avoiding one of those, because you think only the other one is easy is irrational.

I am in a utility fund for years now. I have 10% more shares AND the price is up about 60% over that time. Best of both worlds.

To not consider that a one world total return of 76% is irrational. Avoiding an alternative investment with a higher return simply because it didn't pay dividends leaves the investor worse off.
TomG
TomG
September 3rd, 2024 at 9:32:04 AM permalink

Selling stock monthly for income means trying to time when to sell

No it doesn't it. It means selling whenever I want income, if anything that gives me more flexibility than having to wait until the dividend date.

it involves taxes and lowers the next month's income.

For most people the taxes from dividends are the same as selling shares of a stock. For those with a different tax situation, then it might make sense to favor one over the other.

Collecting dividends is like collecting a paycheck.
If you buy an annuity for $100,000, you get about $730 a month income, but your $100,000 is gone.
$100,000 in JP Morgans ETFs gives you $850 a month income and you have access to the money.
Buying $100,000 worth of ZZZZZ and selling $800 worth every month doesn't make sense to me, but there is no one best way for everyone.

If the share price of quad Z goes up by more than the dividend + increase in share price of the ETF, it will mean a bigger paycheck for you next year if you want it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
September 3rd, 2024 at 9:36:04 AM permalink

Thank you for providing a perfect example of an irrational investment: buying shares of stock that you are certain have no chance of increasing in value.

No. thank me for using a simple example. This is an informal forum, not Mark Baum's hedge fund.

Quote:

If I instead buy 100 shares of stock at $1 per share that increase in value, I have to sell fewer than five shares to get my needed $5. If it goes up 5% or more every year, after 20 periods my shares are worth more than I paid and I got my $5 per year. It works very well as a steady income stream

And if it goes down the more shares you have to sell. And you still eventually sell off all of your shares. But if you get a stock with a great dividend history even if the stock is down you still get your income.

What you are talking about is swing trading, not income investing.
TomG
TomG
September 3rd, 2024 at 9:46:51 AM permalink

And if it goes down the more shares you have to sell. And you still eventually sell off all of your shares. But if you get a stock with a great dividend history even if the stock is down you still get your income.

Which is why putting 100% of assets into a single investment is also irrational. If needed income is 5% of my investments, I would have no problem earning that much with virtually no risk of ruin while being completely indifferent to dividends.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
September 3rd, 2024 at 10:08:08 AM permalink

Which is why putting 100% of assets into a single investment is also irrational. If needed income is 5% of my investments, I would have no problem earning that much with virtually no risk of ruin while being completely indifferent to dividends.
link to original post

Who suggested putting 100% of your investments into a single investment?
TomG
TomG
September 3rd, 2024 at 10:26:54 AM permalink
If it isn't 100% of assets, then your hypothetical about needing to sell shares is meaningless. In that scenario, I need $5 of income. But I can get that through many other means. I can sell them for income, but I don't have to sell these shares as you originally said.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
September 3rd, 2024 at 10:30:26 AM permalink

If it isn't 100% of assets, then your hypothetical about needing to sell shares is meaningless. In that scenario, I need $5 of income. But I can get that through many other means. I can sell them for income, but I don't have to sell these shares as you originally said.
link to original post

It is not meaningless at all. You have to sell that 5% whether it is one of many stocks or all of your investment. You still have to sell off your principal.

Bottom line is selling shares off each year is not income investing. Those who say it is the same do not understand income investing.
TomG
TomG
September 3rd, 2024 at 10:42:10 AM permalink
If I bought shares across the entire financial markets and spent 20 years selling off whatever I needed to equal 5% of original principal, I would be better off than someone who bought shares that pay 5% dividends but didn't increase in value. Anyone who avoided investment options because they didn't pay dividends acted irrationally and is worse off because of it.
100xOdds
100xOdds
September 3rd, 2024 at 10:46:46 AM permalink
tiktok video:
qqqi = 14% dividends and tries to track nasdaq 100
spyi = 12% dividends and tried to track the s&p 500

so you basically get the nasdaq/sp500 returns plus at least 12% dividends on top of that.

free lunch?
or is there a major downside?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
September 3rd, 2024 at 11:01:35 AM permalink

tiktok video:

so you basically get the nasdaq/sp500 returns plus at least 12% dividends on top of that.

free lunch?
link to original post

Yes, there is a downside. QQQI is like QYLD, buys stocks then writes calls against them. You risk "slippage" when socks go down and you have to write next month's call at a lower level. The dividends they pay are the theta decay they are getting from writing covered calls.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
September 3rd, 2024 at 11:03:59 AM permalink

If I bought shares across the entire financial markets and spent 20 years selling off whatever I needed to equal 5% of original principal, I would be better off than someone who bought shares that pay 5% dividends but didn't increase in value. Anyone who avoided investment options because they didn't pay dividends acted irrationally and is worse off because of it.
link to original post

For the fifth or more time, that depends on your investment objective. Markets can and do have down times. If you have to sell low over several years you are boned here.
TomG
TomG
September 3rd, 2024 at 11:04:57 AM permalink
quick google search:
QQQI started 2 Feb 2024: -0.88% all time
Nasdaq 100 since then: +7.46%

SPYI started 2 Sep 2022: +3.35 all time
S&P 500 in that time: +29.22%
TomG
TomG
September 3rd, 2024 at 11:10:35 AM permalink

For the fifth or more time, that depends on your investment objective. Markets can and do have down times. If you have to sell low over several years you are boned here.

Every investor has different objectives. As I stated originally, many investors are perfectly fine with irrational objectives, such as only focusing about the chance that market price going down and not dividend payouts going down; or maximizing dividend payouts at the expense of other returns. The very title of this thread is about the emotional appeal of dividends.
billryan
billryan
September 3rd, 2024 at 11:50:16 AM permalink

link to original post

Dividend income is not treated the same as income from selling stock.

You are welcome to your opinions, and I hope that works out for you. I'll be waiting for you in the end zone.
billryan
billryan
September 3rd, 2024 at 12:03:51 PM permalink
Which stocks would you buy now so they produce a steady ten percent income stream over the next year? I can confidently predict my minimum income for that period with 95%+ confidence. Set it and forget it.
How would you do it?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
September 3rd, 2024 at 12:10:46 PM permalink

Which stocks would you buy now so they produce a steady ten percent income stream over the next year? I can confidently predict my minimum income for that period with 95%+ confidence. Set it and forget it.
How would you do it?
link to original post

Utility index funds. To get the 10% you need to reinvest and even then more like 6-8%. I asked about their utility fund for my IRA and the guy looks it up. Guy says, "WOW, why haven't we discussed this in our pre-shift meetings?"

I am in VPU and up about 70% over 8 or 9 years or so.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 3rd, 2024 at 12:31:50 PM permalink

How would you do it?

I'll be waiting for you in the end zone

I'm already in the end zone waiting for you - I'm a little older than you but not that much

don't need to make another dime of income - but I will continue investing to leave to charity when I pass

how did I get there_______?- well, you can be 100% sure it wasn't because I focused on dividends

billryan
billryan
September 3rd, 2024 at 2:28:01 PM permalink
I'm don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't need a dime of income. I'm not sure how that works, but you seem to be enjoying it.

I didn't get here by focusing on dividend stocks, but I did get here by paying attention to trends and trying to capture some of the momentum. Owning ETFs like JEPI isn't about owning the stocks within it. It's like owning a sportsbook. They book future bets on the stocks and collect the vig. The stocks themselves are not relevant. If they go uo, we make money; if they go down, we make money; if they stay flat we can make a lot of money.
billryan
billryan
September 5th, 2024 at 8:58:43 AM permalink

quick google search:

link to original post

With $100 invested in SPYi, you'd have received thirty percent of your initial investment back in cash, $30, and $103 in stock.
With $100 invested in an S&P fund, you'd have $129 in stock.
Which would you prefer?
billryan
billryan
September 5th, 2024 at 9:00:40 AM permalink

tiktok video:

free lunch?
link to original post

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 5th, 2024 at 10:45:53 AM permalink

quick google search:

link to original post

With $100 invested in SPYi, you'd have received thirty percent of your initial investment back in cash, $30, and $103 in stock.
With $100 invested in an S&P fund, you'd have $129 in stock.
Which would you prefer?
link to original post

hunh____________?

from yahoo finance -

SPYI - year to date total return - 12.46%_____________1 year total return - 14.06%

VFIAX - (Vanguard 500 Index fund) - year to date total return - 16.67%___________1 year total return - 22.10%

SPYI - annual total return for 2023 -18.13%__________VFIAX - annual total return for 2023 - 26.24%

and yes, the total return of SPYI shown by yahoo does include dividends as does the total return of VFIAX which also returns smallish dividends

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/SPYI/performance/

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VFIAX/performance/

some more about SPYI from the link:

"Essentially, SPYI owns the stocks in the S&P 500. It then generates monthly income for its holders through both the dividend payments from these stocks and by selling call options on the S&P 500 to generate additional income via the premiums from these options contracts.

While this generates a high level of monthly income, investors should also note that by utilizing this strategy, they are potentially sacrificing some level of upside from capital appreciation. If SPYI’s holding rises above the strike price for the covered call contracts it sells to generate this income, SPYI will forgo much of this additional upside.

You can see this dynamic in play by looking at the ETF’s results. For example, in 2023, SPYI generated a total return (which includes price appreciation and dividends) of 18.1% for the year. While this was a strong return, it underperformed the S&P 500’s return of 26.3% for the year."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/spyi-etf-paid-every-month-185527224.html#:~:text=Essentially%2C%20SPYI%20owns%20the%20stocks,premiums%20from%20these%20options%20contracts.

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 5, 2024
  • Jump to: