kinghuman
kinghuman
  • Threads: 1
December 23rd, 2010 at 1:55:05 PM permalink
Hey guys!

I'm a total noob here and I would appreciate any help I could get with a question I have...

What are the actual odds of getting the exact same cards (not suited & suited) on the bank as the player
in baccarat. Also, same question for 3 card poker. What are the actual odds of getting the exact
same 3 cards as the dealer hand?

The answer to this question will settle a huge bet between me and my buddy.

Thanx & maximum respect

kh
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
December 23rd, 2010 at 2:10:02 PM permalink
A cynic might say the probability of the exact same cards being dealt to the player and banker in baccarat are zero, because once they're in the player's hand they can't be dealt to the dealer. Which side of this bet are you on, and how huge is it?

The actual probability you're looking for (identical hands, like 7c 2h in both player/banker) will depend on the number of decks in baccarat, and that's not a trivial calculation due to the strategy element -- when you take 2 vs. 3 cards.

3CP is dealt from a single deck, and that means only one of each specific card, so it's impossible to have two identical hands in 3CP. No cynicism required there.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
kinghuman
kinghuman
December 23rd, 2010 at 4:42:59 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

A cynic might say the probability of the exact same cards being dealt to the player and banker in baccarat are zero, because once they're in the player's hand they can't be dealt to the dealer. Which side of this bet are you on, and how huge is it?

The actual probability you're looking for (identical hands, like 7c 2h in both player/banker) will depend on the number of decks in baccarat, and that's not a trivial calculation due to the strategy element -- when you take 2 vs. 3 cards.

3CP is dealt from a single deck, and that means only one of each specific card, so it's impossible to have two identical hands in 3CP. No cynicism required there.

Not really... the rules of baccarat are fixed. The players of the game can't decide to hit or not. Another card is dealt depending on what cards are shown in either hand. As for 3 card poker, it has to be possible because I've seen it happen. Maybe the hands were off suit, I don't remember.

I think baccarat uses an 8 deck shoe.

Thanx!
kh
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
December 23rd, 2010 at 5:01:55 PM permalink
For the bacc, are you talking about the first two cards only? How would you consider it if the hands both came Ks2s, and both the player and banker took an extra card. identical hands, or no?

In 3 card poker, only one 52 card standard deck is used, so you could have the same ranks as the dealer, but not in the same suit.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
kinghuman
kinghuman
December 25th, 2010 at 3:08:21 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

For the bacc, are you talking about the first two cards only? How would you consider it if the hands both came Ks2s, and both the player and banker took an extra card. identical hands, or no?

In 3 card poker, only one 52 card standard deck is used, so you could have the same ranks as the dealer, but not in the same suit.

No. For baccarat I am talking about the final hands, be they 2 card hands or 3 card hands. All cards must be an exact match.
The odds on that must be HUGE but I need to know the exact odds to win this bet I have with my buddy, and I need to prove it as well.

As for 3 card poker, you're right. I'm just looking at the same cards but off suit. What are the odds????

Cheers!
kh
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
December 25th, 2010 at 7:11:15 PM permalink
Quote: kinghuman

No. For baccarat I am talking about the final hands, be they 2 card hands or 3 card hands. All cards must be an exact match.
The odds on that must be HUGE but I need to know the exact odds to win this bet I have with my buddy, and I need to prove it as well.

Assuming an eight deck shoe, the odds of the banker being dealt the same two cards as the player are calculated as follows: there are 416 cards in an eight-deck shoe, and dealing the player two cards leaves 414 of them available for the banker. 14 of those cards match one or the other of the player's cards, then 7 of the remaining 413 cards match the other card. So multiply 14/414 times 7/413 to get your answer.

The three-card hands are not as easy to calculate because many three-card combinations would be less prevalent in the banker hand than the player's: for instance, the sequence 10, 5, 8 in the player hand could never be duplicated because the banker would never draw to a 5 once the player had drawn an 8.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
  • Jump to: