Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 22nd, 2010 at 6:54:40 PM permalink
I'd like to see how much alcohol really impairs a gamblers judgement while playing.

I'd like to see if drinking lite beer gets you less drunk than regular beer.

I'd like to know if women really like sensitive girly men better than men who seldom cry.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 22nd, 2010 at 7:02:58 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I'd like to see how much alcohol really impairs a gamblers judgement while playing.

Depends on the player

Quote:

I'd like to see if drinking lite beer gets you less drunk than regular beer.

Depends on how many glasses of each kind you have.

Quote:

I'd like to know if women really like sensitive girly men better than men who seldom cry.

Depends on the woman.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 22nd, 2010 at 7:26:35 PM permalink
>I'd like to see how much alcohol really impairs a gamblers judgment while playing.
Its easier to test fine motor skills and reaction time but more difficult to test judgment skills.

>I'd like to see if drinking lite beer gets you less drunk than regular beer.
No. Though the amount consumed and particularly the rate at which it was consumed is the most critical factor. However, people told they were taking part in a Test of Drunkenness experiment were served NON-alcoholic beer and started acting drunk, so suggestion and social cues play a role also.

>I'd like to know if women really like sensitive girly men better than men who seldom cry.
Of course not. But they won't tell you that.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 22nd, 2010 at 8:15:42 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

>I'd like to see if drinking lite beer gets you less drunk than regular beer.
No. Though the amount consumed and particularly the rate at which it was consumed is the most critical factor.

Yes, but the myth is if you drink lite beer you aren't really drunk. I was a bartender in the 80's and I was told this by lite beer drinkers a hundred times, and they really believed it.

>I'd like to know if women really like sensitive girly men better than men who seldom cry.
Of course not. But they won't tell you that.

Women STILL maintain they love sensitive men, its a good myth to test. Men all know the right answer, but most women really believe the myth.

FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 23rd, 2010 at 5:27:24 AM permalink

>I'd like to see how much alcohol really impairs a gamblers judgment while playing.
Its easier to test fine motor skills and reaction time but more difficult to test judgment skills.

Many gamblers in Las Vegas are sleep deprived due to travel, gambling habits, wives dragging them to shows, etc. Such sleep deprivation can mean that the performance the next day is roughly equivalent to that of having started the day with two cocktails at breakfast. Now you add to that the actual alcohol intake and the net effect of escaped circadian rhythms and alcohol ingestion can be rather high.

What I'd like to see is a simple Mythbuster show on the Operation of Slot Machines. ... maybe that show could convince people when the Wizard has been ineffective. Though there are just some beliefs people cling to. For a long time people were buying merchandise from Publisher's Clearinghouse because they thought the million dollars was only awarded to good customers of the company.
Nareed
Nareed
December 23rd, 2010 at 6:47:03 AM permalink
Light beer has less alcohol in it, so it will take a higher intake to make you drunk as compared to regular beer. But it will make you drunk.

Drinking can and does impair judgment, but it varies tremendoulsy for each individual person. Me, I get sleepy on one drink (I've mentioned this before), and drowsiness does impair my judgment. Other people may down two or three drinks and just get a buzz but otherwise stay focused.

Different kinds of women like different kinds of men. Some will like sensitive types, others wil preffer the semi-civilized Neanderthal type.

Now, what the Mythbusters could test, quite dfinitively, is dice control. I think they could build a robot or throwing machine that can reliably toss the dice nearly the same way each time. Then they could test for the frequency of sevens when 1) there are rubber pyramids on the back wall, 2) without pyramids in the back wall, 3) without a back wall and 4) compare it to a control shooter (control as in experimental control).
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 23rd, 2010 at 7:00:33 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Light beer has less alcohol in it

That is not the intention and not really the case unless I am very much mistaken.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
December 23rd, 2010 at 7:26:42 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

That is not the intention and not really the case unless I am very much mistaken.

Alcohol carries a great amount of calories with it. Beer specifically is also rich in carbohydrates. So for "light" beer you coudl cut either part to have a lower calory drink. I'm not a beer drinker, so I don't know much about it, but it was my understanding light beer has less alcohol.

If it has the same average alcohol content as regular beer, then it gets you as drunk, individual peculiarities and all, as regular beer.

Of course alcohol interacts with other things once isndie the body. Sugar helps get you drunk faster for some reason I'm sure my biology teacher covered and I can't recall. Sugars are a form of carbohydrates, so maybe regular beer can work its "magic" faster thant he light kind. In any case it should be easy enough to determine by a little research. no need to do a big Mythbuster production about it.
blackjackgolden
blackjackgolden
  • Threads: 7
December 23rd, 2010 at 7:35:46 AM permalink

Many gamblers in Las Vegas are sleep deprived due to travel, gambling habits, wives dragging them to shows, etc. Such sleep deprivation can mean that the performance the next day is roughly equivalent to that of having started the day with two cocktails at breakfast. Now you add to that the actual alcohol intake and the net effect of escaped circadian rhythms and alcohol ingestion can be rather high.

What I'd like to see is a simple Mythbuster show on the Operation of Slot Machines. ... maybe that show could convince people when the Wizard has been ineffective. Though there are just some beliefs people cling to. For a long time people were buying merchandise from Publisher's Clearinghouse because they thought the million dollars was only awarded to good customers of the company.

I play better when I am sleep deprived or stoned! I actually will not play if I am not high!
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 20th, 2014 at 8:38:13 PM permalink
This sucks:

http://www.ibtimes.com/why-did-kari-byron-quit-mythbusters-cast-reveals-new-direction-discovery-show-1666548
  • Jump to: