Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
BleedingChipsSlowlyMission146
April 2nd, 2021 at 1:45:04 AM permalink
My brother went to the hospital for work on his knees, and they discovered he has stage 2 prostate cancer. This subject should concern every man on this forum. Men have a 13% chance of eventually getting prostate cancer. The good news is, stage 2 survival rate if you get treated is almost 100% in the first 5 years. In the second five years it's 98%. In the third 5 years I think it's 95%. SooPoo can correct me if I'm wrong. I remember Don Imus was diagnosed with Stage 2 in 2009 and didn't even get medical treatment and he lived 10 years and died of something else entirely. So even though it's disturbing that my brother has it, it's not a death sentence. But what's more disturbing, is because I'm his brother, it means I'm now twice as likely to develop prostate cancer. Always something to look forward to in life..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
April 2nd, 2021 at 3:43:26 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

So even though it's disturbing that my brother has it, it's not a death sentence. But what's more disturbing, is because I'm his brother, it means I'm now twice as likely to develop prostate cancer. Always something to look forward to in life..

I thought the percentage of older men affected was far higher, with most never needing or appropriate for treatment, but I'll bow to your research.
Had a friend of the family die of it in his 70s. It was a dreadful, undignified and drawn out way to go, what with double incontinence and other nasties brought on by the treatment. Surgery upon surgery. Chemo upon chemo.

So guys. Get tested. It can be anything from a trivial q-tip home sample kit to a full strength camera on a snake shoved up your a$$. Whatever it takes, get the test when you reach 'a certain age'

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/prostate/basic_info/risk_factors.htm
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
ams288
April 2nd, 2021 at 4:22:45 AM permalink
If you live long enough you will most likely get prostate cancer. (Males!). There are a variety of treatment options, all improved substantially over the past decade or two. If you get your initial diagnosis when ‘elderly’, you most likely will be told the treatment is worse than the disease. It is a VERY slow growing form of cancer.
OnceDear
OnceDear
April 2nd, 2021 at 4:31:45 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

If you live long enough you will most likely get prostate cancer. (Males!). There are a variety of treatment options, all improved substantially over the past decade or two. If you get your initial diagnosis when ‘elderly’, you most likely will be told the treatment is worse than the disease. It is a VERY slow growing form of cancer.

Indeed. Surgery for it is very invasive and destructive. It's a cancer that we can be told to just live with and ignore. But still worth getting tested from age of about 50.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 2nd, 2021 at 4:45:42 AM permalink
My father had it and beat it. Went onto die over a decade later of other reasons.

Hope your brother beats it too, EB.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
April 2nd, 2021 at 6:29:42 AM permalink
As uncomfortable and humiliating as it is, "the finger" is a vital part of an annual physical. As you age, a PSA test should also be standard. If your doctor doesn't do it, ask for it. Best wishes to EB's brother.
OnceDear
OnceDear
April 2nd, 2021 at 7:05:33 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

As uncomfortable and humiliating as it is, "the finger" is a vital part of an annual physical. As you age, a PSA test should also be standard. If your doctor doesn't do it, ask for it. Best wishes to EB's brother.

Just a curious Brit....
How does the 'Annual physical' thing work in the US? Do pretty much all American adults get routinely called in each year? Is that something that gets charged to your insurance? And what of those without medical insurance?
We don't tend to have annual checkups in the UK. For prostate screening, it's generally an invitation to a colonoscopy at 50 and a DIY poo test every 5 years. For other conditions, we get invited for a more general screening every 5 years, or on request.
Quote: NHS

If you're in the 40 to 74 age group without a pre-existing condition, you should receive a letter from your GP surgery or local council inviting you for a free NHS Health Check every 5 years. You can also call your GP surgery to book a Health Check.

For women, cervical screening and breast screening is by regular invitation every 3 to 5 years depending on age. Annual tests for those at risk at the GP's (General Practitioner = family doctor) discretion.
For things like flu vaccine, free annually for the over 60s or about $15 from a pharmacy for the younger.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
April 2nd, 2021 at 7:11:44 AM permalink
Correction... colonoscopy is for colon cancer screening, not prostate cancer screening. ‘The finger’ checks the prostate, as does a blood test (PSA). ‘Poo test’ tends to be checking for blood, which is also indicative of possible colon cancer. Can even be esophageal or stomach cancer. The majority of US insurance policies cover an annual physical. Sometimes with small copay. I pay $10 virtually every time I see any doctor. If you do not have insurance there are many free clinics that offer cost free cancer screenings.
rsactuary
rsactuary
April 2nd, 2021 at 7:22:22 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Just a curious Brit....
How does the 'Annual physical' thing work in the US? Do pretty much all American adults get routinely called in each year? Is that something that gets charged to your insurance? And what of those without medical insurance?
We don't tend to have annual checkups in the UK. For prostate screening, it's generally an invitation to a colonoscopy at 50 and a DIY poo test every 5 years. For other conditions, we get invited for a more general screening every 5 years, or on request.
For women, cervical screening and breast screening is by regular invitation every 3 to 5 years depending on age. Annual tests for those at risk at the GP's (General Practitioner = family doctor) discretion.
For things like flu vaccine, free annually for the over 60s or about $15 from a pharmacy for the younger.

It is really up to the individual as to whether you have a physical every year. Individual responsibility. However, if I don't go see my doc at least once every six months, he'll stop refilling my blood pressure and cholesterol meds. So he sort of forces my hand, but not an issue for me, I go willingly, even though it's not the most pleasant of experiences.

If you have insurance, insurance will pay for one preventative visit a year for free (under ACA) however, if you even ask a single question about anything, it becomes a regular office visit with some sort of cost sharing depending on the plan you have.

If you don't have insurance, you have to pay for the whole thing out of pocket. These are the people who generally don't show up and then realize they're sick when it's too late.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 2nd, 2021 at 7:24:19 AM permalink

Just a curious Brit....

If there is a standard, nobody told me. I have had only two full-blown physicals in my adult life. Reminder, I'm 55. I recently did a blood work up only, which came out pretty well. Medical insurance should cover that expense or at least most of a check-up. Sometimes there is a patient "co-pay."

As to the finger, a friend of mine who had a huge hang-up about that finally did the alternative blood test.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
OnceDear
OnceDear
April 2nd, 2021 at 7:40:17 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Correction... colonoscopy is for colon cancer screening, not prostate cancer screening.

Thanks. I stand corrected. It was colon cancer testing I had and I don't recall ever having been invited for a prostate check! I'll request one soon.
At my most recent 'regular check' it was bloods and BP, breathing efficiency and a chat about any concerns such as diet, drinking, moles or whatever. No insurance needed and no charges for these services at the point of delivery. No charges for asking any questions or extra tests.
During current covid restrictions, most GP appointments are by phone or video call with diagnosis by uploaded photos for visible things.

I can see how a fear of costs might keep ill and infectious folks from getting diagnosed or treated.
rsactuary
rsactuary
April 2nd, 2021 at 7:49:28 AM permalink

I don't recall ever having been invited for a prostate check! I'll request one soon.

Over here, those are a routine part of an annual physical starting at 40, so that may be why you haven't had one. It don't know your age.

It should not hurt when the doc presses against the prostate. If it does, you need to say something. It's just a feeling of being invaded that is the odd part. In the states, after the doc is done with that, he rubs the finger along a test strip that tests for minute particles of blood. If that comes back positive, further tests might be done.
OnceDear
OnceDear
April 2nd, 2021 at 8:26:42 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

Over here, those are a routine part of an annual physical starting at 40, so that may be why you haven't had one. It don't know your age.

Way over 40 and not generally routinely examined.
Quote:

It should not hurt when the doc presses against the prostate. If it does, you need to say something. It's just a feeling of being invaded that is the odd part. In the states, after the doc is done with that, he rubs the finger along a test strip that tests for minute particles of blood. If that comes back positive, further tests might be done.

I have no concerns at the indignity or discomfort. Will get a checkup booked.
Thanks to EB for the prompt.
OnceDear
OnceDear
April 2nd, 2021 at 8:36:06 AM permalink

Way over 40 and not generally routinely examined.
I have no concerns at the indignity or discomfort. Will get a checkup booked.
Thanks to EB for the prompt.

WOW! I Just Learned Something.
Quote: UK NHS

There's currently no screening programme for prostate cancer in the UK. This is because it has not been proved that the benefits would outweigh the risks.
PSA screening
Routinely screening all men to check their prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels is a controversial subject in the international medical community. There are several reasons for this.

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 2nd, 2021 at 9:38:55 AM permalink

I thought the percentage of older men affected was far higher,

African men are far more likely to get it than any other race and that skews the numbers.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
OnceDear
April 2nd, 2021 at 10:14:48 AM permalink
My wife had a colonoscopy (Jan,2020) by Dr. P and was told that she had colon cancer. She was told that she would have to have an operation and be required to wear a colonoscopy bag for the rest of her life. We were told that the operation would take place at a Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) in NY.

I questioned why she had to go 60 miles to NY to have the operation. I was told that it was the best cancer hospital in the US. The local hospital had just added a 20 story cancer center and I said that there must be someone there that could perform the operation. Dr. P then referred us to Dr. A.

He took a biopsy and said that he didn't think she had cancer. To be on the safe side he recommended that she have chemo with Dr. T and radiation treatment with Dr. W. She went to all the treatments at the local hospital.

It's been 15 months since she was told that she had colon cancer. We went last week to see Dr. A and he told her that she was cancer free!

She went from having to wearing a colonoscopy bag to being "cancer free". She will have to have annual follow up visits to Dr. A.

I am certainly glad that we got a second opinion.
  • Jump to: