11 votes (15.94%)
45 votes (65.21%)
13 votes (18.84%)

69 members have voted

Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 45
February 20th, 2021 at 5:37:16 PM permalink
I think smokers and obese people should pay more for health insurance, and since I’m a little bit overweight and out of shape I gladly accept that I would pay more. It might even motivate some people to be healthier
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 109
February 20th, 2021 at 5:41:20 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

SOOPOO, can I ask what is the point of your 'aids is a day disease only' point and what does it have to do with covid which doesn't discriminate?

LOlL! I can’t remember the original point! But it is possible I was responding to someone implying AIDS is not a ‘gay’ disease, while it ‘mostly’ is. It was also possible I was responding to a insurance cost sharing type question. COVID does discriminate (sort of). Certainly according to your job. Certainly according to your behavior. Certainly according to your ability to get the vaccine. Certainly according to your age, general health, weight...

Not relevant, but I was in Med School when AIDS was actually referred to as ‘Gay man’s disease’.... I was in Brooklyn and saw many die from AIDS.

Edit.... I see there was a disagreement between darkoz and AZ.... I just added facts....
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
February 21st, 2021 at 4:21:34 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Not relevant, but I was in Med School when AIDS was actually referred to as ‘Gay man’s disease’.... I was in Brooklyn and saw many die from AIDS.

I've seen bits and pieces of the movie. And I remember the 1980s. If you do not remember the 1980s you really cannot get how it was a "gay disease" at the time and at the same time how they tried to scare straight people to death saying it was going to go beyond the gay community "in a few years" and everybody was at risk.

It never came close to what they predicted.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
February 21st, 2021 at 4:24:38 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

AZ says having unprotected sex is a choice and so gay men spreading HIV should pay

So does AZ feel heterosexuals should pay for Herpes treatment and syphilis treatment etc? For being promiscuous

A promiscuous tax?

No. AZD said that if you are saying I should pay for not getting the vax would you say the same about gay males and HIV.

You do not call for this. Thus your "behaviors" argument is very weak.

So, get the vax and wear your mask, leave home only when needed. Let the rest of us live our lives. I do not want any part of the "new normal."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 167
February 21st, 2021 at 9:13:25 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I've seen bits and pieces of the movie. And I remember the 1980s. If you do not remember the 1980s you really cannot get how it was a "gay disease" at the time and at the same time how they tried to scare straight people to death saying it was going to go beyond the gay community "in a few years" and everybody was at risk.

Well if you got jabbed by a syringe full of infected blood, you could have fun trying to convince people you’re not gay because you would likely have the “gay” disease.

(so SOOPOO doesn’t jump on this, I purposely didn’t say needle stick alone as the risk is low from a dirty needle)
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 211
February 21st, 2021 at 9:59:27 AM permalink
Disclaimer: I hope the mods will allow me just a little latitude here to make my point.

So it is being argued that aids is a gay disease. Who is at risk, the guy putting his penis in a mans ass or the man having a penis put in his ass? And does this kind of sexual behavior not occur in the straight community? Not to stereo-type, but black guys love anal sex with so called "fat-assed black girls". Are the black dudes and black girls who engage not just as at risk?

And the bigger point....what if aids was just a gay disease, which I don't buy. Is the position, "I am not gay, it doesn't effect me" (hope I am using the right effect/affect lol)

If that is your position might I remind you of the Martin NieMoller poem...."when they came for the Jews, I didn't speak out because I am not Jewish....".

We are all in this together folks. :/
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 248
February 21st, 2021 at 10:09:14 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Apparently you don't remember the eighties too well

It was also called the Haitian disease when they had a huge outbreak that affected all sexual proclivities

And Ryan White at 9 years old you feel had a gay disease?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 21st, 2021 at 10:59:30 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Disclaimer: I hope the mods will allow me just a little latitude here to make my point.

So it is being argued that aids is a gay disease. Who is at risk, the guy putting his penis in a mans ass or the man having a penis put in his ass? And does this kind of sexual behavior not occur in the straight community? Not to stereo-type, but black guys love anal sex with so called "fat-assed black girls". Are the black dudes and black girls who engage not just as at risk?

And the bigger point....what if aids was just a gay disease, which I don't buy. Is the position, "I am not gay, it doesn't effect me" (hope I am using the right effect/affect lol)

If that is your position might I remind you of the Martin NieMoller poem...."when they came for the Jews, I didn't speak out because I am not Jewish....".

We are all in this together folks. :/

Who said people with AIDS should not get care? If I remember correctly, way down thread, it was just used an example of a disease that is spread disproportionally as a result of a changeable behavior, like smoking, or obesity, or (my example) motorcycle riding. And the discussion was about whether these people should pay more for insurance. I believe it started with anti vaxxers who would refuse a COVID-19 vaccine.... should they pay more, and if there were limited resources to treat people, should they go to the back of the list.

And sadly, kewlj, I can't get the picture out of my head now.... "black guy having anal sex with fat assed black girl...."
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 21st, 2021 at 11:03:48 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Well if you got jabbed by a syringe full of infected blood, you could have fun trying to convince people you’re not gay because you would likely have the “gay” disease.

(so SOOPOO doesn’t jump on this, I purposely didn’t say needle stick alone as the risk is low from a dirty needle)

I knew a nurse who contracted AIDS from a 'needle stick'. Some of the needles we use look more like straws with a point. She was accidentally stuck by a colleague.

Non smokers get lung cancer.
Thin active people get heart attacks.
But am I recommending people smoke and get fat and sedentary? You get the point.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
February 21st, 2021 at 11:06:32 AM permalink
The first time I heard of AIDS, it was actually called GRID( gay related immune deficiency?). That was in the early 80s and the working theory was Cuban soldiers had gotten infected in Africa and brought it to America via the Marlietas. I'm pretty sure that theory has long been disproved.
While you people are focused on the US victims of this disease, doesn't it effect the hetrosexual populations of Africa in greater numbers.

• Jump to: