Thread Rating:

Poll

11 votes (15.94%)
45 votes (65.21%)
13 votes (18.84%)

69 members have voted

billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 10250
February 5th, 2021 at 8:48:46 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Probably correlates pretty well with the rise of the fast food restaurants since the late 50s.



Mom's working instead of having all day to cook healthy foods.
Zcore13
Zcore13
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
  • Threads: 39
  • Posts: 3607
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
February 5th, 2021 at 8:59:01 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I just hope that eventually all employers will require it and all government benefits will require it. I agree it is your choice, but if you don't get it I also hope you never get unemployment, social security benefits, and any medicaid/ medicare. Hopefully businesses will require it to enter all stores.



I dont think you'd really want that. Opens up a door that may never close. Sounds very Nazi Germany-ish.


ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 10250
February 5th, 2021 at 10:59:22 PM permalink
Quote: Zcore13

I dont think you'd really want that. Opens up a door that may never close. Sounds very Nazi Germany-ish.


ZCore13



As I understand it, people who don't get vaccinated will enable the virus to spread and the more it spreads the more it mutates.
The more it mutates, the less effective the vaccines are. At some point, shouldn't there be consequences for knowingly endangering the public?
Zcore13
Zcore13
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
  • Threads: 39
  • Posts: 3607
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
February 6th, 2021 at 12:27:04 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

As I understand it, people who don't get vaccinated will enable the virus to spread and the more it spreads the more it mutates.
The more it mutates, the less effective the vaccines are. At some point, shouldn't there be consequences for knowingly endangering the public?



No. Do you know if your co-worker has been vaccinated for all possible diseases? Should everyone be forced to get the flu shot? What about the chicken pox vaccine? Is it required to tell if you have AIDS or an STD?

I'm scheduled for my first dose Friday, but that's my choice. Others may not want to.


ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 211
  • Posts: 4270
February 6th, 2021 at 12:49:07 AM permalink
Quote: Zcore13

No. Do you know if your co-worker has been vaccinated for all possible diseases? Should everyone be forced to get the flu shot? What about the chicken pox vaccine? Is it required to tell if you have AIDS or an STD?

I'm scheduled for my first dose Friday, but that's my choice. Others may not want to.



The problem with the "my choice argument" is that your choice effects other people....could even kill them.

To me it is kind of like drinking all night and then driving and saying "well that is my choice". And that would be fine if it only effected you, but it doesn't.

Now nobody is going to mandate vaccines., hold people down and force it upon them. But it is not unreasonable that there are going to be things you forfeit if you choose to put others at risk. For starters, people shouldn't be able to fly if they choose not to be vaccinated. Kids won't be able to attend school, same as other vaccines. Your employer could require it for you to work. Restaurants and businesses could require it for you to visit their establishment. And none of this seems unreasonable to me.

I mean a person choosing not to be vaccinated goes into a workplace or bar or restaurant, spreading the virus, many people get sick, and it is traced back to that establishment, THEY get sued. Imagine a restaurant in the news for causing an outbreak. They can lose everything they have worked a lifetime to build up.

I don't know what the answer is. Yes you have the right to choose not to be vaccinated. But should others have to pay for that decision? (possibly with their life)
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 1842
February 6th, 2021 at 2:57:35 AM permalink
What’s to stop someone from claiming they are a smoker in order to jump the line for the vaccine?
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 224
  • Posts: 12332
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
February 6th, 2021 at 3:20:28 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

The problem with the "my choice argument" is that your choice effects other people....could even kill them.

To me it is kind of like drinking all night and then driving and saying "well that is my choice". And that would be fine if it only effected you, but it doesn't.

Now nobody is going to mandate vaccines., hold people down and force it upon them. But it is not unreasonable that there are going to be things you forfeit if you choose to put others at risk. For starters, people shouldn't be able to fly if they choose not to be vaccinated. Kids won't be able to attend school, same as other vaccines. Your employer could require it for you to work. Restaurants and businesses could require it for you to visit their establishment. And none of this seems unreasonable to me.

I mean a person choosing not to be vaccinated goes into a workplace or bar or restaurant, spreading the virus, many people get sick, and it is traced back to that establishment, THEY get sued. Imagine a restaurant in the news for causing an outbreak. They can lose everything they have worked a lifetime to build up.

I don't know what the answer is. Yes you have the right to choose not to be vaccinated. But should others have to pay for that decision? (possibly with their life)



The flaw in your argument is I cannot take a "DUI Vaccine" that protects me against you crashing into me. You take the vaccine and you are protected. If I get sick then I am no threat to you.

There should not be lawsuits of any kind because "I got you sick." I mean, you can stay home if you are that afraid of being sick. Just hide there for life. You don't like that statement? Well, then quit suggesting I get locked out of society for not doing something you demand.

Reality is that viruses exist and you have to deal with that. You want some kind of total protection. First it was masks now it is a vaccine. What is next? Life must be lived with the risks in it. The safe thing is stay home if you think you will "catch something."

The hole in the logic of demanding vaccines is wide enough to drive a semi thru. You say it works and there are no side effects. Then you say I have to take it because if I do not it does not work. But if it does not work why should I take it?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 224
  • Posts: 12332
February 6th, 2021 at 3:23:39 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Once I qualified for the vaccine I went to my local my Wegmans. They have a sign saying if you want the vaccine sign up for an appointment at Wegmans.com. Of course no appointments were available. I asked the counter girl, probably a ‘pharmacy assistant’, if I could leave my name and phone number to be called in case there was a no show. I live less than 5 minutes away. She said they don’t take names like that. I asked her what they do if they have a late cancellation. She said she does not know. Behind the counter were a bunch of other people working. I ask her to ask the chief pharmacist. She gets into a little huddle with them, and politely comes back saying none of them know! But she said if I leave my name and number they will call me back when she finds out. About an hour later I get a call, and she said they offer any extra doses to in store employees. Seemed odd that NONE of the people behind the counter knew that when I asked.
NY just opened up eligibility to all with a variety of medical conditions. Probably 60+% will qualify. If you include those who already qualified by age, job .... probably 75% of adults qualify. The odds of getting an appointment will be small until J and J gets its approval.



I do not have a problem with any of that. Taking standby names opens up all kinds of problems. And them not knowing a procedure for noshows on a new thing well that happens. No matter how careful something is planned things always come up. No battle plan lasts past first contact with the enemy, that is something I wish I learned more in college business classes.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 247
  • Posts: 7770
February 6th, 2021 at 3:38:55 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

The flaw in your argument is I cannot take a "DUI Vaccine" that protects me against you crashing into me. You take the vaccine and you are protected. If I get sick then I am no threat to you.

There should not be lawsuits of any kind because "I got you sick." I mean, you can stay home if you are that afraid of being sick. Just hide there for life. You don't like that statement? Well, then quit suggesting I get locked out of society for not doing something you demand.

Reality is that viruses exist and you have to deal with that. You want some kind of total protection. First it was masks now it is a vaccine. What is next? Life must be lived with the risks in it. The safe thing is stay home if you think you will "catch something."

The hole in the logic of demanding vaccines is wide enough to drive a semi thru. You say it works and there are no side effects. Then you say I have to take it because if I do not it does not work. But if it does not work why should I take it?



Do some research into how vaccines work?

It doesn't stop you from catching or spreading the virus. You just won't get sick because you already have antibodies.

The vaccine loses effectiveness of half the population who catches it don't have the Antibodies because it gives the virus more chance to mutate.

Again you fail to understand group necessary procedures and how your choice affects others.

Take littering. By your logic, you should be free to litter without consequence. Nobody who wishes to avoid garbage on the ground needs to leave their homes if they are afraid of a little junk. How does your litter affect anyone else's life.

If you can understand the concept of littering and why it's citizen's on the whole have to contribute you should be able to understand about vaccines
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 224
  • Posts: 12332
February 6th, 2021 at 4:09:28 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Do some research into how vaccines work?

It doesn't stop you from catching or spreading the virus. You just won't get sick because you already have antibodies.



Then you will not get sick if I get it. Problem solved for the both of us.

Quote:

The vaccine loses effectiveness of half the population who catches it don't have the Antibodies because it gives the virus more chance to mutate.

Again you fail to understand group necessary procedures and how your choice affects others.

Take littering. By your logic, you should be free to litter without consequence. Nobody who wishes to avoid garbage on the ground needs to leave their homes if they are afraid of a little junk. How does your litter affect anyone else's life.

If you can understand the concept of littering and why it's citizen's on the whole have to contribute you should be able to understand about vaccines



But the difference is littering is an active thing. A person for example throwing their Starbucks cup on the ground is active. A virus is just out there, While I remember some show in the 2000s where they gave an example of a terrorist infecting themself with smallpox and cruising NYC for days until they get sick, such a thing is not the case.
Last edited by: unnamed administrator on Feb 6, 2021
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

  • Jump to: