1 vote (7.69%)
8 votes (61.53%)
6 votes (46.15%)

13 members have voted

USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 18
December 6th, 2020 at 11:18:26 AM permalink
I have a 2nd interview tomorrow with IGT for the position of Game Mathematician IV which is their lead game designer position which also offers their highest salary of 95-110k.

CLICK HERE to watch my latest video update where I talk about the job opportunity.

Last edited by: USpapergames on Dec 6, 2020
Math is the only true form of knowledge
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 6th, 2020 at 1:49:50 PM permalink
well, we know you're not superstitious. This is the last thing I'd ever do for a job I don't have yet, and fearing putting a jinx on myself might be the least of it

Wish you well? sure, good luck
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 4:33:27 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

well, we know you're not superstitious. This is the last thing I'd ever do for a job I don't have yet, and fearing putting a jinx on myself might be the least of it

Wish you well? sure, good luck

Thank you, no defiantly not superstition...Altho I did wait till the day before the interview to post this ;)
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
Thanked by
RogerKintrdw4potusodiousgambit
December 6th, 2020 at 4:37:10 PM permalink
Why would anyone expect you to lie? It's your own self importance that makes you think that people wouldn't trust you.

Don't let your hubris get in the way. If you treat the mathematicians at IGT like you treat the people here, you won't last too long.

You're clearly a smart guy, but it doesn't matter if you can't get along with people.

I turn down opportunities like this all the time (Including this one). You know you're in a good spot when you don't give a $#1+ who's knocking on your door.

You're a young guy, and still have time to learn how to respect people.

IGT pumps out a lot of garbage. Don't beat yourself up if a game fails, because it's not all on you.
I heart Crystal Math.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
CrystalMath
December 6th, 2020 at 5:10:03 PM permalink
I wish you success with the interview process. That would have been the perfect job for me when I was your age. If you do get the job, I would recommend lowering the cockiness a bit and "know your place" for at least the first year.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 5:54:54 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

Why would anyone expect you to lie? It's your own self importance that makes you think that people wouldn't trust you.

Don't let your hubris get in the way. If you treat the mathematicians at IGT like you treat the people here, you won't last too long.

You're clearly a smart guy, but it doesn't matter if you can't get along with people.

I turn down opportunities like this all the time (Including this one). You know you're in a good spot when you don't give a $#1+ who's knocking on your door.

You're a young guy, and still have time to learn how to respect people.

IGT pumps out a lot of garbage. Don't beat yourself up if a game fails, because it's not all on you.

Thank you for the advice. I think I need to make somethings clear so that everyone can understand my character better instead of making assumptions about my professionalism.

1) I think there are plenty of people here that think I'm all talk but I definitely have the skills to pay the bills & backup what I say & I will basically go any distance to prove this on WoV. That is why I thought it might be necessary to prove this but you're correct in that I should have some credibility by now but I promise I don't have high self-esteem but it's more like I need to prove my skills to myself and the best way I know how to do that is by challenging myself. That's why I come off so self-empowered because I want someone to dethrone me which would just push me even harder to obtain success. And what is success? To be one of the best game designers & the world's expert on combinatorial probabilities. So if your goal is also to do the same then you're going to have to dethrone me to take the crown.

2) There is a huge difference in how I treat people on a professional level than on a personal level. No matter what I'm going to have respect for any colleague because I work with them & you don't get to choose who you work for when your an employee. Also even if the colleague hates you they aren't going to jeopardize their job to ridicule you, however here I have been made fun of plenty of times by strangers. Everyone gives respect differently & with me, you have to earn it, regardless of who you are unless we will be conducting business together (in which they have probably already earned my respect).

3) I'm not going to lie that it can be very difficult for me to get along with others. However, when it comes to tasks, I am extremely easy to get along with. No joke, it would be much easy getting along with a group of people if we were all working on a project than if we were all at a bar making small talk. Context in relationships real matters & WoV members have only had 1 form of relationship with me & that's as a casual commenter. Do you guys really think I act the same way with everyone in the same context? Do you think I would talk to a girlfriend the way I talk on here? I'm trying to make a reputation for myself as the "shit" in the gaming industry and I can't do it by not promoting my skills. I spent too many years afraid to ever mention the skills or research life acquired for fear someone would out due my work. But now I don't think anyone can & yet it's been year's & I'm still not famous yet. Does any of this make sense???

4) So you have been offered a lead game design job from a fortune 500 company before?

5) You might be right that any of these large-scaled game successes can't fully be my responsibility but sadly I will still feel responsible for any losses. Realistically this job could depress me if everyone thinks I'm doing a great job but the games are selling well. The entire point of getting this job is to build my portfolio for digital games because I have only 1 digital game & it's still not published because of bugs (which should be resolved any day now).
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 6:05:41 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I wish you success with the interview process. That would have been the perfect job for me when I was your age. If you do get the job, I would recommend lowering the cockiness a bit and "know your place" for at least the first year.

Thank you, I would hope you'd know my professionalism better than anyone WoV member since you have seen my behavior from the cutting edge table game conference ;)
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
December 6th, 2020 at 6:16:05 PM permalink
Good luck. I tried to get a job with IGT about ten years ago...I had a recruiter that had some connections there but nothing panned out.
It’s all about making that GTA
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 6:21:37 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Good luck. I tried to get a job with IGT about ten years ago...I had a recruiter that had some connections there but nothing panned out.

Thank you so much, I have no connections & haven't had a job since 2014 yet I got this 2nd interview!
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
December 6th, 2020 at 6:23:15 PM permalink
Quote: USpapergames

Thank you for the advice. I think I need to make somethings clear so that everyone can understand my character better instead of making assumptions about my professionalism.

1) I think there are plenty of people here that think I'm all talk but I definitely have the skills to pay the bills & backup what I say & I will basically go any distance to prove this on WoV. That is why I thought it might be necessary to prove this but you're correct in that I should have some credibility by now but I promise I don't have high self-esteem but it's more like I need to prove my skills to myself and the best way I know how to do that is by challenging myself. That's why I come off so self-empowered because I want someone to dethrone me which would just push me even harder to obtain success. And what is success? To be one of the best game designers & the world's expert on combinatorial probabilities. So if your goal is also to do the same then you're going to have to dethrone me to take the crown.

I made no assumptions. I said that you need to treat people better than you treat people here. The way you treat people here is no secret.

Quote:

2) There is a huge difference in how I treat people on a professional level than on a personal level. No matter what I'm going to have respect for any colleague because I work with them & you don't get to choose who you work for when your an employee. Also even if the colleague hates you they aren't going to jeopardize their job to ridicule you, however here I have been made fun of plenty of times by strangers. Everyone gives respect differently & with me, you have to earn it, regardless of who you are unless we will be conducting business together (in which they have probably already earned my respect).

3) I'm not going to lie that it can be very difficult for me to get along with others. However, when it comes to tasks, I am extremely easy to get along with. No joke, it would be much easy getting along with a group of people if we were all working on a project than if we were all at a bar making small talk. Context in relationships real matters & WoV members have only had 1 form of relationship with me & that's as a casual commenter. Do you guys really think I act the same way with everyone in the same context? Do you think I would talk to a girlfriend the way I talk on here? I'm trying to make a reputation for myself as the "shit" in the gaming industry and I can't do it by not promoting my skills. I spent too many years afraid to ever mention the skills or research life acquired for fear someone would out due my work. But now I don't think anyone can & yet it's been year's & I'm still not famous yet. Does any of this make sense???

I don't know you enough to know. To treat a random stranger with contempt shows a lack of character, in my opinion.

Quote:

4) So you have been offered a lead game design job from a fortune 500 company before?

I get contacted all the time. I was even contacted by IGT for this position. This position, and any that I've been approached with, are a step back for me. If I were your age, I would have appreciated the opportunity.

Quote:

5) You might be right that any of these large-scaled game successes can't fully be my responsibility but sadly I will still feel responsible for any losses. Realistically this job could depress me if everyone thinks I'm doing a great job but the games are selling well. The entire point of getting this job is to build my portfolio for digital games because I have only 1 digital game & it's still not published because of bugs (which should be resolved any day now).

It is depressing, but you only provide the math, not the whole experience. Games are about graphics, sounds, and math, all put together in a way to evoke a certain emotion. Without any one working right, it won't work. People who think it's all the math, just imagine a black box with a button and your math and then tell me how many people will play that game.
I heart Crystal Math.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 7:16:57 PM permalink

I made no assumptions. I said that you need to treat people better than you treat people here. The way you treat people here is no secret.

Why do I need to treat people better on here? There are plenty of WoV members who lash out at me please, why would I ever show respect to them?

I don't know you enough to know. To treat a random stranger with contempt shows a lack of character, in my opinion.

We obviously we grew up in different environments. Raised in San Leandro from 1st grade to 6th grade, you are taught that respect must be earned and that it is foolish to automatically give respect to strangers.

It is depressing, but you only provide the math, not the whole experience. Games are about graphics, sounds, and math, all put together in a way to evoke a certain emotion. Without any one working right, it won't work. People who think it's all the math, just imagine a black box with a button and your math and then tell me how many people will play that game.

If reading the rules will encourage you to attempt the challenge then I will message you the rules. But note that several games use the royal deck because it's a game tool and not a game itself, so I guess I just send you a bunch of different rules for games ;)
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
Thanked by
Ace2
December 6th, 2020 at 7:30:47 PM permalink

Why do I need to treat people better on here? There are plenty of WoV members who lash out at me please, why would I ever show respect to them?

Did they lash out because you were so nice and humble? You get to control one side of any relationship, and you have decided that all of yours will start with contempt.
I heart Crystal Math.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
December 6th, 2020 at 8:30:46 PM permalink

IGT is a great company. I hear it's a great place to work. It isn't a fortune 500 company.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 6th, 2020 at 8:37:09 PM permalink
Game designers top out at a bit over 100K? I'm surprised. I thought they were considered top jobs.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 9:06:29 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

IGT is a great company. I hear it's a great place to work. It isn't a fortune 500 company.

Your right, but I picked them because they value innovation & its 1 of there 7 company values. Me. Park liked that I want to make some big changes in this industry. I think they are ok with acceptable losses as long as the rewards have potentially high payoffs.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 9:09:09 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Game designers top out at a bit over 100K? I'm surprised. I thought they were considered top jobs.

Yes, but I think that is just the salary cap. I believe promotions are based on corporate equity, which makes sense if your going to become an essential asset to the company.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 9:09:19 PM permalink

Yes, but I think that is just the salary cap. I believe promotions are based on corporate equity, which makes sense if your going to become an essential asset to the company.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 9:09:28 PM permalink

I'm not sure why I'm getting all these reports comments all of a sudden
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 9:14:10 PM permalink

Did they lash out because you were so nice and humble? You get to control one side of any relationship, and you have decided that all of yours will start with contempt.

Probably all for different reasons...I challenge anyone to join the forums and participate in discussions without getting someone to lady out at you, anyone got any friends or family who might want to take on the challenge?
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 11:21:49 PM permalink
Here you go Cristal Math, get you fix on. I've got a solid patent!

California Roll Rules

Cards vs Dice Rules

C.v.D. Layout

Royal Slots Design Analysis

R.S. App

R.S. Original Sheets Program
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
FinsRule
December 7th, 2020 at 5:37:30 AM permalink

Raised in San Leandro from 1st grade to 6th grade, you are taught that respect must be earned and that it is foolish to automatically give respect to strangers.

Personally, I extend respect until someone shows they aren't worthy of it. This has caused me to be cheated and taken advantage of numerous times, but I think the world would be a better place if people were kinder to each other. I also tend to believe in karma -- You reap what you sow.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 7th, 2020 at 8:18:47 AM permalink
Why would you want people you don't respect to wish you luck? You come across as very arrogant, which is the last thing I would be looking for in someone to join my team. Perhaps someday you will earn my respect and I'll wish you good luck, but that is not today.
You certainly seem to have some skills, but it's equally obvious you are missing some others.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
December 7th, 2020 at 8:45:46 AM permalink

Your right, but I picked them because they value innovation & its 1 of there 7 company values. Me. Park liked that I want to make some big changes in this industry. I think they are ok with acceptable losses as long as the rewards have potentially high payoffs.

Cool! I guess my point is that you need to focus on those things and not use the Fortune line. Otherwise, they'll think you're also interviewing at (and maybe favor) MGM or Scientific Gaming or something.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
December 7th, 2020 at 8:56:29 AM permalink

I have a 2nd interview tomorrow with IGT for the position of Game Mathematician IV which is their lead game designer position which also offers their highest salary of 95-110k.

I have questions about this from a talent acquisition standpoint. I'm a hiring manager in the procurement and project management practice at a global engineering firm. We don't typically hire externally at the lead level. When it does happen, it's usually indicative of either a candidate with an incredible network or a period of internal weakness where the senior level (III) is also void or is staffed with a newly-promoted person/people. Does that same thing happen in the gaming industry?

95-110 is a tight range. I assume that's the position's hiring range? If so, it might be worth asking what the total band for the position is. If I was hired at 110 and the position's band was 95-115, I'd be worried about what happens when I hit the cap before there's a growth position available. I guess, likewise, if I were a younger professional, I'd be worried about getting hired at 100 and learning that the top of the position's range was 150 - would they want the incumbent to stay in this role for many years? Would I want to do that?
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 7th, 2020 at 2:04:42 PM permalink
So I had the interview & I'm almost convinced I didn't get the job :/ The interview lasted 47 minutes & they literally just asked me 1 question!!! So I think I might have rubbed their lead mathematician the wrong way by accident. No joke the entire interview was based on Royal Slots & it looked like it was all they care about! I swear it felt more like a product pitch than an interview!

But basically the 1st & only question I was asked was what games have I created that could become a slot machine, & I responded by saying I already have a slot machine program as 1 of my game creations. Then they asked to explain the game and how to works in simple details & I then explained that I had made so many improvements to the standard slot machine that it would be difficult to explain them all so I'd rather explain the benefits to my program.

So I asked them how they would feel about a slot machine where the reels could immediately stop the millisecond the player hit the stop button? And this is when the mathematician spoke up & said that they already had that feature in 1 of their slots. I said really? You could be correct & have something that currently isn't on the market but I've done some extensive research on slot machine mechanics & the fastest slot machines I know of are called rapid-fire slots which are 3 seconds. How fast are your soot machines I asked? & nothing but complete silence. Then I said well my Royal Slot program can do > 7,200 games per hour & still just silence.

I swear I attempted to on the largest monologue about the program but then was cut off because they cared more about the games entertainment value than it's speed benefits, so then I needed to explain how there are a lot more benefits to the program then just entertainment value, for example my program will require less machine maintenance than a slot machine that is currently available on the market regardless of the hardware used. It was just 1 huge monologue after that with no interruptions.

In the end I literally begged them to spend time reviewing my work. I told them it's so easy to just spend 15 minutes reviewing someone's work when in actuality it needs a few hours. I even said if they didn't like Royal Slots than to please not hire me since I didn't want to work for a company that didn't appreciate my work. I ended it with saying that no matter what Royal Slots will be in a casino some day & that I have already spoken to several manufacturing companies who say they can make a cabinet & ditch the competition.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
CrystalMath
December 7th, 2020 at 2:48:09 PM permalink

So I had the interview & I'm almost convinced I didn't get the job :/ The interview lasted 47 minutes & they literally just asked me 1 question!!! So I think I might have rubbed their lead mathematician the wrong way by accident. No joke the entire interview was based on Royal Slots & it looked like it was all they care about! I swear it felt more like a product pitch than an interview!

But basically the 1st & only question I was asked was what games have I created that could become a slot machine, & I responded by saying I already have a slot machine program as 1 of my game creations. Then they asked to explain the game and how to works in simple details & I then explained that I had made so many improvements to the standard slot machine that it would be difficult to explain them all so I'd rather explain the benefits to my program.

So I asked them how they would feel about a slot machine where the reels could immediately stop the millisecond the player hit the stop button? And this is when the mathematician spoke up & said that they already had that feature in 1 of their slots. I said really? You could be correct & have something that currently isn't on the market but I've done some extensive research on slot machine mechanics & the fastest slot machines I know of are called rapid-fire slots which are 3 seconds. How fast are your soot machines I asked? & nothing but complete silence. Then I said well my Royal Slot program can do > 7,200 games per hour & still just silence.

I swear I attempted to on the largest monologue about the program but then was cut off because they cared more about the games entertainment value than it's speed benefits, so then I needed to explain how there are a lot more benefits to the program then just entertainment value, for example my program will require less machine maintenance than a slot machine that is currently available on the market regardless of the hardware used. It was just 1 huge monologue after that with no interruptions.

In the end I literally begged them to spend time reviewing my work. I told them it's so easy to just spend 15 minutes reviewing someone's work when in actuality it needs a few hours. I even said if they didn't like Royal Slots than to please not hire me since I didn't want to work for a company that didn't appreciate my work. I ended it with saying that no matter what Royal Slots will be in a casino some day & that I have already spoken to several manufacturing companies who say they can make a cabinet & ditch the competition.

It sounds to me like you handled the interview terribly. I have hired many programmers and game designers and your approach doesn't seem like it would go well. hopefully you are mistaken and get the position.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
rdw4potus
December 7th, 2020 at 2:51:16 PM permalink
By the way, are you not familiar with the feature that lets almost all video slots stop instantly. It has been on most machines for many years.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
December 7th, 2020 at 3:07:49 PM permalink

I even said if they didn't like Royal Slots than to please not hire me since I didn't want to work for a company that didn't appreciate my work.

You need to seek out assistance from someone who can teach you how to interview properly because I would hire you after what you described either.

You lost the job before the above quote, but if anyone ever said that to me in an interview, it would be over right then and there. You insulted the people interviewing you. I guarantee you won't get the job.... and you shouldn't, frankly.
Mental
Mental
  • Threads: 13
December 7th, 2020 at 3:41:04 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

By the way, are you not familiar with the feature that lets almost all video slots stop instantly. It has been on most machines for many years.

I use it all the time. AGS and Aristocrat have it turned on by default I also know how to get there via the menus on the Ainsworth slots because many techs don't know where the control is buried.

Slot techs at MGM NH refused to set 'Stop Reels' for me. Their supervisor told me the MD law required them to get gaming enforcement involved to make the change to let me stop the reels.

In the late 1990's already, you could stop credit-win animation instantly for Bally's GameMaker video poker. It took IGT a long time to implement similar speed features.
This forum is more enjoyable after I learned how to use the 'Block this user' button.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 7th, 2020 at 4:20:30 PM permalink

It sounds to me like you handled the interview terribly. I have hired many programmers and game designers and your approach doesn't seem like it would go well. hopefully, you are mistaken and get the position.

You might be right, I'm extremely good at reading people's emotions & they didn't seem pleased. But I can say they seemed to really care about my work or else they wouldn't have brought it up immediately and then let me go on a fat monologue if they didn't care. My mom thought I handled the interview very well but her opinion doesn't mean much in this context :/
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 7th, 2020 at 4:25:24 PM permalink

Please share with me an example of a game? The only slot machines I'm aware of that can stop immediately have a significant start-up lag. My program is the only program I'm aware of that can start and stop immediately. The only reason why my program can do this is because it is a completely different redesign that uses no calculations!
teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 43
December 7th, 2020 at 4:34:33 PM permalink
I just want to share that a good friend was lead slot mathematician for IGT. She quit IGT and all her corporate work and started her own independent business and doubled her salary almost immediately. More than doubled, I should say. She taught and mentored me through slot analysis in its various iterations and I created slots for a few years independently for online casinos. I would view a job as a mathematician with IGT as entry-level grunt work. But any job these days is a good thing, I suppose.
Climate Casino: https://climatecasino.net/climate-casino/
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 7th, 2020 at 4:41:24 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

You need to seek out assistance from someone who can teach you how to interview properly because I would hire you after what you described either.

You lost the job before the above quote, but if anyone ever said that to me in an interview, it would be over right then and there. You insulted the people interviewing you. I guarantee you won't get the job.... and you shouldn't, frankly.

It's funny because I agree with everything you said except for the last part that I shouldn't get the job. See I know exactly how to interview people because I used to do it for a company but more importantly I have a bachelor's degree in business admin & a concentration in HR!

It's funny you say this because I wasn't trying to insult anyone! So All I simply said was that I wasn't aware of any slot machines that could currently operate as fast as mine, I never said he was wrong! I asked him directly how many games per hour can IGT's slots achieve & he said nothing. If he had said 7,200 I would have eaten my words right there & take back my claim of having the fastest slot machine. But it didn't happen & instead, I probably made the guy look bad in front of his colleagues without realizing it till later when I could read the body language. :(

Why do you think I don't deserve the job (when all I did was try and do the best job selling my game since that was all they cared about)? I think if I had not stood up for my work and just let them think I was trying to sell them on features they have already seen before that potentially could have made me look like a fool.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 7th, 2020 at 4:43:23 PM permalink
Quote: teliot

I just want to share that a good friend was lead slot mathematician for IGT. She quit IGT and all her corporate work and started her own independent business and doubled her salary almost immediately. More than doubled, I should say. She taught and mentored me through slot analysis in its various iterations and I created slots for a few years independently for online casinos. I would view a job as a mathematician with IGT as entry-level grunt work. But any job these days is a good thing, I suppose.

Yes completely agree with your analysis. I wouldn't be looking for work if the economy wasn't in the gutter. I've always wanted to make my success from my own efforts.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 7th, 2020 at 4:47:01 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Personally, I extend respect until someone shows they aren't worthy of it. This has caused me to be cheated and taken advantage of numerous times, but I think the world would be a better place if people were kinder to each other. I also tend to believe in karma -- You reap what you sow.

I really want to aspire to some of your values, especially this one. I just feel I can't do this because my life isn't in a position where I can afford to get stabbed in the back :/
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
December 7th, 2020 at 4:48:39 PM permalink

Please share with me an example of a game? The only slot machines I'm aware of that can stop immediately have a significant start-up lag. My program is the only program I'm aware of that can start and stop immediately. The only reason why my program can do this is because it is a completely different redesign that uses no calculations!

Good God, dude! You want to work in this industry? Walk into a casino occasionally.

Some folks will probably see a pattern here, but games that can stop without delay (off the top of my head):
Farmville
Buffalo diamond
Joe blow
Scarab
Hex breaker 3
Golden egypt
Fire link
Lightning link
Dragon link
Ocean magic
Harley davidson
Zuma
Wild pirates
Reef of riches
Magic of the nile
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 7th, 2020 at 4:58:12 PM permalink

Why would you want people you don't respect to wish you luck? You come across as very arrogant, which is the last thing I would be looking for in someone to join my team. Perhaps someday you will earn my respect and I'll wish you good luck, but that is not today.
You certainly seem to have some skills, but it's equally obvious you are missing some others.

Nobody said I wanted people to wish me luck??? Please stop making assumptions about me, I'm a rather complicated character & your not going to be able to categorize me into some model. I never assume I have anyone's respect, which is why I work hard to try and earn it from sharing my mind. But when you start accusing me of motives, you might as well start telling me what I'm thinking. This doesn't go strictly for you but for MANY MEMBERS of WoV.

To redirect and answer the correct question (which should be why do I have an option to wish me luck on my pole if I don't respect everyone - I wanted a pole to measure how likable I am on WoV & I think I got my answer which isn't very much.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
December 7th, 2020 at 4:59:54 PM permalink

It's funny because I agree with everything you said except for the last part that I shouldn't get the job. See I know exactly how to interview people because I used to do it for a company but more importantly I have a bachelor's degree in business admin & a concentration in HR!

It's funny you say this because I wasn't trying to insult anyone! So All I simply said was that I wasn't aware of any slot machines that could currently operate as fast as mine, I never said he was wrong! I asked him directly how many games per hour can IGT's slots achieve & he said nothing. If he had said 7,200 I would have eaten my words right there & take back my claim of having the fastest slot machine. But it didn't happen & instead, I probably made the guy look bad in front of his colleagues without realizing it till later when I could read the body language. :(

Why do you think I don't deserve the job (when all I did was try and do the best job selling my game since that was all they cared about)? I think if I had not stood up for my work and just let them think I was trying to sell them on features they have already seen before that potentially could have made me look like a fool.

Beyond the general attitude issues discussed in the thread, it seems like you missed the mark on the interview entirely.

Granted I didn’t read the job description, but it sounds like the position is for someone to handle the mathematical aspects of game design.

Yet you spent the entire interview trying to sell them on your own slot hardware/software?

IGE undoubtedly has mature slot hardware/software platforms that any game you’d be working on would be developed for.

They are looking for a mathematician, not someone who can only talk about redesigning their entire core product from the ground up.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 7th, 2020 at 5:00:36 PM permalink

I should think it would be easy to make a slot machine that could play at almost any speed, up to thousands and past thousands of games a second. However, would anybody play it? I don't think reviewing your work would have helped. It sounds to me like you rubbed them the wrong way with overconfidence.

I'd suggest watching the job interview scene from the Pursuit of Happiness.

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mNxBB6uKXc
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 7th, 2020 at 5:01:52 PM permalink

Good God, dude! You want to work in this industry? Walk into a casino occasionally.

Some folks will probably see a pattern here, but games that can stop without delay (off the top of my head):
Farmville
Buffalo diamond
Joe blow
Scarab
Hex breaker 3
Golden egypt
Fire link
Lightning link
Dragon link
Ocean magic
Harley davidson
Zuma
Wild pirates
Reef of riches
Magic of the nile

Just looked at farmville & I don't see how it it possible for the player to stop the reels immediately?

Buffalo Diamond? Are we talking about the same thing sir?
USpapergames
USpapergames
Thanked by
rdw4potus
December 7th, 2020 at 5:08:13 PM permalink

Cool! I guess my point is that you need to focus on those things and not use the Fortune line. Otherwise, they'll think you're also interviewing at (and maybe favor) MGM or Scientific Gaming or something.

I totally listened to your advice ;)
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
December 7th, 2020 at 5:09:31 PM permalink

Just looked at farmville & I don't see how it it possible for the player to stop the reels immediately?

Buffalo Diamond? Are we talking about the same thing sir?

Just push the spin button again? Or, wait, by "immediately" are you talking about position and not time? On any of those video slots, pushing the button mid-spin moves the game to the result without delay. But that may be very different than what was on the screen when the button was pushed.

Also, you just told Bill that you didnt ask people to wish you luck. It's literally the title of this thread...
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 7th, 2020 at 5:20:37 PM permalink

I have questions about this from a talent acquisition standpoint. I'm a hiring manager in the procurement and project management practice at a global engineering firm. We don't typically hire externally at the lead level. When it does happen, it's usually indicative of either a candidate with an incredible network or a period of internal weakness where the senior level (III) is also void or is staffed with a newly-promoted person/people. Does that same thing happen in the gaming industry?

95-110 is a tight range. I assume that's the position's hiring range? If so, it might be worth asking what the total band for the position is. If I was hired at 110 and the position's band was 95-115, I'd be worried about what happens when I hit the cap before there's a growth position available. I guess, likewise, if I were a younger professional, I'd be worried about getting hired at 100 and learning that the top of the position's range was 150 - would they want the incumbent to stay in this role for many years? Would I want to do that?

There is a huge difference in hiring a game designer over an engineer. As stated previously (also we have a member of the forum that is in this very position) it is very difficult to acquire lead game designers because many of them build such strong careers that employment seems to become inferior to independent projects. However, it is easy to find candidates for entry-level game design jobs but sadly I can't afford to take a huge step backward in my career since it's about building the reputation in the industry and not the money.

So to answer your questions, companies would love to lock down their lead designers to 10-year contracts but that would be breaking a lot of Better Business Bureau laws. Doesn't sound like your in the game design industry but if you are then I would say jump ship as soon as you have built the reputation.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 7th, 2020 at 5:23:59 PM permalink

Just push the spin button again? Or, wait, by "immediately" are you talking about position and not time? On any of those video slots, pushing the button mid-spin moves the game to the result without delay. But that may be very different than what was on the screen when the button was pushed.

Also, you just told Bill that you didnt ask people to wish you luck. It's literally the title of this thread...

Yes now, you're getting it!!!!! You can't immediately stop the reels when the player hits the stop button!!! You can speed up the reel spin time by hitting the still button but the reels need to get to the correct predetermined outcomes! My program is the only program where you can immediately stop the reels when the player hits the stop button!!!!!!!!
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
December 7th, 2020 at 5:34:04 PM permalink

There is a huge difference in hiring a game designer over an engineer. As stated previously (also we have a member of the forum that is in this very position) it is very difficult to acquire lead game designers because many of them build such strong careers that employment seems to become inferior to independent projects. However, it is easy to find candidates for entry-level game design jobs but sadly I can't afford to take a huge step backward in my career since it's about building the reputation in the industry and not the money.

So to answer your questions, companies would love to lock down their lead designers to 10-year contracts but that would be breaking a lot of Better Business Bureau laws. Doesn't sound like your in the game design industry but if you are then I would say jump ship as soon as you have built the reputation.

So as a hiring manager, you want to hire someone who can either start low and grow or who has experience but doesn't want to progress. In other words, develop a designer I who will show loyalty as a result of promotions over time, or hire someone who is happy to sit at III or IV without burning out or wanting to become a manager. Problem is that both types are hard to find. Junior folks jump firms to advance faster because they're not paid enough to be invested in the firms success. And senior folks either want to move up to management or get out and consult. So there's almost always more churn than is desirable.

Unless they're collectively bargained or for executives, contracts for direct employment in the USA don't have enforcable durations. And the better business bureau rates companies based on customer satisfaction & arbitrates disputes between companies and their customers.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
December 7th, 2020 at 5:37:25 PM permalink

Yes now, you're getting it!!!!! You can't immediately stop the reels when the player hits the stop button!!! You can speed up the reel spin time by hitting the still button but the reels need to get to the correct predetermined outcomes! My program is the only program where you can immediately stop the reels when the player hits the stop button!!!!!!!!

OK, but with video reels, it takes near-0 time to get to that position. Not even 0.3 seconds, let alone your 3 seconds. So your improvement may be visually prettier (it's jarring to watch the current situation), but not that much faster.
nighterfighter
nighterfighter
  • Threads: 1
Thanked by
rdw4potusCrystalMath
December 7th, 2020 at 5:57:33 PM permalink

So to answer your questions, companies would love to lock down their lead designers to 10-year contracts but that would be breaking a lot of Better Business Bureau laws.

The BBB doesn't make laws, and is not a governmental organization. That is akin to me saying "I would go eat a hamburger but that is against Subway's laws".

Regarding the rest of the thread: I was recently in 7 interviews, for a junior (level 1) and a staff (level 4) position, for engineering not game design, to be fair. We had 1 interviewee who was super knowledgeable, probably the best technical candidate. But they were so cocky, we all looked at each other afterwards and immediately said "no". We would all hate to work with them on a daily basis.

It's a balancing act of finding the right level of technical knowledge and interpersonal skills.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 7th, 2020 at 6:15:21 PM permalink

I get contacted all the time. I was even contacted by IGT for this position. This position, and any that I've been approached with, are a step back for me. If I were your age, I would have appreciated the opportunity.

I just want to say I'm very impressed with your desirability with the field. I hope 1 day I can same that same thing.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 7th, 2020 at 6:22:03 PM permalink

OK, but with video reels, it takes near-0 time to get to that position. Not even 0.3 seconds, let alone your 3 seconds. So your improvement may be visually prettier (it's jarring to watch the current situation), but not that much faster.

Why does everyone want to make assumptions instead I just asking the creator? No slot machine to date can start and stop immediately because a slot machine needs to cycle through all 1000 rng number sequences before the player can start a new game or else the player could just hit the button repeatedly & the program would stop on the same number sequence everyone which would be the 1st number sequence that the rng generated! No traditional slot program can start and stop immediately accept mine & the original barrel drum machines lol.

If you were correct then slot machines should be able to complete a game in .3 seconds which isn't even close to the fastest slot machine time. My program can do .3 seconds & id be willing to bet my life on it! But let's not forget that there are several other advantages to my program!!!!!
DRich
DRich
December 7th, 2020 at 6:24:34 PM permalink

So to answer your questions, companies would love to lock down their lead designers to 10-year contracts but that would be breaking a lot of Better Business Bureau laws.

What laws? Have you not heard of contracts?
  • Jump to: