1 vote (7.69%)
8 votes (61.53%)
6 votes (46.15%)

13 members have voted

USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 18
December 6th, 2020 at 11:18:26 AM permalink
I have a 2nd interview tomorrow with IGT for the position of Game Mathematician IV which is their lead game designer position which also offers their highest salary of 95-110k.

CLICK HERE to watch my latest video update where I talk about the job opportunity.

Last edited by: USpapergames on Dec 6, 2020
Math is the only true form of knowledge
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 306
December 6th, 2020 at 1:49:50 PM permalink
well, we know you're not superstitious. This is the last thing I'd ever do for a job I don't have yet, and fearing putting a jinx on myself might be the least of it

Wish you well? sure, good luck
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 4:33:27 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

well, we know you're not superstitious. This is the last thing I'd ever do for a job I don't have yet, and fearing putting a jinx on myself might be the least of it

Wish you well? sure, good luck

Thank you, no defiantly not superstition...Altho I did wait till the day before the interview to post this ;)
CrystalMath
CrystalMath 
  • Threads: 8
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKintrdw4potusodiousgambit
December 6th, 2020 at 4:37:10 PM permalink
Why would anyone expect you to lie? It's your own self importance that makes you think that people wouldn't trust you.

Don't let your hubris get in the way. If you treat the mathematicians at IGT like you treat the people here, you won't last too long.

You're clearly a smart guy, but it doesn't matter if you can't get along with people.

I turn down opportunities like this all the time (Including this one). You know you're in a good spot when you don't give a $#1+ who's knocking on your door.

You're a young guy, and still have time to learn how to respect people.

IGT pumps out a lot of garbage. Don't beat yourself up if a game fails, because it's not all on you.
I heart Crystal Math.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1365
Thanks for this post from:
CrystalMath
December 6th, 2020 at 5:10:03 PM permalink
I wish you success with the interview process. That would have been the perfect job for me when I was your age. If you do get the job, I would recommend lowering the cockiness a bit and "know your place" for at least the first year.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 5:54:54 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

Why would anyone expect you to lie? It's your own self importance that makes you think that people wouldn't trust you.

Don't let your hubris get in the way. If you treat the mathematicians at IGT like you treat the people here, you won't last too long.

You're clearly a smart guy, but it doesn't matter if you can't get along with people.

I turn down opportunities like this all the time (Including this one). You know you're in a good spot when you don't give a $#1+ who's knocking on your door.

You're a young guy, and still have time to learn how to respect people.

IGT pumps out a lot of garbage. Don't beat yourself up if a game fails, because it's not all on you.

Thank you for the advice. I think I need to make somethings clear so that everyone can understand my character better instead of making assumptions about my professionalism.

1) I think there are plenty of people here that think I'm all talk but I definitely have the skills to pay the bills & backup what I say & I will basically go any distance to prove this on WoV. That is why I thought it might be necessary to prove this but you're correct in that I should have some credibility by now but I promise I don't have high self-esteem but it's more like I need to prove my skills to myself and the best way I know how to do that is by challenging myself. That's why I come off so self-empowered because I want someone to dethrone me which would just push me even harder to obtain success. And what is success? To be one of the best game designers & the world's expert on combinatorial probabilities. So if your goal is also to do the same then you're going to have to dethrone me to take the crown.

2) There is a huge difference in how I treat people on a professional level than on a personal level. No matter what I'm going to have respect for any colleague because I work with them & you don't get to choose who you work for when your an employee. Also even if the colleague hates you they aren't going to jeopardize their job to ridicule you, however here I have been made fun of plenty of times by strangers. Everyone gives respect differently & with me, you have to earn it, regardless of who you are unless we will be conducting business together (in which they have probably already earned my respect).

3) I'm not going to lie that it can be very difficult for me to get along with others. However, when it comes to tasks, I am extremely easy to get along with. No joke, it would be much easy getting along with a group of people if we were all working on a project than if we were all at a bar making small talk. Context in relationships real matters & WoV members have only had 1 form of relationship with me & that's as a casual commenter. Do you guys really think I act the same way with everyone in the same context? Do you think I would talk to a girlfriend the way I talk on here? I'm trying to make a reputation for myself as the "shit" in the gaming industry and I can't do it by not promoting my skills. I spent too many years afraid to ever mention the skills or research life acquired for fear someone would out due my work. But now I don't think anyone can & yet it's been year's & I'm still not famous yet. Does any of this make sense???

4) So you have been offered a lead game design job from a fortune 500 company before?

5) You might be right that any of these large-scaled game successes can't fully be my responsibility but sadly I will still feel responsible for any losses. Realistically this job could depress me if everyone thinks I'm doing a great job but the games are selling well. The entire point of getting this job is to build my portfolio for digital games because I have only 1 digital game & it's still not published because of bugs (which should be resolved any day now).
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 6:05:41 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I wish you success with the interview process. That would have been the perfect job for me when I was your age. If you do get the job, I would recommend lowering the cockiness a bit and "know your place" for at least the first year.

Thank you, I would hope you'd know my professionalism better than anyone WoV member since you have seen my behavior from the cutting edge table game conference ;)
Ace2
Ace2 
  • Threads: 23
December 6th, 2020 at 6:16:05 PM permalink
Good luck. I tried to get a job with IGT about ten years ago...I had a recruiter that had some connections there but nothing panned out.
It’s all about making that GTA
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 6th, 2020 at 6:21:37 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Good luck. I tried to get a job with IGT about ten years ago...I had a recruiter that had some connections there but nothing panned out.

Thank you so much, I have no connections & haven't had a job since 2014 yet I got this 2nd interview!
CrystalMath
CrystalMath 
  • Threads: 8
December 6th, 2020 at 6:23:15 PM permalink
Quote: USpapergames

Thank you for the advice. I think I need to make somethings clear so that everyone can understand my character better instead of making assumptions about my professionalism.

1) I think there are plenty of people here that think I'm all talk but I definitely have the skills to pay the bills & backup what I say & I will basically go any distance to prove this on WoV. That is why I thought it might be necessary to prove this but you're correct in that I should have some credibility by now but I promise I don't have high self-esteem but it's more like I need to prove my skills to myself and the best way I know how to do that is by challenging myself. That's why I come off so self-empowered because I want someone to dethrone me which would just push me even harder to obtain success. And what is success? To be one of the best game designers & the world's expert on combinatorial probabilities. So if your goal is also to do the same then you're going to have to dethrone me to take the crown.

I made no assumptions. I said that you need to treat people better than you treat people here. The way you treat people here is no secret.

Quote:

2) There is a huge difference in how I treat people on a professional level than on a personal level. No matter what I'm going to have respect for any colleague because I work with them & you don't get to choose who you work for when your an employee. Also even if the colleague hates you they aren't going to jeopardize their job to ridicule you, however here I have been made fun of plenty of times by strangers. Everyone gives respect differently & with me, you have to earn it, regardless of who you are unless we will be conducting business together (in which they have probably already earned my respect).

3) I'm not going to lie that it can be very difficult for me to get along with others. However, when it comes to tasks, I am extremely easy to get along with. No joke, it would be much easy getting along with a group of people if we were all working on a project than if we were all at a bar making small talk. Context in relationships real matters & WoV members have only had 1 form of relationship with me & that's as a casual commenter. Do you guys really think I act the same way with everyone in the same context? Do you think I would talk to a girlfriend the way I talk on here? I'm trying to make a reputation for myself as the "shit" in the gaming industry and I can't do it by not promoting my skills. I spent too many years afraid to ever mention the skills or research life acquired for fear someone would out due my work. But now I don't think anyone can & yet it's been year's & I'm still not famous yet. Does any of this make sense???

I don't know you enough to know. To treat a random stranger with contempt shows a lack of character, in my opinion.

Quote:

4) So you have been offered a lead game design job from a fortune 500 company before?

I get contacted all the time. I was even contacted by IGT for this position. This position, and any that I've been approached with, are a step back for me. If I were your age, I would have appreciated the opportunity.

Quote:

5) You might be right that any of these large-scaled game successes can't fully be my responsibility but sadly I will still feel responsible for any losses. Realistically this job could depress me if everyone thinks I'm doing a great job but the games are selling well. The entire point of getting this job is to build my portfolio for digital games because I have only 1 digital game & it's still not published because of bugs (which should be resolved any day now).

It is depressing, but you only provide the math, not the whole experience. Games are about graphics, sounds, and math, all put together in a way to evoke a certain emotion. Without any one working right, it won't work. People who think it's all the math, just imagine a black box with a button and your math and then tell me how many people will play that game.
I heart Crystal Math.

• Jump to: