mrsuit31
mrsuit31
  • Threads: 82
November 24th, 2010 at 2:53:32 PM permalink
I just wanted to wish everyone a happy thanksgiving. Since i have been active on this forum i have been given lots great feedback and advice from several people! I just want to say thank you to all, and i hope you all enjoy the holiday with your families!!!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 24th, 2010 at 3:32:29 PM permalink
Quote: mrsuit31

I just wanted to wish everyone a happy thanksgiving. Since i have been active on this forum i have been given lots great feedback and advice from several people! I just want to say thank you to all, and i hope you all enjoy the holiday with your families!!!

I'll second that to all, even those whom I have blocked. All-in-all this has been a supportive board.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
November 24th, 2010 at 6:06:54 PM permalink
Yes, Brent,
Happy Thanksgiving! Family time! A day off! (Actually, it's my regular schedule to be off on Thursdays! But good!)
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
November 24th, 2010 at 6:40:42 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Yes, Brent,
Happy Thanksgiving! Family time! A day off! (Actually, it's my regular schedule to be off on Thursdays! But good!)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! (No holidays off for me. Oh well. Should be a very slow night. )
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 24th, 2010 at 11:20:08 PM permalink
Remember my regrets at having been invited to the daughters again for the holiday because she poisoned me last year? She called tonight in a panic and told my wife she forgot to thaw the turkey and it has to go in the oven in 12 hours. My wife said to thaw it in the sink with cold water, a process I've use and it won't be thawed in 12 hours, I know that for sure. There is no way it won't be raw in the middle again this year. Sigh.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Martin
Martin
  • Threads: 8
November 25th, 2010 at 2:09:13 AM permalink
We grin and bear it - first - the wife doesn't cook like the mom and then the daughter doesn't cook like the wife. A little Pepto takes care of all ills.

Remember on this day of thanks that there is more to it than a big meal especially for those of us still on the "green side of the sod."

To you and yours I wish everyone a very pleasant day.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 25th, 2010 at 4:37:43 AM permalink
So far, folks I am running into these days are far, far from any holiday spirit, worst I've seen in a while. I'm hoping some universal reflection on this T-day will help turn that around. So to you and yours the best.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
November 25th, 2010 at 10:56:18 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Remember my regrets at having been invited to the daughters again for the holiday because she poisoned me last year? She called tonight in a panic and told my wife she forgot to thaw the turkey and it has to go in the oven in 12 hours. My wife said to thaw it in the sink with cold water, a process I've use and it won't be thawed in 12 hours, I know that for sure. There is no way it won't be raw in the middle again this year. Sigh.

Dare I suggest that you could head this problem off at the pass by participating in the cooking process yourself in some way....NAAAAAAH!

There are two fixes for an insufficiently thawed turkey. One is to microwave the damn thing on "low" or "defrost" setting. Unlike conventional thawing, this thaws the turkey from the inside out. Of course, this requires a pretty big microwave, and there's a danger of prematurely cooking the turkey rather than just thawing it.

The other fix is really nineteenth-century, but it works. Take a bunch of those poultry skewers--the kind you use to thread through the opening to the organ cavity to seal it back shut after you've removed the giblets--and jab them into the turkey, all around its circumference. Then cook as normal for about an hour, and remove the skewers and finish cooking. The skewers will conduct the heat into the interior of the bird and finish thawing it.

Neither of the above is a perfect solution, but it beats food poisoning and/or an unevenly cooked turkey.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 25th, 2010 at 11:10:21 AM permalink
Happy Thanksgiving, Americans.

I'm enjoying it by watching a Lions game that isn't a turkey shoot by half time. And working from my sofa as it's a snowy day here, which is definitely unseasonal. I must save my dollars to make a trip to Ford Field in the next few years. And The Joe Louis.

Though not if Kid Rock is playing at half time....
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 25th, 2010 at 12:30:20 PM permalink
Ahhh, this is more what I expect... :)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
November 25th, 2010 at 1:13:29 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Sorry to hear about that EvenBob. I hope that the hospital nearby is well equipped. Gee whiz though. I would have called well ahead and told your daughter (on Monday) to make sure the turkey was taken out of the freezer. My turkey's been in for 45 minutes now... looking forward to the meal!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 25th, 2010 at 5:54:45 PM permalink
Everyone seemed to live thru it, I ate my share a few others share as well. I had to do nothing but eat, thats as it shoud be. No cooking, no clean up, just go, eat, pass out for 90min. Its good to be the King..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
inap
inap
  • Threads: 12
November 25th, 2010 at 8:30:41 PM permalink
Happy Thanksgiving to All.

great Saints vs Cowboys game!

• Jump to: