Thread Rating:

AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 113
August 6th, 2020 at 4:32:57 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Thatís not how life works. People have opinions on a myriad of subjects that they are not experts on. Read, say, EVERY thread on this forum. As you know, I AM a doctor, but not an expert on COVID-19. Iíd say some (darkoz) have done a lot of research on specific drugs and despite not having any medical training knows more about them than I do. Iíve treated SVT emergently many times during my career, but it is possible you have done enough research to know more than I do, as you have had it for 40 years. You give each personís opinion the weight YOU feel is appropriate. And of course it varies by subject. If our host posts on a complex flaw in a slot machine that can be taken advantage of, Iím all ears. If he posts a new technique for picking up women, it falls on deaf ears!

So here we have a website that bans political discussion but giving medical advice is okay.

Go figure?

Carry on.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 261
August 6th, 2020 at 5:47:36 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

So here we have a website that bans political discussion but giving medical advice is okay.

Go figure?

Carry on.

Alan,

You were away during the politics discussion here but those threads became extremely vitriolic to the point the Mods would have ended up suspending half the regular posters for rule violations.

There is none of the bashing of other posters allowed here that other forums seem not to care about.

So they finally banned political discourse

I don't foresee medical discussion going to that extreme.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 48
Thanks for this post from:
SOOPOO
August 6th, 2020 at 6:58:13 AM permalink

Go figure?

Carry on.

Plus the site winds up banning political posts during the greatest life/death event in modern U.S. history and the greatest political event in U.S. history.

Can you imagine banning "political discourse" after 9/11?

I mean, really, every aspect of life right now is political to a significant extent. Hell, medical advice has become largely "political," so may as well limit it as well.

And, from a journalistic perspective, and a simply logical perspective, here's the main problem:

If being "political" can save lives, then being ostensibly "non-political" costs lives. Pretty simple. Do you want a forum to save lives or cost lives?

If this is a math and science based site and forum, then whether it wants to or not, it exists at a particular point on the political continuum. Many in power are using non-scientific principles to arrive at recommended policies, which puts them in direct conflict with the espoused priorities of this site/forum. You can try to sidestep the anti-science, but if this is a science-based site, you really can't. If you simply accede to anti-science out there in "political-land," and you don't push back, that in itself is a political act. You're subordinating to the anti-science.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
August 6th, 2020 at 7:25:37 AM permalink

Go figure?

Carry on.

There's a difference between professional advice and layperson opinion. Both are fine in their own context.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
August 6th, 2020 at 8:07:02 AM permalink
Alan,

You're more full of shit and pretentious than usual. Lose the smug.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 261
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
August 6th, 2020 at 8:43:09 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Alan,

Welcome to VCT.

Oops, sorry wrong site.

Welcome to your vacation from WOV
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 113
August 6th, 2020 at 9:32:31 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Alan,

I had always thought this was a better forum.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 47
August 6th, 2020 at 9:57:12 AM permalink

I had always thought this was a better forum.

It's a different forum: One where Keyser gets a 3 day time out.
Whether that makes it better or worse is moot.
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
August 6th, 2020 at 11:13:04 AM permalink

Go figure?

Carry on.

Let's not forget being able to shill pink sheet stocks.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
August 6th, 2020 at 11:16:12 AM permalink
Quote: redietz

Plus the site winds up banning political posts during the greatest life/death event in modern U.S. history and the greatest political event in U.S. history.

Can you imagine banning "political discourse" after 9/11?

I mean, really, every aspect of life right now is political to a significant extent. Hell, medical advice has become largely "political," so may as well limit it as well.

And, from a journalistic perspective, and a simply logical perspective, here's the main problem:

If being "political" can save lives, then being ostensibly "non-political" costs lives. Pretty simple. Do you want a forum to save lives or cost lives?

If this is a math and science based site and forum, then whether it wants to or not, it exists at a particular point on the political continuum. Many in power are using non-scientific principles to arrive at recommended policies, which puts them in direct conflict with the espoused priorities of this site/forum. You can try to sidestep the anti-science, but if this is a science-based site, you really can't. If you simply accede to anti-science out there in "political-land," and you don't push back, that in itself is a political act. You're subordinating to the anti-science.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of goodwill to do nothing.

• Jump to: