Thread Rating:

kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 190
Thanks for this post from:
OnceDearArmageddenMinty
July 28th, 2020 at 8:41:11 PM permalink
I debated all day whether to make this post and share my new developments. I know there are those on hate forums (that monitor this forum) that will call me names and hope for the worst, but I can't be bothered with that right now. Wizard referenced that I had recovered from covid during his interview with one of his female friends, who also went through a covid illness. And I have referenced it a couple times since then, thinking that I had completely put this virus behind me. I found out today, that I have not.

Just a brief 'bring up to date'. I had covid for most of the month of April. Two different moderate waves, each lasting a week to 10 days. Very typical symptoms, fever, although not extremely severe, aches all over my body, chest pain and pressure, and probably my worst symptom, extreme fatigue. While I had symptoms for the better part of a month, my worst chest pains and discomfort (felt like squeezing) really only lasted for a few nights, during each wave.

So by early May, I was feeling some better, actually ALOT better, almost everything was gone except the fatigue. I tested negative for the virus and positive for antibodies, which was supposed to have meant recovery. But the fatigue remained. And to be clear what we are talking about, I sleep 10-12 hours a day, when 7-8 is normal. I fall asleep almost as soon as I sit down in front of the TV. I get winded walking down a few flights of steps. I am in my mid to late 30's, in good shape, not overweight and never had any of these issues prior. I have had 2 heart valve replacement surgeries, which does put me in the higher risk group despite my age.

So the fatigue issue never went away, but everything else did. Just the damn fatigue remained, until last week, when I started having some more symptoms which seemed to be identical to April. Headaches, fever, body aches, especially in the evening and the continuing fatigue. So my doctor retested for Covid and it came back negative. Yesterday I had a scan of my heart and lungs and while my lungs are clear (good news), there is moderate inflammation around my heart. This is a long-term effect of covid, causing blood clots in some patients. Mine is not severe, so I am not in the hospital, just taking some heart anti-inflammatory medication for now. This inflammation is likely the cause of my current chest pressure, not lungs which I feared and again is good news. It is likely the cause or contributing to my ongoing fatigue issues as well.

I am not looking for sympathy or well wishes, I am going to be fine and going to do whatever I need to do, to eventually get back to my Vegas life, that I cherished so much. I write this only as a warning! As I have been saying this virus is new and it is nasty. It effects different people in different ways and can effect all different organs. Doctors and scientists are only beginning to understand this virus and it's destructive power. For those that want to scream "pre-existing condition" and healthy people aren't at risk, almost half of all Americans have some sort of pre-existing medical condition. Some more severe than others.

I promise you I will eventually beat this virus completely and take my life back, so please don't anyone feel bad for me. I have great medical doctors. I just implore each of you to not take this virus lightly. And if you are minimizing it for political reasons.....DON'T! This virus doesn't care about anybody's politics. Just do what you need to do to stay safe and keep your family safe. If one person heeds that advise this thread will be worth it to me.
rsactuary
rsactuary 
  • Threads: 17
July 28th, 2020 at 10:27:16 PM permalink
I wish you well and a speedy recovery. Did your doctor recommend taking a blood thinner to prevent blood clots while you're in this phase?

I am not a doctor, but I would highly suggest you talk to yours about it until this passes.

Again, best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson 
  • Threads: 92
Minty
July 28th, 2020 at 10:43:55 PM permalink
I wish you well.

This is why the debate over Covid is more than about deaths. I'm tired of those who say you only have a tiny chance of dying. They ignore the toll of being sick.

It's no fun being sick.
kewlj
kewlj
Armagedden
July 28th, 2020 at 11:35:51 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

This is why the debate over Covid is more than about deaths.

Yes, it is. There is also the question of timing. Some viruses don't leave the body. People recover but the virus remains. Think about herpes, or HIV. These viruses can be controlled but they remain in the body. There are medications that can get HIV viral levels down to an undetectable amount, but the virus is still there, able to flare up again. Even Chicken Pox virus remains in the body for the entire life.

This virus has been around for 6 months, 4 in this country. Anyone telling you what the longterm situation is, is quite simply guessing. In the cases of scientists, it may be an educated guess based on behavior similarities of other viruses, but it is still a guess.

So my concern is that things like heart valves as well as many other conditions are very sensitive to viruses and infections. So if this virus can lay dormant for a period and who knows, months, years, it could then flair up and damage or destroy a previously damaged or replaced heart valve. And I am just using my condition as an example. There are many other conditions that are sensitive and vulnerable to viruses.

So my point is that the "toll" in deaths or serious complications, can't be measured today. The real toll could take years to accumulate. But deniers or people that are minimizing this virus for whatever reason, don't want to hear that.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson 
  • Threads: 92
July 29th, 2020 at 12:15:16 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Some viruses don't leave the body.

You're absolutely correct about this.

As you know I had a combination kidney and pancreas transplant about 13 years ago. I'm susceptible to all kinds of infections because of the anti rejection drugs I take.

Early in 2019 I was hospitalized three times for infections. After the first two hospitalizations they thought a couple of days of IV antibiotics did the job.

But during the third hospitalization the doctors realized I needed 30 days of IV antibiotics to get the bug that was hiding in my body between flareups. Luckily i had the IV infusions at home with a visiting nurse and it only took 30 minutes each morning. Same nurse every day for 30 days.

That extended treatment worked. But it took them a while to figure it out.

(And the nurse was a cutie.)
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 10
July 29th, 2020 at 5:47:20 AM permalink
Without long term data, you cannot claim to know long term consequences for a new virus. It really is that simple.

If people are claiming covid-19 has few long term consequences, they are arguing from a position of zero long term data. In addition, since having had it once does not necessarily convey long term immunity, there could be cumulative effects from getting it multiple times.

What you will see in the weeks ahead are more and more high priced athletes opting out of the sports seasons. They and their agents are making decisions based on both the best available medical advice and what they do NOT know about the virus.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 38
July 29th, 2020 at 8:46:49 AM permalink
Best wishes. I am sorry to hear of this. I wish you well and a complete recovery.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 10
July 29th, 2020 at 9:58:58 PM permalink
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/29/health/covid-19-brain-effects-wellness/index.html

The above addresses possible long-term issues.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 232
July 30th, 2020 at 10:39:16 AM permalink
KJ

Hope you get better.

Leronlimab is being trialed on "Long-haulers" like yourself.

So there is hope down the line.

Depending on where you are maybe you can enroll in one of their trial sites
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
kewlj
kewlj
gordonm888
July 30th, 2020 at 11:58:39 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

KJ

Hope you get better.

Thank you.

Quote: darkoz

Leronlimab is being trialed on "Long-haulers" like yourself.
So there is hope down the line.
Depending on where you are maybe you can enroll in one of their trial sites

I hope you won't mind if I favor the advice and treatment of my hand picked highly regarded physicians over a guy on the internet "touting" medical advice because he has a financial interest in the stocks.

• Jump to: