Thread Rating:

unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 13
May 12th, 2020 at 11:23:53 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm not saying it is the case in this situation, but one of the methods used by pump and dumpers is to take over ownership/management of a company with a steady stock price for years, create a buzz about a new product and have potential clients look at the old track record of the stock. There was a brokerage on Long Island that employed a number of my friends which it turned out did little but pump and dump small companies. They all knew what they were doing but at the time the commission levels were insane. At a regular firm, you were expected to reach quotas and you might get a yearly bonus based on how well you did. This firm only sold over the counter stocks and you could make up to a twenty-five percent commission. Bring in $100,000 in new revenue and you got an immediate $25,000 bonus. When you have your twenty-five year old employees all driving Porsches, it's a hell of a recruiting pitch.
Few people go broke by appealing to mans greed.

Sounds like the plot of Wolf of Wall St.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 171
May 12th, 2020 at 12:07:16 PM permalink
Belfort used to recruit out of local gyms and bars. His guys used to hang out at the bars by the Mineola and Great Neck train station, size up potential brokers and show them their paystubs. Given a choice of commuting by train into Manhattan for $35,000 or working in the neighborhood for $150,000, many of my friends went to work for him. Oakmont went from ten or so employees to a couple hundred in maybe two years. They also churned employees like crazy. A number of my friends ended up in rehab, which wasn't all that common at the time.
I tried to get an interview with them but didn't pass muster. I did get in on a few of their offerings but didn't like the high-pressure tactics and bailed pretty quickly. To be fair, some people I know had a number of home runs from the firm, but most got skinned.
In addition to promoting shady stocks, they also churned accounts.
In real life, a couple of Newsday's reporters heard rumors about the shop, did a long investigation followed by a blistering expose, and only afterward did the Feds do anything about it.

BTW- the movie is based on Belforts biography, and is not nearly as interesting as the book.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
May 12th, 2020 at 12:56:05 PM permalink
I am in the belief ETFs are in a bubble. There is too much buying of garbage within them. Warren Buffett didn't put a penny in this year into the market, yet, so think about that. That's the one thing which drives me crazy is seeing stocks rise which shouldn't be rising. We're going to be seeing less borrowing for these companies, less stock buybacks, less investing from baby boomers and more divesting. One of the things I have seen is the US stock market is an exception to other world markets which have never recovered or have moved sideways forever. I do agree in being diversified, in being long term in stocks, you pretty much have to make up your mind and not watch the stock price too much. It really gets to me how every stock seems interconnected to be honest. Almost doesn't matter which stock you look at, so many down and recovering at the same time. In other words, this is all wise advise from yesterday, buying ETFs.

Added: on top of this, I realize what the fake news is all about. Fake news tricks the public to believe what our lords want us to believe. If they post the wrong words, the high frequency trading programs sell and influence the public. You can tell by the words being used in these articles. The SPY dropped 2% in a total sell off, and I see an article saying it was because of jitters and not fear. I think that's an important distinction.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 171
May 12th, 2020 at 1:08:52 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I am in the belief ETFs are in a bubble. There is too much buying of garbage within them. Warren Buffett didn't put a penny in this year into the market, yet, so think about that. That's the one thing which drives me crazy is seeing stocks rise which shouldn't be rising. We're going to be seeing less borrowing for these companies, less stock buybacks, less investing from baby boomers and more divesting. One of the things I have seen is the US stock market is an exception to other world markets which have never recovered or have moved sideways forever. I do agree in being diversified, in being long term in stocks, you pretty much have to make up your mind and not watch the stock price too much. It really gets to me how every stock seems interconnected to be honest. Almost doesn't matter which stock you look at, so many down and recovering at the same time. In other words, this is all wise advise from yesterday, buying ETFs.

Assuming everything you said is correct, where do you invest?
Individual stocks?
Rental properties? I can only imagine what highly leveraged landlords are going through right now?
Are ETFs the perfect place for new investors? Probably not, but in my opinion, they are the best.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
May 12th, 2020 at 1:22:51 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Assuming everything you said is correct, where do you invest?
Individual stocks?
Rental properties? I can only imagine what highly leveraged landlords are going through right now?
Are ETFs the perfect place for new investors? Probably not, but in my opinion, they are the best.

Beats the hell out of me. That's the whole point, Buffett isn't. He looks for value and didn't see any.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-04/michael-burry-explains-why-index-funds-are-like-subprime-cdos

Michael Burry was the guy who shorted mortgage loans.

You know it's funny, most of the "good advice" I think are just sales pitches. The number one assumption is stocks always go up, the stock market always goes up. They say it can't be timed, but Buffett does it. They make it seem like being random is the superior strategy and we have to know it's not true. Not true from a gambling perspective, that someone will beat you by accident with a lucky strategy. Nobody ever tries checking facts on these "truths" it seems. Who knows what is true, it seems the hedge funds we think are the masters of the universe are beaten by the market ETFs all the time for a long time.

I'm also adding the real estate market was a lot worse than what people believed before COVID became a reality, if what I read somewhere was true. There are a lot more foreclosures and defaults right now than people think. Apparently banks were just artificially keeping people out of default and foreclosure. There is a much bigger lot of available houses than people think.
Last edited by: onenickelmiracle on May 12, 2020
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 129
May 22nd, 2020 at 5:29:41 PM permalink
Well seems the stock held its own this week.

Moderna drug company had some good news ..... well great news for a few exec looking to grab some cash

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/investing/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-stock-sales/index.html
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 235
May 22nd, 2020 at 6:39:49 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

Well seems the stock held its own this week.

Moderna drug company had some good news ..... well great news for a few exec looking to grab some cash

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/investing/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-stock-sales/index.html

Thanks

If possible I would like to keep info on other drugs off this thread so as to avoid confusion

For any others confused Moderna has nothing to do with the drug in this thread title
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
darkoz
darkoz
May 25th, 2020 at 1:01:10 PM permalink
Latest from Albert Einstein school of medicine on Leronlimab for Covid-19

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-drug-treatment-severe-lung-inflammation.amp?__twitter_impression=true
darkoz
darkoz
May 25th, 2020 at 10:52:09 PM permalink
darkoz
darkoz
June 4th, 2020 at 1:21:02 PM permalink
Results of EIND (60) patients in this article which is very exciting

https://seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4352011-cytodyn-covidminus-19-crunch-time