rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 167
March 29th, 2020 at 2:30:53 PM permalink
Btw, did anyone see the story of the guy who carried 40 cellphones in a little wagon and google identified it as a traffic jam and routed traffic around him. Somewhat like that idea, only useful, not a stunt
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 30th, 2020 at 1:43:18 AM permalink
Might be a good trick for a chamber of commerce to employ to channel customers away from other towns.
rxwine
rxwine
March 31st, 2020 at 1:13:43 PM permalink
If I had a disposable paper mask I had to reuse, (and I don't have any masks}, I would probably put it in the microwave with a cup with a little bit of water and run it for a minute.

Better than just reusing without doing anything. You can do this with any cloth that doesn't have metal, if you have some reason to. If for some reason you don't have time to wash it.
rxwine
rxwine
March 31st, 2020 at 1:15:03 PM permalink
Not sure if you could or should microwave one of those n-95 masks. Never looked at one.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
March 31st, 2020 at 2:11:18 PM permalink
I have a germaphobe friend who says he microwaves used books to sanitize them.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
March 31st, 2020 at 5:27:50 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

What kind of precautions are you taking besides just washing your hands to help prevent Corona virus from infecting you? Today I rolled our shoes over and sprayed the bottoms of them with a bleach solution.

Any suggestions to keep the virus out of our houses?

As long as you take this for feel-good and nothing further. Self preservation ain't exactly my forte...

Tomorrow will be my 40th day of quarantine, a term I use loosely because I am an essential employee and also, apparently, live a life of quarantine as I find almost no measured difference in routine. That, of course (IMO) is the biggest step. It can't get in ya if you ain't there. That includes The Others. Don't be where they are, don't let them where you are.

Nearly anything that goes Out There goes through some sort of process upon returning. If it's non-essential, it sits outside. Packages, some groceries, there's very little you need, and even less that you need right now. I won't quote numbers I heard for Covid, but other variants of corona lasts up to 9 days, and I'm at that level of effort these days, like many here. So f#$% it. You can store the Cap'n Crunch next to the PB Blaster for a week because that's not gonna kill ya.

Has-to-go-in stuff gets ye olde wipe down. Milk jugs. Bread bags. Rub the brand name clean off. If the box is cardboard and can't, then it's not needed. I use straight alcohol.

Grocery is order and pick up. No going inside. No going in anywhere, unless you can be damn sure it's gonna be you and the shopkeep, and even then only if needed. Not "American" needed, not effing Maslow's needed, but food-water-shelter needed.

Get grimey when Out There. You sneeze, you cry, got eye boogers, crusty lip, you leave that s#$% there. That is Sink Work, no exceptions. And for the love of f#$%, keep alcohol on you at all times. It's midge and no-see-um season, and you're gonna take one to the eyeball. You're gonna need to get clean before you go digging for it.

Clothes gone Out There stay Out There. Strip in the garage, directly to the shower without touching a thing. If this is too much work, you're going out too gd much.

Consume nothing Out There. Not mints, not gum, not vegan Whoppers, no thing. You're not gonna desiccate in a day let alone 3 hours, leave the water at home. Fat bong rips in the man cave, sure. Cigs? Out of doors? Yer bleedin' mental.

Stop. Touching. Your face. Christ's sake. Mustache tickles? Shave it off. Bit your nails for 38yrs? Too gd bad. Shut it down!

The caveat, of course, is f#$% knows if any of this is actually working. Could just be luck of the draw that's kept me good for 40 days and nights. But I'm in the s#$%. Literally surrounded. Coworkers on quarantine, coworkers families on quarantine, indirectly contact about 1,700 Others a day and directly contact just a touch under 100. And I Ain't Dead Yet, #*%$#@!! If Red Devil means anything to you, you can understand the level of neurosis. But 40days later, we're ALL still breathing...
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
March 31st, 2020 at 5:51:46 PM permalink
The longer this goes, the less afraid I am. This is usually a joke, when they say you either win or you don't. but you either die(usually, there can be lasting lung damage). or you don't. Anyone susceptible with any high odds of dying, they're the ones which should be hermits, The rest of us should just take our chances and get it over with, a year to wait for a vaccine which might not work is too long. Approved treatments(which are safe and very effective) are too far away.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
AxelWolf
March 31st, 2020 at 6:26:27 PM permalink
Face, I am impressed. I totally expected the polar opposite from you. I thought you would be the rebel saying F this, I am going to live my way. I guess I really don't know much about you from 1000 posts.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 49
AxelWolf
March 31st, 2020 at 7:14:49 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Not sure if you could or should microwave one of those n-95 masks. Never looked at one.

If you google it, some university did a study and you can safely sterilize an N95 mask in a 160F oven for 30 mins
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
March 31st, 2020 at 8:44:26 PM permalink
I was going to say, I watched a doctor do his at 175°. Similar.

I have to suggest at least 165°, because that is the minimum temperature to kill bacteria in meat.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

• Jump to: