Thread Rating:

petroglyph
petroglyph
Joined: Jan 3, 2013
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 3345
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
May 4th, 2020 at 3:40:06 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I have a friend that makes a good middle class living, probably around $100k and he steals at the grocery store from the self serve checkouts. I just shake my head and can't imagine why he would do that. It disgusts me.

I appreciate your friend, thank him for me.

I always go to a checkout counter that has a checker, even if I have to wait in line and ten self serves are open.

Stores have come to me and shuttled me over to a self check out aisle and provided me a service checker, against my consternation.

I'd rather pay more for grocery's and help create a job for someone checking, especially if it's a union store.

Same thing in Oregon, I will drive over from Wash. just so some person has a job filling up my gas tank instead of paying the same price for gas in Wash. for self serve.

It is people that had to save 2 cents on a blouse that were the cause of offshoring our manufacturing base. Well, that and corporate government crony's that lobbyists bribed.
Joeman
Joeman
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 1857
May 4th, 2020 at 7:19:16 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Not without a RECEIPT they wouldn't. Not
$62.50 worth of produce. I couldn't find
the RECEIPT because I took too long to
look for it. It was a week before I realized
every avocado was bad. So I cut out the
middleman and just took what I deserved.

Been going to stores since 1965 when
I started driving. With things like meat
and produce they ALWAYS say go and
replace it and bring it to the counter
and we'll make it good. But you MUST
have the RECEIPT, which I did not.

Get it? Got it? GOOD!!!!!

NOPE!

Mrs. Joeman has gotten replacements without a receipt at Publix for years. You just gotta pick the right stores to shop at and they will work with you. The managers at Publix have a LOT of leeway, and will bend over backwards to keep their customers happy.

Good job with getting away with your petty larceny, though!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 425
  • Posts: 24291
May 4th, 2020 at 9:08:51 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Mrs. Joeman has gotten replacements without a receipt at Publix for years.



For $62 worth? No store is
going to take your word
for it and just replace the
produce. Why would they,
it's far too much money.
Certainly not the store I
was at and for sure not
Walmart. They have signs
that say no receipt not
refund. I got some bad fish
at Walmart last year and had
thrown out the receipt. I had
the empty Walmart package
and they still refused a refund.
And they know me at that store.
No receipt no refund period.

It's not petty larceny when
they owe it to me. I just did
what they would have told
me to do if I had a receipt.
Why should I eat $62.50
when I don't have to.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14230
Thanks for this post from:
Joeman
May 5th, 2020 at 5:29:17 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

For $62 worth? No store is
going to take your word
for it and just replace the
produce. Why would they,
it's far too much money.
Certainly not the store I
was at and for sure not
Walmart. They have signs
that say no receipt not
refund. I got some bad fish
at Walmart last year and had
thrown out the receipt. I had
the empty Walmart package
and they still refused a refund.
And they know me at that store.
No receipt no refund period.

It's not petty larceny when
they owe it to me. I just did
what they would have told
me to do if I had a receipt.
Why should I eat $62.50
when I don't have to.



FWIW...Joeman is correct about Publix. It's very likely, had you bought it there, if you simply brought the product in and showed them what was going on, they would replace any amount you claimed, with or without a receipt.

I have been a Publix customer nearly exclusively since 1997, and you would be shocked at what they are willing to do to make things right.

Another standard policy of theirs, for example, is that if the advertised or shelf price is different from the register price, you get it free if it rings up wrong. Doesn't matter if it's a hundred dollar side of ribeyes or a candy bar.

They will actively advise you at checkout if something's BOGO and you didn't get an even amount of them, and they will send the bagger to get it for you.

They are such a great chain (I recall I lauded them at length last year on DT, so I won't go on about it again) that my brother and SIL go there as a treat every time they come go Florida. They're that good.

They're so good they make it easy to boycott Walmart, now in my 22nd year of that.

They're so good, any quality search for customer satisfaction nationwide will list them 1st or 2nd among all grocery chains, and the same for employee satisfaction.

I'm lucky to have them nearby.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 3804
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
May 5th, 2020 at 6:44:37 AM permalink
Same goes for Wegman’s in the northeast, Babs. You will get a store credit without a receipt. I mean, who would go through all the trouble to bring back that stuff?

Also, with today’s technology they could probably go back and find the transaction. You did swipe your shoppers club card, didn’t you? Or was anonymity preferable to the benefits?
NO KILL I
Joeman
Joeman
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 1857
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
May 5th, 2020 at 7:33:56 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Same goes for Wegman’s in the northeast, Babs. You will get a store credit without a receipt. I mean, who would go through all the trouble to bring back that stuff?

Also, with today’s technology they could probably go back and find the transaction. You did swipe your shoppers club card, didn’t you? Or was anonymity preferable to the benefits?

No loyalty cards at Publix. As it should be. Unless there are no other options, I refuse to shop at a store where you don't get the best price unless you have a card.

As to Bab's point, almost all women I know will only shop at Publix. Well, at least up until the 'boutique' markets (Whole Foods/Fresh Market/Trader Joe's) started showing up, that is. They have always been a notch above. You may pay a bit more, but the customer service is worth it. Back in the day, they used to always bring your groceries out and put them in your car. I believe they will still do this today, but only upon request.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 31
  • Posts: 1468
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabsJoeman
May 5th, 2020 at 7:49:10 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

FWIW...Joeman is correct about Publix. It's very likely, had you bought it there, if you simply brought the product in and showed them what was going on, they would replace any amount you claimed, with or without a receipt.

I have been a Publix customer nearly exclusively since 1997, and you would be shocked at what they are willing to do to make things right.

Another standard policy of theirs, for example, is that if the advertised or shelf price is different from the register price, you get it free if it rings up wrong. Doesn't matter if it's a hundred dollar side of ribeyes or a candy bar.

They will actively advise you at checkout if something's BOGO and you didn't get an even amount of them, and they will send the bagger to get it for you.

They are such a great chain (I recall I lauded them at length last year on DT, so I won't go on about it again) that my brother and SIL go there as a treat every time they come go Florida. They're that good.

They're so good they make it easy to boycott Walmart, now in my 22nd year of that.

They're so good, any quality search for customer satisfaction nationwide will list them 1st or 2nd among all grocery chains, and the same for employee satisfaction.

I'm lucky to have them nearby.



I agree 100%

Publix is amazing. It is employee owned. They treat their people well and it shows. Their workers are actually happy to be there and eager to help and answer questions (very rare in many other stores).
(Also, have friends that work there at various levels from HR to store positions and they all love their jobs, it seems to be a very positive and progressive work environment with amazing pay and benefits compared to equivalent positions in other companies).

They also do many great things on the pharmacy side for public health side like provide completely free antibiotics to customers with a prescription (no charge to you or insurance) as well as some other common meds like some high blood pressure meds and diabetes meds. I can't think of a single other private pharmacy that offers so many meds for free for as long as you need (as long as you have a legit prescription).

I agree that they are by far the best in the grocery businesses (I would also add pharmacy business). And, I would also encourage everyone to support them.

I can't claim like you to have completely boycotted Walmart (sometimes its just more convenient, especially in times like this when delivery is needed).

Also, as for this thread one of the first companies to implement good protective measures during this crisis (glass screening for employees, social distancing guidelines by lines etc....)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 108
  • Posts: 7232
May 5th, 2020 at 8:17:55 AM permalink
people like Publix a lot.... until they shop at a Wegmans! The few times I have had to get a refund they just hand you the cash you ask for, barely even paying attention to what the problem was. But to be fair to Bob, it never approached $62. There is probably some limit ($25?) that the kid can just hand out before he has to ask for some proof.
Gandler
Gandler
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
  • Threads: 31
  • Posts: 1468
May 5th, 2020 at 8:44:04 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

people like Publix a lot.... until they shop at a Wegmans! The few times I have had to get a refund they just hand you the cash you ask for, barely even paying attention to what the problem was. But to be fair to Bob, it never approached $62. There is probably some limit ($25?) that the kid can just hand out before he has to ask for some proof.



They are in different regions, so you don't really have to choose between the two.

I have honestly never been in a Wegmans despite being in NJ most of my life. But, I know that many people love them so I am sure they are great.

But, I love Publix because of their employee-owned model. They have a lot of great programs. And, because it is a legitimately good company (you can sift the internet, talk to workers, talk to customers, and you will struggle to find a single negative thing about the company, they have not had a single layoff in their whole existence, and they are older than Walmart....).
(I mean don't get me wrong Publix also has great products, its not just the company I blindly love).
I don't know anything about Wegmans or their structure so I can't compare on that front either.
standbymyman
standbymyman
Joined: Feb 13, 2015
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 182
Thanks for this post from:
Forager
May 5th, 2020 at 8:51:26 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Not without a RECEIPT they wouldn't. Not
$62.50 worth of produce. I couldn't find
the RECEIPT because I took too long to
look for it. It was a week before I realized
every avocado was bad. So I cut out the
middleman and just took what I deserved.

Been going to stores since 1965 when
I started driving. With things like meat
and produce they ALWAYS say go and
replace it and bring it to the counter
and we'll make it good. But you MUST
have the RECEIPT, which I did not.

Get it? Got it? GOOD!!!!!




Screw those receipts. Even better, don't get receipts. You seem capable of stealing anything you need.

  • Jump to: