Thread Rating:

ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 96
March 29th, 2020 at 4:10:34 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

For some reason I am reminded of the decades-old movie of a Beverly Hills housewife and two daughters who are suddenly uprooted to rural Australia. The California kids have all these electronic devices for music-listening, the Australian kids play their own musical instruments, The Americans are dumbfounded to learn that the expensive diesel-generated power goes off at 8:00pm.

It is similar with the equipment and inclination for home baking and caning. We may have become to reliant on consumer packaged goods,

I have a breadmaker somewhere, but I pretty much never used it to bake bread; I couldn't get the bread just the way I wanted it, whereas I could get store-bought bread to my satisfaction quite easily. Pizza dough, and bagel dough for bagel dogs, on the other hand, I make myself with my stand mixer.

But what's "caning"? Sugar cane? Candy canes?
(House lightbulb moment) Do you, by any chance, mean canning? It's not called the Las Vegas (and Eastside) Canery, after all...
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
March 29th, 2020 at 5:38:00 PM permalink
Went to the store today... TP gone. Flour gone. Eggs gone, even the prepackaged stuff and Egg Beaters. Rice gone, but oddly still plenty of pasta. Tons of bread, no limit on purchase. Tons of milk, limit two per customer. Tons of meat. Frozen veggies very low. Vegetarian meat alternatives almost gone. Tons of produce.

Very few products in general are sold out or short, so that's good to see. Hopefully it stays that way whenever the peak hits, they extend lockdowns, and people start to panic a little more.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 29th, 2020 at 5:49:26 PM permalink
No pasta, but plenty of rice here. Even the tri color and chick pea pasta is finally gone.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 29th, 2020 at 6:14:31 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

But what's "caning"?

A punishment meted out to those who take issue with my 'hunt and peck' typing skills and utter lack of spelling skills.

I've recently been placed on a junk food diet by the quacks but I ain't got no transportation to the grocery store and now all these beans and lentils are verbotten and things like sugar and butter are back in vogue, so i'm binging on what little junk stuff I have in the larder and debating with myself justhow long I should embrace the quack's current whims.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 48
March 29th, 2020 at 6:35:45 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Went to the store today... TP gone. Flour gone. Eggs gone, even the prepackaged stuff and Egg Beaters. Rice gone, but oddly still plenty of pasta. Tons of bread, no limit on purchase. Tons of milk, limit two per customer. Tons of meat. Frozen veggies very low. Vegetarian meat alternatives almost gone. Tons of produce.

Very few products in general are sold out or short, so that's good to see. Hopefully it stays that way whenever the peak hits, they extend lockdowns, and people start to panic a little more.

I just got back and really the only thing out of stock was TP and BBQ sauce.

I did go to a Dollar General the other day and they had plenty of TP, and everything else.

Havenít seen hand sanitizer for almost a month now, though.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 425
April 4th, 2020 at 9:53:09 PM permalink
I heard 1 in 4 small businesses in the
country are closed. That means 75%
are open. How is this by any stretch
'shutting down the economy.'

Walmart letting in 5 people per
1000 sq ft of floor space? Average
WM superstore is 180K sq ft. Mine
is 110K. That's 500 people. There
isn't 500 people in my store the
last Fri before Xmas, let alone now.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
April 4th, 2020 at 10:02:25 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I must live in bubble suburbia. Where I live we can usually still get toilet paper and paper towels. Our local Menards almost always has it. Hand sanitizer is gone. Even though it's gone, along certain roads nail salons sell it and distilleries sell the stuff in two liter containers for about $20.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 4th, 2020 at 10:40:27 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I heard 1 in 4 small businesses in the
country are closed. That means 75%
are open. How is this by any stretch
'shutting down the economy.'

Walmart letting in 5 people per
1000 sq ft of floor space? Average
WM superstore is 180K sq ft. Mine
is 110K. That's 500 people. There
isn't 500 people in my store the
last Fri before Xmas, let alone now.

Yeah that's a very lax requirement for sure. A good portion of the store's footage isn't accessible to customer space.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 4th, 2020 at 11:16:52 PM permalink
I've been using Publix Home Delivery, so have not seen a store shelf in a long time.
MOWs is delivering 7 meals a week but usually only two days a week.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 39
April 5th, 2020 at 1:08:37 AM permalink
I bought toilet paper 7 weeks ago, and they've been out for the last 5 weeks. They're trying to fill in with a brand I've never seen before. Must be an emergency.

• Jump to: