Lovecomps
Lovecomps
Joined: Aug 12, 2018
  • Threads: 77
  • Posts: 422
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
February 5th, 2020 at 5:55:55 PM permalink
I was just in Vegas for the Super Bowl (I'll write a trip report if anyone's interested) and took a look at Circa through the Freemont Steet peepholes. Nobody was working on it since it was Super Bowl Sunday but it looked impressive.

I was wondering if anyone knows what demographic they'll be shooting for? You can't tell from thier website. His other property, The D, isn't for me- the crowd is way to young and the place is to loud.

I also have a theory that they'll be offering all sorts of promotions to get people inside when it opens in (theoretically) in December.

Any thoughts?
The best things in life are not free.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
  • Threads: 60
  • Posts: 582
February 5th, 2020 at 7:47:20 PM permalink
Sports oriented as the owner Derek Stevens is a known sports fan and bettor. The sports book supposed to be one of its kind. I listen to him and his right hand man Mike Palm weekly as they are regulars on VSIN. Based on from what I can tell, their core business model is all about their guest having a positive experience and focusing on customer service. Unlike many properties, Circa and The D is owned by Mr. Stevens. Any food outlet or restaurant will not be chains but owner operators because that’s their core business model. Customer service.

They have my business if I ever find myself needing a place to stay in Vegas.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 73
  • Posts: 6510
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
February 6th, 2020 at 9:55:55 AM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

Sports oriented as the owner Derek Stevens is a known sports fan and bettor. The sports book supposed to be one of its kind. I listen to him and his right hand man Mike Palm weekly as they are regulars on VSIN. Based on from what I can tell, their core business model is all about their guest having a positive experience and focusing on customer service. Unlike many properties, Circa and The D is owned by Mr. Stevens. Any food outlet or restaurant will not be chains but owner operators because that’s their core business model. Customer service.

They have my business if I ever find myself needing a place to stay in Vegas.



I still admire Derek Stevens since when he first bought into the Golden Gate. He would walk around the casino everyday introducing himself to players and asking about their experience. He would do that almost everyday. I have never seen any other casino owner do that and I consider that a very personal experience.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
  • Threads: 60
  • Posts: 582
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
February 6th, 2020 at 10:47:02 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I still admire Derek Stevens since when he first bought into the Golden Gate. He would walk around the casino everyday introducing himself to players and asking about their experience. He would do that almost everyday. I have never seen any other casino owner do that and I consider that a very personal experience.



He still hangs down at the Long Bar down at the D. Not only is he just one of the guys, he is an innovator. Only place where you can take out a marker, and use it for sports betting. They were also the 1st to guarantee 1 million for a football pool winner with no juice and payout quarterly winners too. Now the Westgate is doing the same with the quarterly payouts. Steve Wynn really was a key figure for the success for the strip. Mr. Stevens is responsible for revitalizing downtown Vegas, with no ego. He's just one of the guys. He knows what its like to be a bettor because he is one. This is why he has focused on customer service having a positive experience. I just hope his room prices won't be thru the roof and adding all those other fees that Vegas is known to do.
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 589
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
February 6th, 2020 at 11:08:18 AM permalink
Much respect for Derek. Hopefully his Circa is successful. He's a helluva lot active on his casino floor. The original founder of Station Casinos, Frank Fertitta Jr. would walk the floor of his casinos, introduce himself to players, see how everyone is doing, take an interest in his employees on a personal level. The sons who took over?....Frank III and Lorenzo. You'll never see them on any casino floor...and if they do happen to ever walk thru, they are surrounded by body guards and flunkies...unapproachable too. One will walk around with his nose up, the other looks at his feet.

Gotta love a hands on guy like Derek. He's involved in your experience. Old school.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Thanks for this post from:
TDVegas
February 6th, 2020 at 11:09:00 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I still admire Derek Stevens since when he first bought into the Golden Gate. He would walk around the casino everyday introducing himself to players and asking about their experience. He would do that almost everyday. I have never seen any other casino owner do that and I consider that a very personal experience.



Don't forget Jackie Gaughan at the El Cortez. Benny Binion's Horseshoe and Steve Wynn's Golden Nugget used to have owner's who'd manage by walking around. This was back in the day when customer service was personal, and meant more than getting an extra device logged on for your resort fee.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 175
  • Posts: 9770
February 6th, 2020 at 11:52:57 AM permalink
Don Laughlin did that for years. He'd pass thru around 5pm everyday, from what I understand.
Lovecomps
Lovecomps
Joined: Aug 12, 2018
  • Threads: 77
  • Posts: 422
February 6th, 2020 at 3:08:19 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I still admire Derek Stevens since when he first bought into the Golden Gate. He would walk around the casino everyday introducing himself to players and asking about their experience. He would do that almost everyday. I have never seen any other casino owner do that and I consider that a very personal experience.




I've never actually met the man myself. It still doesn't answer the original question: Who will Circa's target demographic be?
The best things in life are not free.
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 589
February 6th, 2020 at 8:11:34 PM permalink
Quote: Lovecomps

I've never actually met the man myself. It still doesn't answer the original question: Who will Circa's target demographic be?


My guess would be younger, sports minded and a few bucks in their pocket. My guess is room rates will be on the high end for Fremont street.

Fremont casinos tend to be a mix regardless. You’ll see the street bums wander into the casinos every so often, you’ll see the deep pocketed tourist as well. Downtown gets all kinds but, imo, can attract more of the “don’t need the strip luxury” crowd....whatever that means.

I’ve stayed in the Strip, downtown and everywhere in between. All have their positives and negatives.

Circa will be an interesting resort. The sports book and pool area look amazing.
Last edited by: TDVegas on Feb 6, 2020

  • Jump to: