billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 3rd, 2019 at 2:56:24 AM permalink
If you are looking to be challenged, look no further.
The Iceman challenge consists of a four and a half mile walk run that features eight steep staircases ranging from thirty steps up to one hundred and seventy five steps. All narrow and carved into the mountain. Not all have bannisters.
After this warm up, you get to grab a pair of old fashioned ice tongs, fish out a ten pound block of ice and carry it up a 155 step spiral stairway and sprint down a steep incredibly potholed winding road back to the finish. Extra points are given if you are a firefighter and wear full equipment.
The view from the top is spectacular, you can see miles in every direction.
Last edited by: billryan on Apr 3, 2019
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
April 3rd, 2019 at 1:00:44 PM permalink
The run is limited to 1,500 participants. I don't know about the ice block challenge.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 3rd, 2019 at 1:34:08 PM permalink
I think you have to finish in the top 100 of the race to do the challenge or be invited. I walked steps three, four, and five at separate times. Three is the longest, but four is more like climbing an inverted ladder than normal stairs. Being a mile up doesn't make breathing any easier.
I'm currently staying in a cottage near the top of Brewery Avenue, with a view to die for. By day you can see far into Mexico and at night there are more stars than sand at the beach.
Bisbee is a very cool town, but paying $200,000 for 1915 era miners shacks is nuts. One I looked at was on a 23 by 18 piece of property with the shack taking up 95% of the lot, was above Adams street so that means climbing a 130 steps to reach it and the guy was asking $950 a month for a long term lease. No AC, and a wood burning stove that served to heat the shack in winter.
I'm told running down the steep hill with the ice is harder than going up the stairs. The extra weight messes up your stride.
I'd love to see Mr Wizard do this. We should organize a trip to cheer him on.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
Thanked by
Ayecarumba
April 3rd, 2019 at 3:34:17 PM permalink
Any chance there is a potential government benefit, or a potential reduction in government benefits for being capable of doing this?

If so, obviously a few members here are interested/ disqualified.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
April 3rd, 2019 at 6:23:46 PM permalink
If the Wizard enters they should call the town Wizbee for that day
  • Jump to: