rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 173
December 15th, 2018 at 11:48:43 AM permalink
You could privatize the VA. Guess who comes out against it? Most of the veterans who use it.

See the first sentence on the VA site itself. More veterans are "scared" they are going to be privatized.

Quote:

There is no effort underway to privatize VA, and to suggest otherwise is completely false and a red herring designed to distract and avoid honest debate on the real issues surrounding Veteransí health care.

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=4034
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 51
December 15th, 2018 at 11:52:35 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

It's really just ideological extremists and corporations that favor our system. And I guess some rich people.

That's one aspect: The other seems to be "Why should I be forced to pay for something I won't use when that lazy unemployed guy will get an equal service at no cost to him?" A slightly trickier question, I reckon. But I answer it with "If everyone had SOME access to ACCEPTABLE healthcare, even if I have to pay for it, that might save ME from a pandemic. It might save ME from absurd drug costs in the control of big corporations which have never had to compete on price."
Helping the poor might just keep a bit of civilization together, because the alternative might be ghettos.

Just weigh up the evidence. Real, Today, Here and now evidence.
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
December 15th, 2018 at 11:57:04 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

I had to have that appt. to get a referral to the Dr. I actually needed to see, a Dr. who could perform a spinal epidural with fluoroscopy [sp]. It took 4 weeks to see that Dr. who set me up for the epidural 2 weeks later. So for a herniated disc, steroid injection, while in a lot of pain, it took ten weeks to get an injection.

To add insult to injury, I think this guy was some kind of sadist, who rather than give the regular epidural, gave 6 facet joint injections, which take a very long needle, as they go in from the side. All without even local anesthetic.

That risky procedure, could have left you paralyzed. My friend had the procedure, and lost the sense of feel in his fingertips.

When I had herniated disks a few years ago, my physician wanted to schedule me for spinal injections and spinal fusion surgery two weeks after my initial visit.

Fortunately I saw this on Dr. Oz, the same day, and opted for chiropractic treatment, which healed my condition within a few weeks.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 50
December 15th, 2018 at 12:00:41 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Hasnít the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the ACA twice now?

Gotta love those activist Texas judges!

Yes, they did but the Supreme Court upheld the ACA on the basis that the individual mandate was no more than an income tax rule, and thus was within the rights of the federal government. Now that the Congress subsequently removed the income tax penalty, the Congress has no Constitutional authority to require people to buy health insurance, thus allowing parts or all of the ACA to lapse into "un-constitutionality".
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
December 15th, 2018 at 12:04:52 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Some days are better than others for working Americans. Yesterday was one of the best! When the SC upholds it will an even better one.

Now if we could just get the Farm Bill with the work requirements passed.

Make Americans Accountable Again!

*bookmarking this post for future use*
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 207
December 15th, 2018 at 12:06:40 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Yes, they did but the Supreme Court upheld the ACA on the basis that the individual mandate was no more than an income tax rule, and thus was within the rights of the federal government. Now that the Congress subsequently removed the income tax penalty, the Congress has no Constitutional authority to require people to buy health insurance, thus allowing parts or all of the ACA to lapse into "un-constitutionality".

It's an interesting argument, but the penalty was reduced to zero, not eliminated. A subtle difference, to you and me but something lawyers will argue over for the next two years. I think it's the biggest gift to Democrats since the trumkorph himself.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
December 15th, 2018 at 12:14:44 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

That's one aspect: The other seems to be "Why should I be forced to pay for something I won't use when that lazy unemployed guy will get an equal service at no cost to him?" A slightly trickier question, I reckon. But I answer it with "If everyone had SOME access to ACCEPTABLE healthcare, even if I have to pay for it, that might save ME from a pandemic. It might save ME from absurd drug costs in the control of big corporations which have never had to compete on price."
Helping the poor might just keep a bit of civilization together, because the alternative might be ghettos.

Just weigh up the evidence. Real, Today, Here and now evidence.

What you are describing is a disagreement between an ideological extreme, the view that nothing is more upsetting than a poor person seeing a doctor because they don't deserve it (but I'd be overjoyed to pay. $50k a year to keep them in a cage) and pretty much everyone else.

Among the GP there are certainly people who are not thrilled with moochers, but the idea of an undeserving child seeing a doctor doesn't make them so angry that they set aside alll pragmatic consideration.

Others might be hardcore anarchist s or libertarians.

Others are simply misinformed. Our politicians and media spent decades telling tall tales of how you had to wait 20 years to get a broken arm fixed.

Younger people can access facts online. They also correspond with people in other countries and learn the truth that way.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
December 15th, 2018 at 12:15:21 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I think it's the biggest gift to Democrats since the trumkorph himself.

I see lots of celebrating on the right over this verdict (that most experts think will be easily overturned, sorry Boz).

The GOP just got their asses handed to them in November, in large part because of their attempts to destroy the protections guaranteed by the ACA. Those that survived the slaughter blatantly lied and pretended like they supported the ACA and itís protections for those with preexisting conditions (Iím lookin at you, Rick Scott).

So this ruling potentially allows the Dems to use the ACA as their main rallying cry again in 2020. Sounds like a plan...
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 173
December 15th, 2018 at 12:16:06 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

It's an interesting argument, but the penalty was reduced to zero, not eliminated. A subtle difference, to you and me but something lawyers will argue over for the next two years. I think it's the biggest gift to Democrats since the trumkorph himself.

No fearmongering required for all the Americans with pre-existing conditions who can rightly start going into full panic mode any minute now.
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 51
December 15th, 2018 at 12:23:17 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

No fearmongering required for all the Americans with pre-existing conditions who can rightly start going into full panic mode any minute now.

Who'd be stupid enough to have a pre-existing condition? It's not as if they didn't know about it in advance $:o) $:o)

But seriously, the whole pre-existing condition thing is one hot potato. Get that wrong as a party ( or president) and you are screwed.
Lying about the provision will surely only be sustainable short term.
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.

• Jump to: