Thread Rating:

ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
October 4th, 2014 at 1:03:52 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Perhaps they're just cheap. Occam's Razor, the most logical reason is usually the right one.

In my opinion, the most logical reason is, they're not home.

Tell me, which is cheaper - giving out candy, or having egg stains removed from your house (or worse, your car, if you left it out on the street or in the driveway)? Don't think that it doesn't happen any more (especially after an episode of The Simpsons where this is done), or that there's much chance of catching who does it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 4th, 2014 at 1:09:07 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

And why aren't they home? The couple across the
street is always there 364 nights a year. Except
on H-Ween, they're always gone. What a co-inkydink..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
October 4th, 2014 at 3:03:24 PM permalink

And why aren't they home? The couple across the street is always there 364 nights a year.

Even New Year's Eve?

I didn't say that every couple that doesn't have its porch light on goes out; I just said that it's the "most obvious reason".
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 4th, 2014 at 3:31:03 PM permalink

Even New Year's Eve?

Especially NYE. I never go out then either,
it's amateur night. Too many drunk drivers.
In the bar it was the worst night of the year
and the busiest. I dreaded it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 4th, 2014 at 6:54:14 PM permalink

Perhaps they're just cheap. Occam's Razor,
the most logical reason is usually the right
one. Candy in the 50's and 60's was cheap,
today it's expensive. I would say 75% of the
time it's because they don't want to spend
the money.

I don't buy that candy was cheaper then in real terms. When I was a kid there were people who still gave out full-size Clark bars, thought who knows they may have worked in the factory which is now a blood bank. Some other things differed then, though. More people worked a conventional shift. People were home at 6. At the same time, it was uncommon to go out to eat. So the lights were on.

Today people are more likely to work evenings. Or they may have other things to do. Or they are like me and hate the entire stupid thing and simply avoid it. I once even went to the courthouse rather than the office to avoid the dress-up and potluck food there. IIRC I was the only one that did, at least one of the few.

Especially NYE. I never go out then either,
it's amateur night. Too many drunk drivers.
In the bar it was the worst night of the year
and the busiest. I dreaded it.

Never been in a bar NYE, never intend to. Go to bed at my normal time. Usually only stay up if I am working a gig.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
October 4th, 2014 at 8:14:06 PM permalink

Quote: AZDuffman

I saw the first Spirit Store on Labor Day weekend. I cannot stand Halloween, it is a completely stupid holiday.

It's a day of celebration, rooted in Christianity.
Not even my wife gives out candy anymore,
and that just stopped two years ago. With
all these morbidly obese whale kids wandering
around, why be an enabler to their disease..

Don't step on the flaming bag, there's a fresh dump in it. Just buy fricking candy cheap arse, no excuses.
I am a robot.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 4th, 2014 at 10:08:48 PM permalink
I give out the full size candy bars, not the wee little ones everybody else gives.

To me, it just seems the right thing to do; kind of like giving a little bit back to the community.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 4th, 2014 at 11:12:42 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

To me, it just seems the right thing to do; kind of like giving a little bit back to the community.

Diabetes enabler..
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
October 4th, 2014 at 11:53:28 PM permalink
I live in a condominium complex......should I be expecting trick-or-treaters here?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
October 5th, 2014 at 9:18:26 AM permalink
Quote: RS

I live in a condominium complex......should I be expecting trick-or-treaters here?

It depends. How close is your front door to the street? What's in the neighborhood - other condos? Houses? Does your condo have a "reputation" of any sort?

It comes down to, how easy is it for kids to get to your door?
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
October 5th, 2014 at 9:30:57 AM permalink
As you can maybe tell from my handle. I own a vending company. As such it's just easier for me to give out full size candy bars. Needless to say my house is pretty popular.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
October 5th, 2014 at 9:39:19 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Exactly - I do not see how cheapness comes into it other than being one of the myriad of reasons people choose to not celebrate...

Didnt you give out 10% off Divorce Services one year and tell kids to give them to whichever parent they liked more?

Not cheap in my mind, just good business.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
October 5th, 2014 at 11:26:40 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

Didnt you give out 10% off Divorce Services one year and tell kids to give them to whichever parent they liked more?

Not cheap in my mind, just good business.

HAHA I love it!!! Teach the kids about the real world
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 5th, 2014 at 12:01:29 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Good idea, a business card attached to
a candy bar with a rubber band. Free
advertising right to the consumer. 10%
off, a hundred cards given out, just 2
new clients could mean a lot of money.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
October 5th, 2014 at 4:35:49 PM permalink
My neighbors across the road have pet geese. They are definitely pets; they've had them for years now, with no stew pot in sight. When I bought my home here I thought it was a bit odd that someone would want to go to the trouble to raise Mr. & Mrs. Goose if they are not to be named named Dinner and Supper, especially since it involves keeping these waterfowl friends in the middle of the Mojave Desert, but okay, different strokes and all, whatever. Then eventually I came to learn that they are really effective at performing some other practical functions that some people keep other kinds of critters for. It seems that geese are not at all friendly to strangers, or at least these aren't. They can be downright mean to unfamiliar visitors to their 'hood and fearlessly eager to let anyone know it, and it seems they have absolutely no use for salesmen and other assorted foot canvassers and even less compassion for shiftless little beggars looking to extort candy handouts and whatnot. If a platoon of those precious nippers dressed as werewolves and carnivorous beasts and ninja warriors and suchlike tries to launch an operation to battle their way to that porch in about three and a half weeks, I think you really want your money on the geese.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 5th, 2014 at 6:28:28 PM permalink
My wife says she quit handing out candy last
year because the 'kids' are getting older
and older. Now there are tons of college
kids doing it, and they don't even wear
costumes. When I was doing, 5th grade was
the cut off. 10 years old. 6 graders never
went, they were too tall and wouldn't get
anything.
JackStraw8004
JackStraw8004
  • Threads: 12
October 11th, 2014 at 3:54:51 AM permalink
Spirit Stores are vultures. They benefit from the misfortunes of others. Empty storefronts exist because the previous business failed. Spirit Stores come in there every September with their 2 month leases.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 11th, 2014 at 4:21:23 AM permalink
Quote: JackStraw8004

Spirit Stores are vultures. They benefit from the misfortunes of others. Empty storefronts exist because the previous business failed. Spirit Stores come in there every September with their 2 month leases.

So let me get this straight. Spirit Stores rent space that would otherwise be sitting empty and this makes them bad how exactly?
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
October 11th, 2014 at 5:44:35 AM permalink

Perhaps they're just cheap. Occam's Razor,
the most logical reason is usually the right
one. Candy in the 50's and 60's was cheap,
today it's expensive. I would say 75% of the
time it's because they don't want to spend
the money.

this is sooo true. We spent almost $40 on candy last year.

You said people were being cheap. In a way I agree with that, but in our case it is more being poor. $40 this year would be a little rough, luckily we will not be home this year.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
October 11th, 2014 at 5:47:15 AM permalink

It depends. How close is your front door to the street? What's in the neighborhood - other condos? Houses? Does your condo have a "reputation" of any sort?

It comes down to, how easy is it for kids to get to your door?

kids are very lazy. We have an uphill driveway that is about 50 yards long. Last year I sat on my porch with candy and the light on and I watched kids just walk right by me.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 11th, 2014 at 6:27:17 AM permalink
Halloween is a big decorating deal to my wife (interior only) and that is about it for us. We've never had more than one person come to our door for candy (we always have some, which I end up taking to work). Our street has large lots and not many houses...everyone knows the place to go is in town where there are six to ten houses in the same space...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 11th, 2014 at 6:38:53 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

Halloween is a big decorating deal to my wife (interior only) and that is about it for us. We've never had more than one person come to our door for candy (we always have some, which I end up taking to work). Our street has large lots and not many houses...everyone knows the place to go is in town where there are six to ten houses in the same space...

In Rochester my office manager lived on such a block. She said the innner-city would drop vans and busses of kids off and they got slammed. A good reason to not be home if I ever heard one.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2014 at 12:36:02 PM permalink

In Rochester my office manager lived on such a block. She said the innner-city would drop vans and busses of kids off and they got slammed. A good reason to not be home if I ever heard one.

This is common now. In the 50's if they didn't
know you or you didn't seem like you were
from the neighborhood (black kids, for instance)
you got nothing. My last year of going, when I
was 10, I branched out to the next neighborhood
over and had a really hard time. People were
constantly telling me I was too big (I was an average
height 10 year old!) or they didn't know me.

Now we have college kids going door to door miles
from where they live.
MrV
MrV
October 11th, 2014 at 1:52:27 PM permalink
I enjoyed the days before Halloween, when we created havoc.

Doorbell night.

Chalk night.

Soap night.

Toilet paper night.

Then on the thirtieth: combine all into Mischief night.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2014 at 1:57:26 PM permalink
There's an old church with a cemetery a mile
from my house. I own property here so I
have a free plot there. I know at least a dozen
people buried there. Some years I think I
will go there at dusk on Halloween and stay
until it's fully dark, and walk the headstones
with my dog. I never do it, I always get cold
feet.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 11th, 2014 at 2:03:33 PM permalink

There's an old church with a cemetery a mile
from my house. I own property here so I
have a free plot there. I know at least a dozen
people buried there. Some years I think I
will go there at dusk on Halloween and stay
until it's fully dark, and walk the headstones
with my dog. I never do it, I always get cold
feet.

I never would've guessed lol.

The one here is full of super old trees, big old gnarly pines and towering maples. It sits on a ledge on a cliff face, so it's perpetually shaded. Very pretty and incredibly serene. Spent a lot of nights there.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2014 at 2:08:09 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I never would've guessed lol.

The one here is full of super old trees, big old gnarly pines and towering maples. It sits on a ledge on a cliff face, so it's perpetually shaded. Very pretty and incredibly serene. Spent a lot of nights there.

I've been in cemeteries at night, just never
on H-ween. I go to cemeteries in lots of
places. There is a big one in Santa Barbara
on a cliff over looking the ocean, I went
there a lot to read. Very quiet with a great
view.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
October 11th, 2014 at 2:11:09 PM permalink
As a teenager would often dare a date to sit on Black Agnes's chair in local cemetery. Big black marble chair. Big enough to hide a buddy behind. Who would reach around and grab the girl. OMG, the screams. LOL
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Buzzard
Buzzard
October 11th, 2014 at 2:14:49 PM permalink
Also knew a bookie who rented out top floor of this old house, at top of a hill, inside a cemetery. Could see cops coming for miles. Back then he wrote bets down on blue paper that would dissolve as soon as it hit the bucket of water next to his desk.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 11th, 2014 at 2:56:12 PM permalink
I was in a drop-off neighborhood in Daytona area. Our best night was 300 kids, but usually not under 200. We enjoyed it; we had a corner house, could see kids running in all directions. Decorated for it, enjoyed getting scared and admiring costumes.

Neighborhood I'm in now, not a kid in 2 years. Don't know what the difference is.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
October 11th, 2014 at 6:41:32 PM permalink
I love Halloween. It's tons of fun.

My wife and I decorate inside and out, going completely overboard every year. Each year, we carve upwards of 40 pumpkins, using a Dremel, almost all of which we grow! Last year we grew over 60 - which came from over 80 plants. Every side of our house has pumpkin vines growing.

We have close to 200 or more kids, and probably just as many adults. We still even go to the haunted houses. We also throw a halloween party - where everyone dresses up, and we play "Young Frankenstein" on the overhead projector.

I refuse to ever grow up!

-Keyser
Buzzard
Buzzard
October 11th, 2014 at 11:06:50 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I was in a drop-off neighborhood in Daytona area. Our best night was 300 kids, but usually not under 200. We enjoyed it; we had a corner house, could see kids running in all directions. Decorated for it, enjoyed getting scared and admiring costumes.

Neighborhood I'm in now, not a kid in 2 years. Don't know what the difference is.

Might have something to do with the moat and the pit bulls running loose ? ? ?
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
October 19th, 2014 at 9:39:24 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

I love Halloween. It's tons of fun.

My wife and I decorate inside and out, going completely overboard every year. Each year, we carve upwards of 40 pumpkins, using a Dremel, almost all of which we grow! Last year we grew over 60 - which came from over 80 plants. Every side of our house has pumpkin vines growing.

We have close to 200 or more kids, and probably just as many adults. We still even go to the haunted houses. We also throw a halloween party - where everyone dresses up, and we play "Young Frankenstein" on the overhead projector.

I refuse to ever grow up!

-Keyser

Good for you! We also grow pumpkins and give many away. Speaking of pumpkins, we're driving to Providence later this afternoon to meet with friends and plan on attending the Jack-O- Lantern Spectacular at Roger Williams Park Zoo. We've seen it before and it is spectacular.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
MrV
MrV
October 19th, 2014 at 9:48:40 AM permalink
Cemeteries are a dying institution. *ahem*

Most people today opt to be cremated, not buried in a coffin.

Assuming this trend continues, how will cemeteries remain viable, without an influx of new bodies to keep the coffers full and the remaining cemeteries properly maintained?

And how does this bode for the future of Halloween?

If nobody is buried in the future, the notion of scary skeletons would seem irrelevant; tough to visualize costumes made of ashes and bone fragments.
"What, me worry?"
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
October 19th, 2014 at 10:12:03 AM permalink

If nobody is buried in the future, the notion of scary skeletons would seem irrelevant; tough to visualize costumes made of ashes and bone fragments.

There will always be ghosts...and masked serial killers...and slutty nurses.

What will there be more of this year - toddlers dressed as minions from Despicable Me, or sisters dressed as Elsa and Anna from Frozen?
MrV
MrV
October 19th, 2014 at 10:25:05 AM permalink
I wonder if kids will go around wearing costumes that make them look like an Ebola victim?

They could drape themselves in a hospital gown, and have ketchup flooding out of their ears, nose, mouth and rectum.
"What, me worry?"
1BB
1BB
October 19th, 2014 at 10:37:57 AM permalink

I wonder if kids will go around wearing costumes that make them look like an Ebola victim?

They could drape themselves in a hospital gown, and have ketchup flooding out of their ears, nose, mouth and rectum.

Only if the Twizzlers are reshaped to look like the virus.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 19th, 2014 at 11:10:31 AM permalink

Cemeteries are a dying institution. *ahem*

Most people today opt to be cremated, not buried in a coffin.

Assuming this trend continues, how will cemeteries remain viable, without an influx of new bodies to keep the coffers full and the remaining cemeteries properly maintained?

And how does this bode for the future of Halloween?

We cannot keep using huge plots of land to bury our dead. I have heard off cemeteries "reselling" plots when the deceases has been dead 100 years. People used to be way more concerned with being buried. I see wills all the time directing what would easily be $10M in today's dollars to be spent on the headstone. The older generation told me as a kid that they had to mow their loved one's graves weekly in many cases. By high school I knew a few kids went all the time.

After age 10 or so I never saw the point. I haven't went to do more than check out dates to see how old some smaller ones are. Although I find it touching the stories of dogs who never left the grave site of their masters I just can't get into it. I would prefer my body go to a medical school or something.
MrV
MrV
October 19th, 2014 at 11:23:05 AM permalink
Perhaps the custom of visiting and maintaining graves is an outmoded form of ancestor worship.

It's a vestige of a bygone era, if so.

These days we throw mama in an assisted care facility, not in a spare bedroom.

People have become disposable, along with everything else.
"What, me worry?"
GWAE
GWAE
October 20th, 2014 at 10:43:37 AM permalink
Saw on facebook, it made me chuckle.
This year for Halloween I am going as a Democrat. When kids come to my door I'll take half their candy and give it to those too lazy to go trick or treating.
1BB
1BB
October 31st, 2014 at 3:54:08 AM permalink
Wow! This thread is even older than the highly controversial one that I brought up yesterday from the Free Speech Zone. Thankfully this is a much lighter subject.

Happy Halloween, everyone! To those who may be offended by this American tradition please take this in the "spirit" that it is given which is extending you well wishes. Inclement weather is approaching us in New England but I think the kiddies will be okay for this evening's foray.

We went to the Jack-O-Lantern display at Roger Williams Park Zoo that I posted about earlier. The pumpkins created by the many talented artists were something to behold. We had a bunch of comped tickets but I was surprised at the $16 admission, not for myself but for the families with kids. We were able to make one single mom with four kids in tow very happy.

If anyone is going to Mohegan Sun this weekend, visit their haunted house. It's located where the gingerbread house is every Christmas and is a quick walk through. For those with kids, and I'm not judging you, there are some good photo ops. Enjoy!

Who is Bobby "Boris" Pickett?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 31st, 2014 at 5:21:40 AM permalink
I hate Halloween but love this jingle:

chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
October 31st, 2014 at 5:32:51 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Who is Bobby "Boris" Pickett?

Wilson Pickett's brother? :)

Nah, Monster Mash man.
1BB
1BB
October 31st, 2014 at 5:39:53 AM permalink
Quote: chickenman

Wilson Pickett's brother? :)

Nah, Monster Mash man.

Wrong color. You should've posted this "in the midnight hour".

Bobby was born in Boston. Okay, Somerville. Close enough. We won't hold that against him.
chickenman
chickenman
October 31st, 2014 at 5:47:30 AM permalink
Yeah, that's why there was a smiley.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
October 31st, 2014 at 6:57:47 AM permalink

I hate Halloween but love this jingle:

They make the best masks!!!
1BB
1BB
October 31st, 2014 at 9:10:48 AM permalink
I just saw this on the news. Police in Hartford are asking, in a forceful way according to some, all stores to remove all eggs and toilet paper from their shelves. Legitimate request or overreaction?
chickenman
chickenman
October 31st, 2014 at 9:18:30 AM permalink
Overreaction
1BB
1BB
October 31st, 2014 at 9:58:54 AM permalink
On a related but non Halloween note the town of Westminster, Massachusetts is pursuing a ban on the sale of all tobacco products. It would be the first in the state and possibly the country.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 31st, 2014 at 10:39:20 AM permalink
Phish playing Vegas tonight.
They typically play another bands album as their halloween costume.
Past years on Halloween they have performed Beatles White Album, Dark Side of the Moon, Exile on Main St, Waiting for Columbus.
Not a huge Phish fan but their Halloween costume album performances are pretty amazing.
I have a copy of their Haloween white album performance and Dark side of the moon album performance, pretty amazing as they nailed both albums.
MGM arena tonight.
Any geuses?
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
  • Jump to: