11 votes (19.29%)
16 votes (28.07%)

57 members have voted

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 2nd, 2018 at 3:31:11 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

This gets old after a while, people just keep asserting they know everything when none of us know anything. It's especially irritating coming from the atheists, their brains are close minded, but they think they're superior and open minded.

I don't feel superior; I do feel significantly "less encumbered" by religious dogma since I told the church to take a hike when I was fifteen.

As for god, ask yourself a couple questions:

Where did god come from, i.e. what was the source of creation?

If god has always existed: how can that be?

Why would a perfect god create a universe? Was god bored? Is god only a universe-class troll / sadist wanting to judge and hurl those deemed lacking into a fiery furnace?

Did you know that "god" is "dog" spelled backwards?
"What, me worry?"
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
  • Threads: 0
January 2nd, 2018 at 4:37:22 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I don't feel superior; I do feel significantly "less encumbered" by religious dogma since I told the church to take a hike when I was fifteen.

You were the one to take a hike. And you never looked back. The Church did you a disservice by painting everything in black and white.

As for god, ask yourself a couple questions:

Where did god come from, i.e. what was the source of creation?

God goes/comes in a circle?

If space-time is finite, then why not also infinite? Just don't combine the two unless you want a circle on the outside about a center on the inside.

Why would a perfect god create a universe? Was god bored? Is god only a universe-class troll / sadist wanting to judge and hurl those deemed lacking into a fiery furnace?

God and Devil are only a part of the universe, to combine along the way into something more. I think to say that God created the universe is to say that God is in every part of it. A type of pantheism? But that would be to overdo it.

Did you know that "god" is "dog" spelled backwards?

The letters of the word atheist spell out eat what? And that doesn't require a reversal per se of its letters. I guess there are a lot of weird reversals. The Devil lived (as an angel).
Never make a bet that you wouldn't take, yourself.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
RogerKintMaxPen
January 2nd, 2018 at 4:59:02 PM permalink

I ask the same question about the "singularity" that supposedly exploded, known as the big bang (theory). Atheists/scientists have no problems believing in something that's unexplainable, but as soon as God is brought into the mix....
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 2nd, 2018 at 6:39:57 PM permalink
Quote: RS

but as soon as God is brought into the mix....

God would be the easiest to prove
phenom in the universe if he was
real. Beyond easy. Instead of proof
we get conjecture and wishful
thinking. There is more proof of
Santa than there is of god.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
January 2nd, 2018 at 6:50:47 PM permalink

I ask the same question about the "singularity" that supposedly exploded, known as the big bang (theory). Atheists/scientists have no problems believing in something that's unexplainable, but as soon as God is brought into the mix....

Here's how it really happened!

https://youtu.be/Ij4RKNWQ-5g
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
January 2nd, 2018 at 6:56:26 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

That would be true how? What kind of proof would you expect? Him leaving his fingerprints somewhere, what?
I am a robot.
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
January 2nd, 2018 at 7:00:14 PM permalink

So easy that no proof is required or exists.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/10/28/scientists-say-universe-shouldnt-exist-and-believers-in-god-will-love-one-question-that-stumps-them
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 2nd, 2018 at 7:59:13 PM permalink

That would be true how? What kind of proof would you expect?

Any kind of real proof at all would be
nice. Not if and if and if, and it points
to god. That's not proof, unless you're
desperate and have no idea what proof
means.

Instead we get hundreds of religions
babbling nonsense, all claiming to be the
real thing without a shred of evidence.
Giant waste of time.
rxwine
rxwine
January 2nd, 2018 at 8:22:50 PM permalink

Science has found the solution to many mysteries over a thousand years or so.. Religionists are forced to regress into greater and more difficult questions in order to keep saying god is the answer.

Now they are down to just a few of the most difficult.

It's their last hope.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
January 2nd, 2018 at 8:48:25 PM permalink

Any kind of real proof at all would be
nice. Not if and if and if, and it points
to god. That's not proof, unless you're
desperate and have no idea what proof
means.

Instead we get hundreds of religions
babbling nonsense, all claiming to be the
real thing without a shred of evidence.
Giant waste of time.

I cannot even imagine what proof of God would be. If you wanted to see, touch, hear God, that would be proof, but how could you prove even then that God isn't just God-like? I can't even really imagine such a universe, I can start, but it just ends up confusing. A universe where God was odorless, invisible, massless, I think that's the perfect universe a God would want, which is what we have. I'm not really sure a God would want to be directly inside a universe he created.
I am a robot.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 2nd, 2018 at 10:31:09 PM permalink

I cannot even imagine what proof of God would be.

Oh, please.

Look to your freakin' bible for the answer.

Old or New Testament.

Show us some real miracles, things we can see, film, analyze and not explain away as anything other than being inexplicable miracles.

Maybe a parting of Lake Huron, or something simple like turning water into wine.

Just ... one ... miracle

That's all, just one.

Miracles like I described used to be very common, or so they say.

What happened, are we unworthy now?
"What, me worry?"
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
January 2nd, 2018 at 10:54:47 PM permalink

Oh, please.

Look to your freakin' bible for the answer.

Old or New Testament.

Show us some real miracles, things we can see, film, analyze and not explain away as anything other than being inexplicable miracles.

Maybe a parting of Lake Huron, or something simple like turning water into wine.

Just ... one ... miracle

That's all, just one.

Miracles like I described used to be very common, or so they say.

What happened, are we unworthy now?

Haven't you figured it out by now, I give two shits about what the Bible says because the Bible is useless in a philosophical discussion. I'm not religious, miracle is just an expression for something happening not expected and considered rare. I don't expect proof, proof would be a sign of weakness imo.

Besides true miracles, what else?
I am a robot.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
January 2nd, 2018 at 11:29:53 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Science has found the solution to many mysteries over a thousand years or so..

So which one of the 23 (and counting) different theories of evolution do you subscribe to?
I find Big Bang sounds a whole lot like Genesis 1. Go back 100 years, not 1000 and there is no Big Bang, the Universe always existed!
When DNA was discovered, the scientist said he had discovered the hand of God. Such a shame that a significant minority of scientists are Christians isn't it?

Psalm 14King James Version (KJV)
14 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

2 The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the Lord.

5 There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.

6 Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the Lord is his refuge.

7 Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the Lord bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
RS
RS
January 3rd, 2018 at 12:09:16 AM permalink

Science has found the solution to many mysteries over a thousand years or so..

Another perspective would be that science hasn't found the solutions to all the mysteries it says it has, it has just changed their stance over time. A theory or hypothesis is made, if there is evidence (not proof) supporting it, then it is believed. Then when there is evidence against that theory, the theory is changed to fit the current known evidence, until/if there is evidence disproving that theory. That is (in short) the scientific method*, is it not?

Of course, the scientific method also includes parts about being able to re-do an experiment. Unfortunately [for science], this really can't be done for things that (supposedly) happened millions or billions of years ago or over that length of time. You can't conduct an experiment to replicate or resemble the big bang or evolution. You can only observe the universe around us....and given the length of time evolution (supposedly) occurred over or how long ago the big bang (supposedly) happened, we're only living an almost infinitesimally small period of time, in the grand scheme of things.

There are so many unknowns, we don't even know what we don't know. But, such is life.

Religionists are forced to regress into greater and more difficult questions in order to keep saying god is the answer.

Now they are down to just a few of the most difficult.

It's their last hope.

Like?
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2018 at 1:26:07 AM permalink

There are so many unknowns, we don't even know what we don't know.

I hope we're getting beyond making up
fairy tales and myths for what we don't
understand. We can just say we don't
know and wait for the truth. In the old
days a well would dry up or a child would
be be stillborn, and the good Catholics
would find some poor woman and burn
her at the stake as a witch. With the full
blessing of god and the Vatican.

It will be real progress when that whole
supernatural mindset is behind us, which
it obviously isn't if you've been to church
lately.
rxwine
rxwine
January 3rd, 2018 at 1:42:41 AM permalink
Cosmology, Evolution and the brain are actually the hardest questions.

What science has done is added, and continued to add to the knowledge base of those and other fields. We don't have complete pictures in any of those but we've come long way to understanding more and more.

Religion didn't put the Hubble out into Space. Medical science enables us to cure disease that were incurable and treat others instead of letting people die.

What has religion accomplished in the last thousand years by comparison? Anything?

And as far as the three areas mentioned, we will have more bits of the puzzle in each areas in 20, 40, 100 years. And religion will continue to stagnate minds and reveal little, if we go by the trend it has followed so far.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2018 at 1:48:10 AM permalink

And religion will continue to stagnate minds and reveal little, if we go by the trend it has followed so far.

It has to, it has no choice. Stagnating
minds keeps people in the pews and
putting money in the coffers to support
the priest class. That's what it's always
been about since the Catholics were
converting Jews by force and confiscating
all their property. The Vatican didn't get
wealthy beyond belief by getting the
money ethically.
RS
RS
January 3rd, 2018 at 2:26:15 AM permalink

Cosmology, Evolution and the brain are actually the hardest questions.

What science has done is added, and continued to add to the knowledge base of those and other fields. We don't have complete pictures in any of those but we've come long way to understanding more and more.

I don't know what "the brain" has to do with this discussion as I wasn't aware science and religion have differing opinions regarding the brain. I agree, science has added knowledge and researched in those fields, but I also think that's a bit disingenuous to say, as you wouldn't say the same thing about someone who's 2 steps into a Marathon.

Religion didn't put the Hubble out into Space. Medical science enables us to cure disease that were incurable and treat others instead of letting people die.

What has religion accomplished in the last thousand years by comparison? Anything?

I wasn't aware there was some race between religion and science for curing diseases; getting people, telescopes, satellites, etc. into space. You're comparing two non-like things. Which one is better at math? Art or math? That's a rhetorical question.

And as far as the three areas mentioned, we will have more bits of the puzzle in each areas in 20, 40, 100 years.

I agree, although we probably have differing opinions on what "bits to the puzzle" means.

And religion will continue to stagnate minds and reveal little, if we go by the trend it has followed so far.

I'm not sure which trend you're referring to. So far, you've been trying to compare science to religion only in terms of science. Like I said before, which is better at math -- math or art?
rxwine
rxwine
January 3rd, 2018 at 2:36:01 AM permalink
Math.

You can't compare religion to anything but nonsense, or mythology. Or perhaps bad fiction.
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
January 3rd, 2018 at 7:22:28 AM permalink

If neither of us really know anything, which one of us is wasting time on a bunch of crap?

The religious answer(s) and question(s) may be different for each and every one of us. And no waiting for others to show us the way, at any price.

If we all saw things in the same way, it would be a different universe.
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
January 3rd, 2018 at 7:28:39 AM permalink

It has to, it has no choice. Stagnating
minds keeps people in the pews and
putting money in the coffers to support
the priest class. That's what it's always
been about since the Catholics were
converting Jews by force and confiscating
all their property. The Vatican didn't get
wealthy beyond belief by getting the
money ethically.

Does anyone who earns, say, a million dollars a year actually earn it ethically? Causing grief to others at a distance over time is the same as sticking a knife in them now. It's a zero-sum game.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
January 3rd, 2018 at 9:03:05 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I believe in God because there is absolutely no benefit in not believing. How can an AP not believe in God?

The "mass majority" of religions (so no I'm not counting your neighbor who believes in 1 god no one has ever heard of) says there's about 3,000 Gods that different people/religions worship. You're saying you don't believe in 2,999 other gods. As an agnostic atheist, I'm saying I don't believe in just one more. What's the benefit exactly? A false sense of being/purpose that helps people cope with their existence?

How COULD an AP believe in God? AP's believe in logic and mathematics. If everything was secretly weighted (by a god deciding everything, not math), why wouldn't we just say "I believe in god and I'm a good person, so I should just go pull that $100 slot machine and not believe in the house edge, GOD will take care of me!"
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Thanked by
MaxPen
January 3rd, 2018 at 9:08:48 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

The "mass majority" of religions (so no I'm not counting your neighbor who believes in 1 god no one has ever heard of) says there's about 3,000 Gods that different people/religions worship. You're saying you don't believe in 2,999 other gods. As an agnostic atheist, I'm saying I don't believe in just one more. What's the benefit exactly? A false sense of being/purpose that helps people cope with their existence?

How COULD an AP believe in God? AP's believe in logic and mathematics. If everything was secretly weighted (by a god deciding everything, not math), why wouldn't we just say "I believe in god and I'm a good person, so I should just go pull that $100 slot machine and not believe in the house edge, GOD will take care of me!"

It's called Pascal's wager.
I am a robot.
Romes
Romes
January 3rd, 2018 at 10:35:27 AM permalink

It's called Pascal's wager.

Yes, but at some point something's gotta give. Maybe I'm god reincarnated? You should all give me $1 per day to help me along my journey in this physical world. Pascal's wager... if I'm not, then you really only lose a small finite number of currency and nothing else... but if I'm right, then you shall all be infinitely rewarded for your belief and kind gestures (the more the kinder mind you!).

[joke]PM me with your amazon gift card numbers![/joke]

Max - seriously... have you ever went to figure the EV of a play (mail, points, free play, etc, etc) and then went "well god will either let me win or he won't, it's up to him... so who cares about all this math let's just go play and have fun believing in him!" ??? Hell no. You do the math and don't trust god will let you win... like a good AP.
RS
RS
January 3rd, 2018 at 11:55:25 AM permalink

Yes, but at some point something's gotta give. Maybe I'm god reincarnated? You should all give me $1 per day to help me along my journey in this physical world. Pascal's wager... if I'm not, then you really only lose a small finite number of currency and nothing else... but if I'm right, then you shall all be infinitely rewarded for your belief and kind gestures (the more the kinder mind you!).

Max - seriously... have you ever went to figure the EV of a play (mail, points, free play, etc, etc) and then went "well god will either let me win or he won't, it's up to him... so who cares about all this math let's just go play and have fun believing in him!" ??? Hell no. You do the math and don't trust god will let you win... like a good AP.

I think the problem is "you guys" hold all of your belief in science and none in God. So from your perspective, it looks like we hold all of our belief in God and none in science...which isn't how we do it.

[joke]At least we can do math properly. Zing! ;-) [/joke]
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
January 3rd, 2018 at 12:04:51 PM permalink

I think the problem is "you guys" hold all of your belief in science and none in God. So from your perspective, it looks like we hold all of our belief in God and none in science...which isn't how we do it.

[joke]At least we can do math properly. Zing! ;-) [/joke]

The Bible says red wine and dark chocolate have health benefits. Wait that's just propaganda to get you to put them into your body. We're kind of weak and defenseless as a whole to guard against lies and manipulations no matter the source.
I am a robot.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2018 at 12:09:39 PM permalink

I think the problem is "you guys" hold all of your belief in science and none in God.

Belief in god is on a scale from
1 to 10. A 1 is somebody who
believes because he was told to
as a child and has never giver another
thought to it. In an argument about
god he has no arsenal because he's
never had the discussion before.

The vast vast majority of god believers
are 1's and 2's. They are believers in
name only, which is barely a step up
from being an atheist..
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
Thanked by
1MatterToMotion
January 3rd, 2018 at 12:12:39 PM permalink
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Post%20Count
aahigh.com
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2018 at 12:22:46 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Post%20Count

Really, Aaron, you really want to
go down this road with me? You
want to get our back and forth
rivalry going again? The one you
have cried and railed against for
years?

I've been ignoring you since I
came back but if you want that to
stop, that's OK too.
Romes
Romes
January 3rd, 2018 at 1:28:15 PM permalink

...The vast vast majority of god believers
are 1's and 2's. They are believers in
name only, which is barely a step up
from being an atheist..

Bob... you and I agree! But then anyone 3 and up are more so brainwashed and the further up the chain you go the more cult-like it becomes. I've literally lived it with my first serious girlfriend when I was 18. She moved out of her parents house and moved in with a SUPER religious family. I'd say the family was like a 9 (except the daughter still had anal sex with one of my friends because everyone knows god doesn't think anal counts). And even though they were 9 religious the guy still smoked and drank (de-purifying the temple of the body). But enough about religion and hypocrites, we don't have that kind of time ;-).

She wasn't very religious, easily in your 1 or 2 category. Anyways months after moving in with them and receiving constant brainwashing techniques for months on end she then thought we were perfect together, but wanted to double check with god. So she prayed for a sign on whether or not we should be together, and about a week later her grandma got sick (not even life threatening, just the flu). So she broke up with me. Even though we were young and dumb (very dumb) we'd been dating for years and were in love all the same... but this sign from god was the final say in her life, not reality, logic, or reason.

After we broke up she started dating a pastor and I think ended up marrying him and popping out like 5 kids or something (maybe Mormon then lol). The higher up the chain, the more cult/brainwashing it clearly becomes as it effects the persons life in negative ways. She had dreams. She had goals and desires for a career and travel. ALL OF THAT was taken away from her with the brainwashing when she decided to never work and be a stay at home mom of X after getting married far too young. Religion (especially on the high end of the chain... 9's and 10's) destroys peoples lives and dreams, on a daily basis. The more sever cases are the ones further up that list...

Re: Freud and product of your environment.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
Thanked by
Romes
January 3rd, 2018 at 1:43:20 PM permalink
Pascal's wager regarding God.

Which God are we talking about? If we are talking about the one Christianity believes in, I don't think believing in God just so you can hedge your bet will cut it. If you believe in the Bible, I think one has to surrender their whole life to God if they want to be considered for heaven.

It's possible believing and worshiping the wrong God might be worse than being agnostic.
Even in the KJV's 10 commandments, it seems as if God's #1 concern is us believing in other Gods. It seems that's what the #1 and #2 commandments are all about.

I can see why no God would want your money to be split up with another God.

Feel free to send me your excess money and stuff. God doesn't seem to welcome people who have more than they need to take care of themselves and their family.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2018 at 1:48:20 PM permalink

Bob... you and I agree! But then anyone 3 and up are more so brainwashed

My wife's fam are very religious in
that they go to church every week.
But they are really only 2's on the
scale, they never discuss god and if
you try, they get a blank look and
wander away. God to them is taken
for granted, they never think about it.
If you try and force them to, it's almost
physically painful for them. It's a done
deal in their minds, what's to discuss.
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
January 3rd, 2018 at 2:01:30 PM permalink

wander away.

It sounds like you are the one who can't accept others for what they are. Is it that "tenth-degree black belt in science" of yours that causes you to want to know more about religion? Shouldn't the ones who have found it be last on your list of things to check out?
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
January 3rd, 2018 at 2:02:17 PM permalink

My wife's fam are very religious in
that they go to church every week.
wander away. God to them is taken
for granted, they never think about it.
If you try and force them to, it's almost
physically painful for them. It's a done
deal in their minds, what's to discuss.

Only once a week? If so, shame on them. There's no reason they shouldn't be going 4 or 5 times a week and twice on Sundays.

I cant say I really understand the references to the 144,000 natural and 144,000 righteous jews, but from my understanding, that's all that will be allowed into heaven. I cant say I know anyone that's even close to being righteous enough to go to heaven. Perhaps Mother Teresa.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
Face
January 3rd, 2018 at 2:22:43 PM permalink
The danger in any position, including atheistic, is to no longer consider questioning what you believe.

I just have yet to see a supernatural answer as the result to any question so far. Just because the questions become bigger and more complicated doesn't mean they are to be defined as only supernatural . I guess they could be, but for me, would be a first time.

If i'm watching a magician show, and no matter what, I can't explain a trick, I assume the most likely thing first, is that I'm missing some information, or I made a wrong assumption somewhere. Not that it's real magic. But I guess it could be, but why go there right away? We've hardly exhausted possibilities and or made all discoveries.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2018 at 2:41:05 PM permalink
Quote: 1MatterToMotion

It sounds like you are the one who can't accept others for what they are.

You mean I can't accept that so many
are ignorant about the religion they
profess to be a part of? Sure I can, what's
there to 'accept', that they're practically
brainless about it? Who's fault is that,
not mine.

I don't want to know 'more' about religion,
I already know far too much that I wish
I didn't know..
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
RS
January 3rd, 2018 at 2:46:34 PM permalink
I find it most interesting that the predominant vocal group on this issue of whether God exists is the atheists. I really have no concern as to how another believes. My mind will never be changed.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2018 at 2:47:16 PM permalink

I just have yet to see a supernatural answer as the result to any question so far. .

That's funny you should say that. I've
been writing for decades that god is
the rock bottom, bottom of the barrel,
"we're desperate now", answer to any
question you can ask. Not the very first
answer, as so many believers think.

So far science has yet to throw up it's
hands and proclaim the answer is god. To
anything.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2018 at 2:49:34 PM permalink

I find it most interesting that the predominant vocal group on this issue of whether God exists is the atheists. .

Do you find it odd that the most
vocal group against discrimination
is always those being discriminated
against? Try running for the school
board or senator by saying you're
an atheist. You won't get 10 votes.
rxwine
rxwine
January 3rd, 2018 at 3:49:08 PM permalink

I find it most interesting that the predominant vocal group on this issue of whether God exists is the atheists. I really have no concern as to how another believes. My mind will never be changed.

If you think atheists are just trying to fight the truth, what do you think of ex-Scientologist who attack their religion? Or ex-Muslims who attack their religion.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
January 3rd, 2018 at 4:46:05 PM permalink

Just in case simply believing for hedging purposes is not enough, make sure you save a little money for some Ice and a really good air conditioner. (-;

P.S. I'm not an atheist, either is Bob, he just plays one on the forum.
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
January 3rd, 2018 at 4:52:07 PM permalink
Quote:

Dr. Collins was a nonbeliever until he was 27 -- "more and more into the mode of being not only agnostic but being an atheist," as he put it. All that changed after he completed his doctorate in physics and was at work on his medical degree, when he was among those treating a woman dying of heart disease. "She was very clear about her faith and she looked me square in the eye and she said, 'what do you believe?"' he recalled. "I sort of stammered out, 'I am not sure."'

He said he realized then that he had never considered the matter seriously, the way a scientist should. He began reading about various religious beliefs, which only confused him. Finally, a Methodist minister gave him a book, "Mere Christianity," by C.S. Lewis. In the book Lewis, an atheist until he was a grown man, argues that the idea of right and wrong is universal among people, a moral law they "did not make, and cannot quite forget even when they try." This universal feeling, he said, is evidence for the plausibility of God.

Quote:

According to a much-discussed survey reported in the journal Nature in 1997, 40 percent of biologists, physicists and mathematicians said they believed in God -- and not just a nonspecific transcendental presence but, as the survey put it, a God to whom one may pray "in expectation of receiving an answer."

The survey, by Edward J. Larson of the University of Georgia, was intended to replicate one conducted in 1914, and the results were virtually unchanged. In both cases, participants were drawn from a directory of American scientists.

Quote:

"When you are searching for truth you should use every possible avenue, including revelation," said Dr. Murray, who is a member of the Pontifical Academy, which advises the Vatican on scientific issues, and who described the influence of his faith on his work in his memoir, "Surgery of the Soul" (Science History Publications, 2002).

Quote:

Dr. Collins said he believed that some scientists were unwilling to profess faith in public "because the assumption is if you are a scientist you don't have any need of action of the supernatural sort," or because of pride in the idea that science is the ultimate source of intellectual meaning.

But he said he believed that some scientists were simply unwilling to confront the big questions religion tried to answer. "You will never understand what it means to be a human being through naturalistic observation," he said. "You won't understand why you are here and what the meaning is. Science has no power to address these questions -- and are they not the most important questions we ask ourselves?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/23/us/scientists-speak-up-on-mix-of-god-and-science.html
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
January 3rd, 2018 at 4:57:44 PM permalink

I just have yet to see a supernatural answer as the result to any question so far. Just because the questions become bigger and more complicated doesn't mean they are to be defined as only supernatural . I guess they could be, but for me, would be a first time.

You never will find a supernatural answer because such is a limit of answers, as a limit at infinity. But this doesn't mean that one must be smart and exhaust all of the possibilities, or be one of a select few. Just the opposite.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2018 at 6:40:43 PM permalink

But this doesn't mean that one must be smart and exhaust all of the possibilities,

Of course it does, how else do you arrive
at the truth. Stop halfway through and
proclaim god is the answer? God is never
(never ever) the correct answer to any
question.

Finally, a Methodist minister gave him a book, "Mere Christianity," by C.S. Lewis.

That old fraud, what a lot of minds
he's fooled. Because a lot of different
cultures came to the same conclusions
about murder and theft and rape, that
means there is a universal code of ethics
by some divine force? No, it doesn't.

It's instinct, it's human nature. Just because
bears in China have same habits as bears
in Wyoming doesn't mean they are
connected supernaturally. It's just bear
instinct, it's in their DNA.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2018 at 6:46:46 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I'm not an atheist, either is Bob, he just plays one on the forum.

I am an atheist, been one since the early
80's.
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
January 3rd, 2018 at 7:24:30 PM permalink

Of course it does, how else do you arrive
at the truth. Stop halfway through and
proclaim god is the answer? God is never
(never ever) the correct answer to any
question.

You don't have to approach, touch or know, an absolute truth to guess at or assume it, and then see where that leads. Nothing is absolute, so far as relativity is concerned. Plain science.

It's instinct, it's human nature. Just because
bears in China have same habits as bears
in Wyoming doesn't mean they are
connected supernaturally. It's just bear
instinct, it's in their DNA.

Well, now you're talking. The instinct or nature of a species as a whole rather than the individual. It's not that one does what the others do, but that they collectively do it at all, a collective consciousness in the form of right and wrong.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2018 at 7:55:29 PM permalink

You don't have to approach, touch or know, an absolute truth to guess at or assume it

Name an absolute truth, just one. I dare you.

Quote:

a collective consciousness

CC is not god, nor does it imply a god.
CC is the hot thing right now, it might
explain what science is discovering
about reincarnation. That a universal
consciousness exists, like Jung said it
did. And we are part of it, inside these
bodies or outside of them. It has nothing
to do with a silly god, it's just existence.
It needs to be explained, but I'm sure
the answer will be boring and mundane,
just like all real answers are. It's the fairy
tale non existent gods that are exciting
and melodramatic.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
Thanked by
MaxPen
January 4th, 2018 at 4:35:00 AM permalink
how did a post about EB's 20k post turn into the answer for an existence of a higher power? what you guys smoking
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Romes
Romes
January 4th, 2018 at 7:48:46 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

how did a post about EB's 20k post turn into the answer for an existence of a higher power? what you guys smoking

Clearly the "good" stuff...
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 4th, 2018 at 11:03:45 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

how did a post about EB's 20k post turn into the answer for an existence of a higher power?

Seems perfectly logical to me..
  • Jump to: