Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 74
  • Posts: 2648
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
August 23rd, 2017 at 11:23:12 PM permalink
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/d1db4a3f-68b1-3d83-8058-54f6503aeb87/ss_confederate-submarine-crew.html

The Hunley was a small eight man submarine, and is believed to be the first to sink a battleship. It disappeared after sinking a Union ship and for years it was believed the sub was destroyed in the explosion. Its" torpedo" was not self propelled so the crew had to go right up to the battleship and pretty much ram it with a keg filled with 140 pounds of gunpowder.
When it was discovered in the 1990s, it was a real puzzle as when it was raised, all the crew was sitting at their battle stations, with no sign of any attempt to escape or of panic.
The Hundley sailed three times. On its initial sailing, the crew all died. After it was raised, a second crew, including the inventor attempted to sail it down the river into the bay and all perished. All indications are these eight men of the third crew knew they were on a one way mission when they set off.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
petroglyph
petroglyph
Joined: Jan 3, 2013
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 1968
August 24th, 2017 at 11:25:14 PM permalink
Time to dispose of any Jefferson memorabilia. https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9630
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 139
  • Posts: 3650
Thanks for this post from:
SOOPOO
August 25th, 2017 at 7:36:19 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Time to dispose of any Jefferson memorabilia. https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9630




http://www.nj.com/atlantic/index.ssf/2017/08/richard_stockton_bust_temporarily_removed_from_uni.html

Anyone who doesn't think George Washington isn't next on the hit list is crazy. As I have said many times, the most intolerant people on Earth are far left Liberals. Nothing is ever enough for them and you either think like they do or you are a racist. There is no middle ground with them.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 77
  • Posts: 9352
Thanks for this post from:
Boz
August 25th, 2017 at 7:44:24 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

http://www.nj.com/atlantic/index.ssf/2017/08/richard_stockton_bust_temporarily_removed_from_uni.html

Anyone who doesn't think George Washington isn't next on the hit list is crazy. As I have said many times, the most intolerant people on Earth are far left Liberals. Nothing is ever enough for them and you either think like they do or you are a racist. There is no middle ground with them.



I certainly hope you both are wrong. One subset of statues was of traitors, erected to intimidate in a previous Jim Crow era. Intent matters. I think they should be moved to private museums.

The other is statues of Founding Fathers, who were products of their times. Jefferson, in particular, wanted to eliminate slavery right then, through language in the Declaration of Independence, but was forced during pragmatic compromise with the southern states to leave it alone.

A lot of this is hysterical backlash towards Trump's obscene rationalizations. He is mentally ill. I hope cooler heads prevail soon.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
AceCrAAckers
AceCrAAckers
Joined: Jul 12, 2011
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 368
August 25th, 2017 at 10:11:10 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I certainly hope you both are wrong. One subset of statues was of traitors, erected to intimidate in a previous Jim Crow era. Intent matters. I think they should be moved to private museums.

The other is statues of Founding Fathers, who were products of their times. Jefferson, in particular, wanted to eliminate slavery right then, through language in the Declaration of Independence, but was forced during pragmatic compromise with the southern states to leave it alone.

A lot of this is hysterical backlash towards Trump's obscene rationalizations. He is mentally ill. I hope cooler heads prevail soon.



1. Do you honestly believe that there is an outrage because it is a " subset of statues was of traitors?" "[T]hey should be moved to private museums." We should have a private museums dedicate to traitors?

2. Owning slavery was a "product of their times." So a black person should accept them but not a confederate monument. There is a small university in Virginia that is name Washington and Lee. It should be name back to just Washington College. The body of Lee exhumed and reburied in a confederate cemetery. All confederate cemetery to be renamed traitor's cemetery.

Since no one want to say come out and say it I will.
Some whites are afraid to defend parts of American history. The last thing whites want to be is called a racist.
Washington and Jefferson are "Founding Fathers", who were products of their times." Why not come out and say that we embrace the heritage that these men have given us and people who don't like it can take their whining somewhere else.

We all know that only whites are racist so any outrage from the left is justified. Down with slave owners and all monuments and statues of them. Do not veil your racist view by touting "Founding Fathers" nonsense. They owned slave and slavery is wrong. How can you not see this? This is a far left arguments.

When will people have backbone and say enough is enough. Our history is not perfect but I want to preserve it, and learn from it rather than destroy it.
Edward Snowden is not the criminal, the government is for violating the constitution!
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 104
  • Posts: 9504
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
August 25th, 2017 at 10:13:21 AM permalink
Quote: AceCrAAckers



When will people have backbone and say enough is enough. Our history is not perfect but I want to preserve it, and learn from it rather than destroy it.



Your answer is correct and I award you the 1860's.
Vultures can't be choosers.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 74
  • Posts: 2648
August 25th, 2017 at 11:42:12 AM permalink
I don't pretend to speak for anyone but myself.
My problem with statues of Lee, Jackson, Davis, etc,etc isn't that they owned slaves. It is, rather, that they betrayed their oaths to defend and protect the People of the United States. They lead an armed insurrection and lost, all while costing hundreds of thousands of lives.
A simple question. Had George Washington and our Founding Fathers lost, do you think there would be any debate about what to do with their statues?
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 151
  • Posts: 6550
August 25th, 2017 at 11:43:28 AM permalink
Quote: AceCrAAckers


When will people have backbone and say enough is enough. Our history is not perfect but I want to preserve it, and learn from it rather than destroy it.



If you want to learn from it, we definitely need different statues. Try accuracy for one thing. Yeah, all history benefits from accuracy. Anyone claiming the civil war was about one thing would be wrong. Discarding the importance of the slavery issue in it would also be wrong.

If you want to have a backbone worth having don't just defend leaving most of these statues in place. Also, accuracy suggests BBs suggestion of putting them in a museum is not destroying history. I don't think any history should be destroyed no matter how negative. Doesn't mean it all belongs in a public square either.
prisoner of gravity
AceCrAAckers
AceCrAAckers
Joined: Jul 12, 2011
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 368
August 25th, 2017 at 12:19:57 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

If you want to learn from it, we definitely need different statues. Try accuracy for one thing. Yeah, all history benefits from accuracy. Anyone claiming the civil war was about one thing would be wrong. Discarding the importance of the slavery issue in it would also be wrong.

If you want to have a backbone worth having don't just defend leaving most of these statues in place. Also, accuracy suggests BBs suggestion of putting them in a museum is not destroying history. I don't think any history should be destroyed no matter how negative. Doesn't mean it all belongs in a public square either.



Your point being?

I believe in free speech. As much as I may disagree with what you say, I support your right to say it.

When did the monuments of confederate soldiers equal pro slavery?

Why does monuments of public figures that own slaves belong in "public square?" Why aren't you open minded and removes all them and put them in a museum.. Don't you know how hurtful it is for some African Americans to be forced to look at them. Removing confederate monuments are a start but it does not go far enough.

Why can't people answer about Washington. Why do people defend this slave master. Some are offended by him as much as they are offended by statues of Robert E. Lee.
Edward Snowden is not the criminal, the government is for violating the constitution!
petroglyph
petroglyph
Joined: Jan 3, 2013
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 1968
August 25th, 2017 at 12:35:30 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

The other is statues of Founding Fathers, who were products of their times. Jefferson, in particular, wanted to eliminate slavery right then

When did Jefferson release his slaves?

  • Jump to: