Poyak99
Poyak99
  • Threads: 1
October 6th, 2016 at 11:26:32 AM permalink
So as a letter carrier, we have automated mail called DPS. We get this DPS Monday thru Saturday on every delivery route in the US. My question is in a 30 day window what are the chances that 2,000 pieces of DPS is recorded by the machine twice (precisely same day just a month apart). Now the low number in a 3 month time frame is 797 and the high is 3096. And the low for the 30 day window is 1018 and high is 3062. And no other two days in the 3 months are matching except for 2,000. So what's the odds of the same number twice exactly 30 days apart are the same
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
October 6th, 2016 at 1:39:25 PM permalink
How are you getting your numbers? I produce (shuffle and deal) DPS for Venice FL, but our dispatches do not come with run reports.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Poyak99
Poyak99
October 6th, 2016 at 1:47:27 PM permalink
Management's work hours and workload reports
BlueEagle
BlueEagle
  • Threads: 5
October 6th, 2016 at 4:33:14 PM permalink
I don't calculate odds, just wanted to confirm that the numbers you gave are the number of mail pieces in the DPS for your route per day. I think it would be impossible to calculate the odds because there are no constant factors, i.e. too many unknown numbers. DPS consists of mailings from various mailers who enter various amounts of mail into the mail stream on various days.

BTW, not every delivery route in the US gets DPS (Delivery Point Sequence) mail. There are rural routes in the Reno area that get multiple trays of raw working mail every day instead of DPS.
Poyak99
Poyak99
October 6th, 2016 at 9:50:23 PM permalink
I didn't know about rural in Nevada not having DPS. My thoughts were just what are the chances that the same numbers could appear, when there are so many different variables. And yes, those numbers are accurate.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
October 7th, 2016 at 2:51:24 AM permalink
Quote: BlueEagle

BTW, not every delivery route in the US gets DPS (Delivery Point Sequence) mail. There are rural routes in the Reno area that get multiple trays of raw working mail every day instead of DPS.

By contract, rural routes have no DPS, it must be cased by hand. We do it anyway. I'm sure there is a plausible reason.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
  • Jump to: