amazed
amazed
Joined: Sep 5, 2010
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 3
September 5th, 2010 at 11:43:39 AM permalink
A local Oklahoma casino has started a new special. Keep in mind that the casino charges a 50 cent ante for each hand played. They are offering 2 for 1 payouts on suited blackjacks AND they are putting 3 wild cards in each 6 deck shoe. When a dealer deals themselves a wild card it is a dead card and just put in the discard rack and it is replaced with the next card from the shoe. When a player gets the card as one of the first two cards dealt to them - the player gets to decide what they want that card to be. Any blackjacks created from this are automatically suited blackjacks and pay 2 for 1. If they get a 3 and a wild card - they can call it a 7 or 8 and double down. If it is a card dealt after the first two cards to the player they still decide what they want it to be.
My question is this - Does any one know what this does exactly to the house percentage of someone playing basic strategy?
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 10517
September 5th, 2010 at 12:11:51 PM permalink
Before it can be answered, other things must be known. I.E. Does a non-suited BJ pay 3:2? Does the dealer hit or stand on soft 17? What about doubling after splitting and re-splitting? What's the penetration before reshuffling?

But even without knowing those things, I'd venture to say this: Three jokers in a 6 deck shoe does not sway the odds much. Also, more players at the table means a lower chance of getting one of those jokers.

Last, the 50¢ ante is HUGE. Whatever advantage given with the joker and suited BJ is more than taken away with that ante.
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
amazed
amazed
Joined: Sep 5, 2010
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 3
September 5th, 2010 at 12:57:32 PM permalink
To answer your questions - yes - non-suited blackjacks pay 3-2. The house stands on soft 17. Yes - you can resplit and double down on them (except they wont let you resplit face cards unless the are the same - J-J, Q-Q, etc - dont ask!)- andf they seem to deal around 4 aqnd a half decks into the 6 deck shoe - sometimes 5. The table limits are usually 5 min - 500 max. You can also find a table with one, two or no other players depending on the time of day.
amazed
amazed
Joined: Sep 5, 2010
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 3
September 5th, 2010 at 1:03:11 PM permalink
Oh - one more thing - one day a week they are ante-free - on that day - all blackjacks pay regular 3-2 odds. But the blackjacks involving wild cards still pay 2-1.
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
Joined: Jul 13, 2010
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 448
September 5th, 2010 at 1:44:20 PM permalink
Quote: amazed

Oh - one more thing - one day a week they are ante-free - on that day - all blackjacks pay regular 3-2 odds. But the blackjacks involving wild cards still pay 2-1.



That's the only day I would go.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1390
  • Posts: 23442
September 5th, 2010 at 1:59:18 PM permalink
Stanford Wong address jokers in blackjack in his book Basic Blackjack. There he says each joker per deck is worth 4.2% to the player. So half a joker per deck would be worth 2.1%. His book contains a strategy for what card to declare the joker as, according to your other card(s), and the dealer's up card.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Lote
Lote
Joined: May 20, 2010
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 29
September 6th, 2010 at 4:41:16 PM permalink
Which casino is this?
mkl654321
mkl654321
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 65
  • Posts: 3412
September 6th, 2010 at 4:53:04 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Stanford Wong address jokers in blackjack in his book Basic Blackjack. There he says each joker per deck is worth 4.2% to the player. So half a joker per deck would be worth 2.1%. His book contains a strategy for what card to declare the joker as, according to your other card(s), and the dealer's up card.



The question I have is, if you use the joker to construct a double down, are you stuck with that valuation? Let's say you double on 8-Joker and call it a 3--now you receive a 2--can you now call the Joker an Ace? And is it ever worth it to double down if that destroys the option to call the Joker whatever you want, as above?

Otherwise, it would seem that you could always make 21 with the Joker, so you would win, what, 92% of the time, and tie the other 8%---wait, no, if the dealer had a blackjack, you would either lose (if the other card was 2-9) or tie. So since the dealer gets a BJ about 5% of the time, you would still lose 8/13 of those hands...so I guess you would win with the Joker about 89% of the time.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
teddys
teddys
Joined: Nov 14, 2009
  • Threads: 150
  • Posts: 5444
September 6th, 2010 at 5:50:03 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

The question I have is, if you use the joker to construct a double down, are you stuck with that valuation? Let's say you double on 8-Joker and call it a 3--now you receive a 2--can you now call the Joker an Ace? And is it ever worth it to double down if that destroys the option to call the Joker whatever you want, as above?

Otherwise, it would seem that you could always make 21 with the Joker, so you would win, what, 92% of the time, and tie the other 8%---wait, no, if the dealer had a blackjack, you would either lose (if the other card was 2-9) or tie. So since the dealer gets a BJ about 5% of the time, you would still lose 8/13 of those hands...so I guess you would win with the Joker about 89% of the time.

I seem to recall this coming up in an earlier thread. I think it is one of those "let the pit boss decide" rule modifications. Like the triple-down/quadruple down thing at Mohegan Sun. But yeah, if the PB lets you redeclare the joker after a double down, that would be a significant advantage, obviously. I think you would pretty much always double down with a joker in your hand...?
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
mkl654321
mkl654321
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 65
  • Posts: 3412
September 6th, 2010 at 6:25:31 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

I seem to recall this coming up in an earlier thread. I think it is one of those "let the pit boss decide" rule modifications. Like the triple-down/quadruple down thing at Mohegan Sun. But yeah, if the PB lets you redeclare the joker after a double down, that would be a significant advantage, obviously. I think you would pretty much always double down with a joker in your hand...?



I would only double down with 7-Joker or higher, since with 6-Joker or lower I could conceivably be stuck with a 19 or worse, whereas by hitting rather than doubling, I have a certain 21.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw

  • Jump to: